Azalea: New Low Cost or Investment Homes for Cypress Village

anteaterscientist said:
Any comments about the safety of the land from the environment standpoint?

My understanding of all of the former El Toro base land (we live in Portola Springs) is that former hazardous chemicals in the soil from jet fuel etc have been addressed and the soil is safe, just don't eat any crops grown in it. These condos will probably have patios and no yards anyway.

At least, that's what we were told when we were buying here and asked.

USCTrojanCPA said:
They also found out the CalPac will not be paying a broker co-op to agents.

The buyer is supposed to compensate their agent with their own funds? You think this will this lead to buyers trying to go it alone in that case (when the reality of the commission becomes very real, i.e., out of their own pocket as opposed to being formerly paid by Seller)?

peregrine said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

The buyer is supposed to compensate their agent with their own funds? You think this will this lead to buyers trying to go it alone in that case (when the reality of the commission becomes very real, i.e., out of their own pocket as opposed to being formerly paid by Seller)?

Yes, I think so. There already feels like less of a reason to have an agent if you know you are doing new construction and if you have to pay out of pocket it's going to be harder to justify that cost. When we bought with Cal Pac they said absolutely no negotiation on price, upgrades, etc etc so if that's the case and you know all of that going in why have an agent. (I know there are still some great reasons to have someone representing you and looking out for your interests, I can just see a lot of people going that way with it).

peregrine said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

With no broker co-op being offered by the builder, it takes a big incentive for a buyer to use an agent because there will be no rebate to provide. 

USCTrojanCPA said:
peregrine said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

With no broker co-op being offered by the builder, it takes a big incentive for a buyer to use an agent because there will be no rebate to provide.

But do agents have any incentive to show the properties?

A buyer can still pay an agent a couple of grand for peace of mind d or assistance with certain things? Perhaps an hourly fee in these cases.

qwerty said:
A buyer can still pay an agent a couple of grand for peace of mind d or assistance with certain things? Perhaps an hourly fee in these cases.
I don't know how beneficial real estate agents are in this market for new construction. Maybe I just ran into a bad agent, but prior to my issues with her she was pretty useless for new construction. no price reductions, no upgrades, no help in contract reviews, etc. I'd rather just go with no agent and hire a real estate attorney and an inspector for new construction going forward.

qwerty said:

I don't know how many buyers are willing to do that. I would rather just go to the sales center myself, as few things are negotiable for new constructions.

sleepy5136 said:
qwerty said:
I don't know how beneficial real estate agents are in this market for new construction. Maybe I just ran into a bad agent, but prior to my issues with her she was pretty useless for new construction. no price reductions, no upgrades, no help in contract reviews, etc. I'd rather just go with no agent and hire a real estate attorney and an inspector for new construction going forward.

What is a real estate attorney going to do?  Review builder boilerplate purchase agreements that can not be changed or modified?  Total waste of money in my opinion. 

USCTrojanCPA said:
sleepy5136 said:
qwerty said:

What is a real estate attorney going to do?  Review builder boilerplate purchase agreements that can not be changed or modified?  Total waste of money in my opinion.
You're right, but for first time home buyers and maybe ones that do not want to be as involved in the home buying process, it gives one a peace of mind.

sleepy5136 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
sleepy5136 said:
qwerty said:

You're right, but for first time home buyers and maybe ones that do not want to be as involved in the home buying process, it gives one a peace of mind.

The sales people can go over all of the terms of the builder's contract with the buyer.  The builder's contract is a take-it or leave-it thing so there's no real value having a lawyer review it because no changed or edits can be made (other than to names, lot, address, price, incentives, included options, etc). 

USCTrojanCPA said:
sleepy5136 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
sleepy5136 said:
qwerty said:

The sales people can go over all of the terms of the builder's contract with the buyer.  The builder's contract is a take-it or leave-it thing so there's no real value having a lawyer review it because no changed or edits can be made (other than to names, lot, address, price, incentives, included options, etc).
Yeah but I don?t trust the builder. They don?t side with me or ever look out for my own interests. So if you?re experienced and you don?t mind doing the work yourself, great. But I know a lot of people who would not want to go through 100+ documents. But basically you?re proving my point in a way where a real estate agent isn?t necessary needed for new construction.

sleepy5136 said:
Yeah but I don?t trust the builder. They don?t side with me or ever look out for my own interests. So if you?re experienced and you don?t mind doing the work yourself, great. But I know a lot of people who would not want to go through 100+ documents. But basically you?re proving my point in a way where a real estate agent isn?t necessary needed for new construction.

Besides backing out with a help of an agent, what would you need help with?  I'm curious b/c you can't change the documentation the builder gives you.  The only reason to have an agent is if the agent does a rebate, would you rather have 50% of the broker co-op or zero?  If the co-op is $15k, you get 7.5k...it's money, why would you give that 7.5k up by doing it yourself?

akkord said:
sleepy5136 said:

Besides backing out with a help of an agent, what would you need help with?  I'm curious b/c you can't change the documentation the builder gives you.  The only reason to have an agent is if the agent does a rebate, would you rather have 50% of the broker co-op or zero?  If the co-op is $15k, you get 7.5k...it's money, why would you give that 7.5k up by doing it yourself?
That?s assuming the agent will give you 50%.

sleepy5136 said:
akkord said:
sleepy5136 said:

But there are multiple agents on just these forums that will kick back a rebate, with multiple references.  I guess if you chose a bad agent then your SOL, but in the end that was your decision to go with your agent.  Even if it's less at 1/3 it's still 5k.

sleepy5136 said:
akkord said:
sleepy5136 said:

The TI agents here should at least give you 50% minimum!
Some will give more, like 60-80%, so hence the reason you want an agent to sign you in (but confirm the rebate amount before going in), real estate attorney won?t do much for you, like others have mentioned, new construction is pretty much standardized. 

Yes 50% rebate on new construction should be a minimum! The amount time required on new construction by the agent is minimal.

In a buyer's market, an experienced agent can negotiate down the price more than buyer themselves can do, so an agent is useful.

talkirvine said:
In a buyer's market, an experienced agent can negotiate down the price more than buyer themselves can do, so an agent is useful.

I don?t think there are discounts in the current market.

Back