Amazon to build second Headquarters

Eyephone. Just like south beach Miami and south side chicago, there is a lot of regentrification taking place southside of Atlanta, especially near College Park area where the new Porsche headquarters is located. There are a lot of upside potential investing near the airport.

eyephone said:
Panda - great statistics. However, the Atlanta airport was shut down due to the power outage this past December. Also, the airport has a homeless problem according to the article below.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/atlanta-airport-power-outage-2017-12
http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/security-alert-renews-concerns-over-airport-homeless-population

eyephone said:
Maybe LA?
-Port of LA/LB
-Film: growing the film segment
-Airport: flights are available to all over the world, got to take care of an issue no problem, vendors can fly in with ease
-Produce: a lot of produce from the globe come to LA (grocery segment)
-Entertainment: things to do too many to list, take out clients, company outing
-Food: maybe the food choice the best in the US
-Weather: maybe the best climate in the US
-Infrastructure: already in place (at a small town, I don?t know)

bottom line: Happy workers = more productivity.

(Tax break is nothing when you are making money hands over fist.)

Agree, small tax breaks means nothing to these companies. on the other hand , if I were amazon, knowing what a terrible fiscal situation Chicago is in , I would never ever move there . as down the road that city would fleece amazon to no end - death via a thousand cuts

LA could have a had a strong esp since amazon studios / imdb is based here and they have a lot of say in the company now, according to a friend of mine who works there.  plus they are behind the most recent amazon success, "man in the high castle" . 

Problem with LA is where would amazon locate itself -- LA means downtown area for the most part and seeing what  the NFL stadium process went through, I just dont see that scale of redevelopment in a city rife with activists and everyone with their hand out for more $$ and demands.

LA is playing it smart in my opinion. They are using multiple cities to try and get HQ2. I think it?s a long shot. What surprised me is that LA included Santa Clarita, Long Beach, and Culver City (may be more cities). Santa Clarita is moving forward with its Newhall Ranch development.  Cheapish housing, lots of available land, talent from SoCal and NoCal.  I wouldn?t rule out LA just yet.

fortune11 said:
eyephone said:
Maybe LA?
-Port of LA/LB
-Film: growing the film segment
-Airport: flights are available to all over the world, got to take care of an issue no problem, vendors can fly in with ease
-Produce: a lot of produce from the globe come to LA (grocery segment)
-Entertainment: things to do too many to list, take out clients, company outing
-Food: maybe the food choice the best in the US
-Weather: maybe the best climate in the US
-Infrastructure: already in place (at a small town, I don?t know)

bottom line: Happy workers = more productivity.

(Tax break is nothing when you are making money hands over fist.)

Agree, small tax breaks means nothing to these companies. on the other hand , if I were amazon, knowing what a terrible fiscal situation Chicago is in , I would never ever move there . as down the road that city would fleece amazon to no end - death via a thousand cuts

LA could have a had a strong esp since amazon studios / imdb is based here and they have a lot of say in the company now, according to a friend of mine who works there.  plus they are behind the most recent amazon success, "man in the high castle" . 

Problem with LA is where would amazon locate itself -- LA means downtown area for the most part and seeing what  the NFL stadium process went through, I just dont see that scale of redevelopment in a city rife with activists and everyone with their hand out for more $$ and demands.

Yeah.  Tax breaks are low hanging fruit for politicians to show that they are trying.  But in reality, companies like Amazon don't care about those tax breaks.  Paul ONeill told this to Congress back in 2001.  Toronto offered no tax breaks and still made it into the top 20.

I don't think LA works because of the geography.  I know a lot of people like Atlanta but I think it would make more sense for Amazon to go NC or Northern Virginia if they wanted to go to the East Coast.

Washington, DC, and Austin are shaping up as strong contenders for Amazon's new headquarters

As the high-profile bidding war for Amazon's $5 billion investment in a second headquarters enters the final stages, one region seems to have an edge over the more than 200 cities and counties that initially expressed interest.
Based the criteria Amazon identified when it kicked off the bidding last year, the Washington, D.C., area appears to be well-positioned. But it will have to knock off a few other strong contenders, including Austin, Texas.
CNBC looked at some of the key criteria the online retailer laid out in its pitch to cities and states.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/18/washington-dc-is-shaping-up-as-strong-contender-for-amazons-new-hq.html

Garcetti is a Moron.  Sunshine is only worth so much.
https://youtu.be/5Ov5irp62lY

Panda said:
I sense that the Atlanta's housing market momentum is starting to build just like the LA/OC market between 1994 - 1999.

yoda_0.jpg

thats funny ...

All the bluechip property markets -- are cutoff on one side by a body of water - be it ocean or a lake or something else .  this simple geographical fact constrains supply , even if we discount that ocean views or lake views are overrated .

Places like Dallas and Atlanta find it hard to achieve that level of lift off because you can build and extend in all directions as opposed to being limited to a 90 degree to 180 degree angle. 

this also incidentally leads to worse traffic in those cities for the amount of cars they have - since everything is traveling towards the central core as opposed to the coastal areas where you can have dense pockets of activity along the coastline -- like Newport Beach area here , Long Beach area further up north, then Manhattan beach, then Santa Monica and so on so traffic can flow more in parallel. 

I just really can't fathom Amazon picking LA for all the reasons already specified in this thread.  It'd be a real shocker if that's actually the case.

Only angle I can see is the IMDB entity in Santa Monica  and how heavy they are into content nowadays . But that?s a thin angle .

Otherwise  a puzzling choice given everything else involved with Los Angeles .

Maybe they are trying to piggyback some of their own development with the coming Olympics ?

Who knows - this could all be a false alarm for all we know

Puzzling indeed.

Pro's: Port of LA, talent pool, Amazon Studios/Productions etc, commuter access (HQ2 would likely have it's own rail stop), City concessions. Schools - UCLA/USC/CalTech

Con's: Neighborhood resistance. Even with all of the housing giveaways, I can't see the locals being pacified. Area quality of life. Look at the $$$ LA has poured into DTLA and it remains a shait hole. Primary, Secondary, High Schools. (no need to discuss.....) Eventual taxation - Someone's got to milk this cash cow at some point. Limited future expansion if needed.

Me thinks the reporter may have gotten the follow up proposal once the list was narrowed down. Either that, or it's true. If true, I'd start looking to buy rental properties in East and Central LA STAT.

My .02c

Some Jeff Bezos quotes from 2014 re an urban campus and the type of people he wants to attract...LA seems less puzzling in that context. I give Atlanta about 100:1 odds on winning this.https://www.geekwire.com/2014/amazons-bezos-suburban-hq-wrong-decision/

?We could have built a suburban campus,? Bezos said, noting that a location outside of the city might have saved the company money. ?I think it would have been the wrong decision.?

He said the types of people Amazon employs and wants to attract in the future ?appreciate the energy and and dynamism of an urban environment,? which means the company is more likely to get the talent it wants with an urban campus.

It?s also better for the city of Seattle and the planet, he said. ?I think it?s pretty much indisputable that urban campuses relative to suburban campuses are better because there?s much less commuting and much less fuel burned,? with many people choosing to live near work.

Maybe this is an intentional fake news leak to buy them some time to quietly scoop up some property in the actual chosen location.

Back