Average Income in Irvine

What do you think the average *real* income in Irvine is?

• Less than $100k

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • $100k

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • $200k

Votes: 26 47.3%
  • $300k

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • More than $300k

Votes: 4 7.3%

• Total voters
MovingOnUp said:
davenlei said:
MovingOnUp said:
so_scared said:
rkp said:
MovingOnUp said:
davenlei said:
Man, I wish I have rich parents to fall back on.  I grew up ghettolicious and had to learn to make do with what I had and work hard to rise up.  I am doing pretty well now but it does feel scary sometimes knowing the only parachute I have is the one I make.

If you're single it's wonderful, but once you're married/established, nothing to wish for. Think of it as a very expensive insurance policy in case of disaster. Christmas is the perfect example where you pay the premium.

This year, we bought my mom a bottega veneta bag vs buying my not so well to do mother-in-law a LV bag. Reason? After my first paycheck, I bought my mom a LV bag which still sits in her closet unused today. Not because of memories or cause it's special, but because she thinks LV is whatever. So instead, we always have to go extreme on her gift so she'll actually use/like it, whereas my mother-in-law will happily use the LV bag daily. And know that I can't afford to be buying bags from bottega.

So again, an expensive insurance policy against disaster.  No disaster, no need.

you are horribly cynical...family is an expensive insurance policy?

15 minutes.....errr...15 inch bottega hobo bag...can save you 15% or more on disaster insurance. perfect!

lol...so scurred, aka it's ok to take money from your in-laws...so quick to pile on? I see reading comprehension fails you.

my response was to daven saying that he wished for rich parents so he could have a parachute and me trying to give an example as to why it's not all that.  That's it. I wasn't saying that's all family is for nor was daven saying that his parents failed him by causing him much stress for being poor.

Do you get it?

Let me elaborate a little.  Only reason I would want rich parents is for me to be able to take a more aggressive risk stance on business ventures and investments so if it blows up in my face, I would not have to tell the wife and kids that we lost our a$$ and need to live in a box (sans stucco).

Since I can't be aggressive, I sometimes pretend play the stock market and also look at what angle I would take when I see a hole in the consumer market.  If I did go aggressive, I would be retired and typing this message from one of my properties around the world.  But since I cannot, I am typing this message from my one house as I take a break from work.  Sigh.

Trust me when I tell you this. Even if your parents were rich, you would NOT have taken those risks if you didn't already take them. Last thing you want to do w/ wife and kids is to go to your parents and say, "uh...I f'ed up, can't provide for my family cause I made a stupid decision to risk it all...so can I get some money?" So don't daydream about what could've been because it would've nevered happened...that's the truth.

When I was single as well as newly married (before kids) I took lots of risks.  I won some and lost some but overall did fairly well.  Once I had kids, that was a game changer.  I did not want to feel like a total failure by ending up in a public bathroom with my son to sleep for the night while someone is banging on the door (scene from Happyness with Will Smith).  Kids change everything.

so_scared said:
MovingOnUp said:
so_scared said:
MovingOnUp said:
so_scared said:
i don't know about your mom, but my in-laws are poor. I am not a doctor/lawyer high earner so i couldn't be choosy about my inlaws. Just had to settle for love only. [I am such a loser.]

I have no aspirations for the indie school. I just hope to get into his quote area one day. That would be be enough for me. I think if my in-laws and outlaws and all the money I almost blew bidding on antioch during short sale bidding pooled together, I might be able to pull off that. one can dream right?

Stop settling and in your own words, you won't be such a loser.

words to live by...great advice. thank you. you are so wise and clever. I mean from phonetically changing my handle to so screwed to adding bold to my post quotes to come up with a funny...excellent!

how is that only your brother is a doctor and you can't afford bottega for mommy? the world just isn't fair.

Not being able to afford bottega would've meant I was window shopping, sort of like you were with your house. Small difference was I actually bought. Keep dreaming and stop settling. In your own words, it already sounds like it's too late w/ your husband, your education, career, but maybe you don't have to settle with your next condo purchase? Good luck.

haha..so you are proud of buying bags you admit you can't afford for your mommy because she hurt your feelings when she threw the LV bag from your first pay check in the closet? No wonder family feels like a insurance transaction to you.

do you like LV? It's the end of the year and I can donate the bag to you as charity as a tax write off.  Which IAC apt should I send it to?

For those who rent that can afford to buy but are waiting for whatever reason, I respect. But for you, a korean girl who grew up knowing/understanding the 4 key marriage system, it's got to be killing you to be renting. Especially if you're married w/ kids. It's all good, no need to feel like you need to keep up with the Kims. Get off Mr So_Scurred arse and give the man a break.

MovingOnUp said:
so_scared said:
MovingOnUp said:
so_scared said:
MovingOnUp said:
so_scared said:
i don't know about your mom, but my in-laws are poor. I am not a doctor/lawyer high earner so i couldn't be choosy about my inlaws. Just had to settle for love only. [I am such a loser.]

I have no aspirations for the indie school. I just hope to get into his quote area one day. That would be be enough for me. I think if my in-laws and outlaws and all the money I almost blew bidding on antioch during short sale bidding pooled together, I might be able to pull off that. one can dream right?

Stop settling and in your own words, you won't be such a loser.

words to live by...great advice. thank you. you are so wise and clever. I mean from phonetically changing my handle to so screwed to adding bold to my post quotes to come up with a funny...excellent!

how is that only your brother is a doctor and you can't afford bottega for mommy? the world just isn't fair.

Not being able to afford bottega would've meant I was window shopping, sort of like you were with your house. Small difference was I actually bought. Keep dreaming and stop settling. In your own words, it already sounds like it's too late w/ your husband, your education, career, but maybe you don't have to settle with your next condo purchase? Good luck.

haha..so you are proud of buying bags you admit you can't afford for your mommy because she hurt your feelings when she threw the LV bag from your first pay check in the closet? No wonder family feels like a insurance transaction to you.

do you like LV? It's the end of the year and I can donate the bag to you as charity as a tax write off.  Which IAC apt should I send it to?

because somehow if i can't afford LV or live in an IAC apartment or if I have a husband, you win? Your true colors are showing...

MovingOnUp said:
For those who rent that can afford to buy but are waiting for whatever reason, I respect. But for you, a korean girl who grew up knowing/understanding the 4 key marriage system, it's got to be killing you to be renting. Especially if you're married w/ kids. It's all good, no need to feel like you need to keep up with the Kims. Get off Mr So_Scurred arse and give the man a break.

man, you can't make this stuff up. so you go back for a edit to "clean up your original" condescending post and you come with that you respect people if they CAN afford to buy but are renting to wait? hahahaha.

so_scared said:
MovingOnUp said:

man, you can't make this stuff up. so you go back for a edit to "clean up your original" condescending post and you come with that you respect people if they CAN afford to buy but are renting to wait? hahahaha.

You can try to poke fun about my family, my income, my career and then you want to question my character? Puh-lease, I'm cool with the insults, but don't get all righteous afterwards.

so_scared said:
MovingOnUp said:

It's the truth. I respect those who can afford to buy but are waiting. Their decision has proven correct and as a result, didn't want to lump them in w/ you. For you, a korean girl, married, probably w/ kid(s), you didn't buy because you were waiting out prices, you didn't cause you couldn't afford it. Generally I wouldn't care to poke fun at you about it, but when you start clowning me on what I can or can't afford, it's a two way street. Play fair and we can keep this going.

MovingOnUp said:
so_scared said:
MovingOnUp said:

It's the truth. I respect those who can afford to buy but are waiting. Their decision has proven correct and as a result, didn't want to lump them in w/ you. For you, a korean girl, married, probably w/ kid(s), you didn't buy because you were waiting out prices, you didn't cause you couldn't afford it. Generally I wouldn't care to poke fun at you about it, but when you start clowning me on what I can or can't afford, it's a two way street. Play fair and we can keep this going.

roflmao. which is it? I am a Korean girl or Mr. so_scurred? You wonder how I could have money to bid on an investment flip on antioch and my family should ask for their money back or I live in IAC apartment?

You keep adding that I have kids? What difference does it make? Because if I had kids, I would be more bitter? I assume you talk this way from experience.

See the difference between me and you...you just make up crap. I just have to quote your own words.

Mommy throws LV bag in the closet from first pay(check).
Family is disaster insurance (check)
I can't afford Bottega bag but I bought it for mommy anyhow (check)

What part did I make up?

so_scared said:
MovingOnUp said:
so_scared said:
MovingOnUp said:

roflmao. which is it? I am a Korean girl or Mr. so_scurred? You wonder how I could have money to bid on an investment flip on antioch and my family should ask for their money back or I live in IAC apartment?

You keep adding that I have kids? What difference does it make? Because if I had kids, I would be more bitter? I assume you talk this way from experience.

See the difference between me and you...you just make up crap. I just have to quote your own words.

Mommy throws LV bag in the closet from first pay(check).
Family is disaster insurance (check)
I can't afford Bottega bag but I bought it for mommy anyhow (check)

What part did I make up?

First statement is true.
Second statement if you learned how to read, you'd know was made up.
Third statement, based on the poll in this thread, my wife and I make over 200k. Whether or not we can afford it, I'm sure there's people who make less that have shopped there.

You're a married korean girl (check)
Your family should ask for their money back (check)
IAC is going to raise your rent at the end of your lease (check)

MovingOnUp said:

MovingOnUp said:
So again, an expensive insurance policy against disaster.  No disaster, no need.

What part did I make up?

MovingOnUp said:
Third statement, based on the poll in this thread, my wife and I make over 200k. Whether or not we can afford it, I'm sure there's people who make less that have shopped there.

MovingOnUp said:
And know that I can't afford to be buying bags from bottega.

Based on this poll? You didn't know how much you and your wife made before the poll? So since people who make less do stupid things like buy bags they can't afford, you are justified or less stupid perhaps? Great reasoning. It isn't whether or not you can afford it, you already stated you can't.

Now, post where I stated I was

1) A korean girl.
2) I have family money
3) Live in IAC.

Thanks for playing.

So Scurred, I like this little thing you invented.

You're a loser (check)
You lack a good career (check)
You settled on your husband (check)
Some other idiot saved your from a slow bleed at antioch (check)

so_scared said:
MovingOnUp said:

MovingOnUp said:

What part did I make up?

MovingOnUp said:

MovingOnUp said:

1) A korean girl.
2) I have family money
3) Live in IAC.

Thanks for playing.

By no disaster no need, meant no need for RICH parents. I think everyone eventually understood the distinction except you.

I'm of the mindset that you need to make 7 figures to shop at a store like bottega.

MovingOnUp said:
so_scared said:
MovingOnUp said:

MovingOnUp said:

What part did I make up?

MovingOnUp said:

MovingOnUp said:

1) A korean girl.
2) I have family money
3) Live in IAC.

Thanks for playing.

By no disaster no need, meant no need for RICH parents. I think everyone eventually understood the distinction except you.

I'm of the mindset that you need to make 7 figures to shop at a store like bottega.

Look man, if you want to show your appreciation to your mom by buying something for her that she will appreciate that you wouldn't even buy for yourself, then good for you [and your understanding wife.]

But don't make assumptions about other people you don't know jack about...

Don't go telling Davenlei that you know for a fact that he would have acted given xx....you don't. Who the heck are you that you know for a fact he would have done xx?

Don't pretend like you know jack about me....you don't.

Show some respect, then I will do the same.

MovingOnUp said:
davenlei said:
MovingOnUp said:
so_scared said:
rkp said:
MovingOnUp said:
davenlei said:
Man, I wish I have rich parents to fall back on.  I grew up ghettolicious and had to learn to make do with what I had and work hard to rise up.  I am doing pretty well now but it does feel scary sometimes knowing the only parachute I have is the one I make.

If you're single it's wonderful, but once you're married/established, nothing to wish for. Think of it as a very expensive insurance policy in case of disaster. Christmas is the perfect example where you pay the premium.

This year, we bought my mom a bottega veneta bag vs buying my not so well to do mother-in-law a LV bag. Reason? After my first paycheck, I bought my mom a LV bag which still sits in her closet unused today. Not because of memories or cause it's special, but because she thinks LV is whatever. So instead, we always have to go extreme on her gift so she'll actually use/like it, whereas my mother-in-law will happily use the LV bag daily. And know that I can't afford to be buying bags from bottega.

you are horribly cynical...family is an expensive insurance policy?

15 minutes.....errr...15 inch bottega hobo bag...can save you 15% or more on disaster insurance. perfect!

lol...so scurred, aka it's ok to take money from your in-laws...so quick to pile on? I see reading comprehension fails you.

my response was to daven saying that he wished for rich parents so he could have a parachute and me trying to give an example as to why it's not all that.  That's it. I wasn't saying that's all family is for nor was daven saying that his parents failed him by causing him much stress for being poor.

Do you get it?

Let me elaborate a little.  Only reason I would want rich parents is for me to take a more aggressive risk stance on business ventures and investments so if it blows up in my face, I would not have to tell the wife and kids that we lost our a$$ and need to live in a box (sans stucco).

you are horribly cynical...family is an expensive insurance policy just to take business risks?

Family is there to support each other in case risks or unforseen issues require the family to band together.  As it turns out I ended up being successful enough that I became my Mothers 'insurance policy' which she has had to cash in on once already.  That is what family is for.  To pick each other up when needed and to celebrate successes together when they occur.

Come on guys, it's the holiday season.  No need for all the back and forth.  We should all be thankful for the most important things...being healthy, having our friends and family, and being a lot more fortunate than many others out there.

I've always thought it was weird when people say how much they make...  even when nobody asked.  It's also awkward when people ask how much I make, I just answer "never enough"  and change the subject. 

In my past experience, those who readily volunteer such information (if doing well) have deep seeded insecurities regarding themselves.   

akim997 said:
I've always thought it was weird when people say how much they make...  even when nobody asked.  It's also awkward when people ask how much I make, I just answer "never enough"  and change the subject. 

In my past experience, those who readily volunteer such information (if doing well) have deep seeded insecurities regarding themselves.   
I just answer those who ask me by saying....more than some but less than some others. 

so_scared said:
MovingOnUp said:
so_scared said:
MovingOnUp said:

MovingOnUp said:

What part did I make up?

MovingOnUp said:

MovingOnUp said:

1) A korean girl.
2) I have family money
3) Live in IAC.

Thanks for playing.

Look man, if you want to show your appreciation to your mom by buying something for her that she will appreciate that you wouldn't even buy for yourself, then good for you [and your understanding wife.]

But don't make assumptions about other people you don't know jack about...

Don't go telling Davenlei that you know for a fact that he would have acted given xx....you don't. Who the heck are you that you know for a fact he would have done xx?

Don't pretend like you know jack about me....you don't.

Show some respect, then I will do the same.

Hard to respect someone who refers to themselves as a loser. What's worse are those who start it, but can't finish it. Really, you're going to act like you didn't do the same? puh-lease.

As for daven, seriously? He's wishfully thinking his shortcomings are a result of not having wealthy parents. As if no poor person w/ a family made themselves into a multi-millionaire. As if any rich kid who is independently successful says, "let me take more risks, who cares, I got mommy and daddy". Be real. Daven really doesn't take chances because he has kids now, not because his parents aren't rich...ridiculous.

akim997 said:

You mean sort of like when you tell us the price range of homes you're looking at? Or the industry you work in? Or that you take care of your family and brother financially? As if you're not inferring to what you're making? Interesting.

Back