Amazon to build second Headquarters

Loco_local said:
Did they say it was going to be in the USA?  With this administration's cuckoo immigration policies wouldn't be surprised if they chose some place like Toronto.

Agreed. Why stop there? Barcelona is a fantastic place to live, lower COL than CA, less xenophobic than USA, good schools, etc.

Loco_local said:
Did they say it was going to be in the USA?  With this administration's cuckoo immigration policies wouldn't be surprised if they chose some place like Toronto.

Just say Mexico  ;)

AW said:
Liar Loan said:
irvine buyer said:
I think one important consideration is whether the talent that Amazon is looking to hire would locate to this city.  In this regard, Irvine has an advantage.

Really?  What advantage would that be?
Silicon Valley would have the easy transferable talent pool.

Otherwise Irvine does have smaller tech presence here and there plus one of the criteria they're looking for is strong local universities, if this is for getting new recruits and/or want higher education think tanks, it's a more diverse pool than NorCal (Stanford, Berkeley), compare to here (Caltech, 4 UC's within 2 hour drives, USC, and a whole bunch of cal states, including Pomona which has a decent CS).

Don't forget the Claremont Colleges, which are all pretty decent as well.

HMart said:
Loco_local said:

Agreed. Why stop there? Barcelona is a fantastic place to live, lower COL than CA, less xenophobic than USA, good schools, etc.

Amazon launches search for a second headquarters in North America

It's gonna be in some tax friendly, low regulation, red state.

Everyone is drooling over HQ2 candy. I say, stay above the fray and keep your $ handy. The day they announce the location, buy an investment property (or two) near that location as soon as you can.

Cornflakes said:
Everyone is drooling over HQ2 candy. I say, stay above the fray and keep your $ handy. The day they announce the location, buy an investment property (or two) near that location as soon as you can.
True dat.

Unless it's the Bay Area, hard to buy now as it is, doh!

iacrenter said:
OCtoSV said:
IF they had built the airport instead of Great Park, then maybe.....that was the dumbest NIMBY-driven decision I've ever seen.

Are you insane? Irvine RE is better off with the GP versus another airport.

Real estate prices are a function largely of local incomes. Having an international airport close (San Jose has 3 - SJC, OAK and SFO) would potentially have catalyzed more corporate job growth. LAX distance restricts OC economic growth.

Panda said:
I have a feeling that Atlanta is going to win this one. :)

moving-to-living-in-atlanta-784.jpg

Source:http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/11/technology/amazon-cities/index.html

It could. Cheap living + intl airport + respected GA Tech and Emory.

paydawg said:
AW said:
Liar Loan said:
irvine buyer said:
I think one important consideration is whether the talent that Amazon is looking to hire would locate to this city.  In this regard, Irvine has an advantage.

Really?  What advantage would that be?
Silicon Valley would have the easy transferable talent pool.

Otherwise Irvine does have smaller tech presence here and there plus one of the criteria they're looking for is strong local universities, if this is for getting new recruits and/or want higher education think tanks, it's a more diverse pool than NorCal (Stanford, Berkeley), compare to here (Caltech, 4 UC's within 2 hour drives, USC, and a whole bunch of cal states, including Pomona which has a decent CS).

Don't forget the Claremont Colleges, which are all pretty decent as well.
correct. While Pomona is a world class liberal arts school with very low admission rate, Harvey Mudd is #1 in avg starting salary of all schools in the US. Lots of smart kids working for Wall St quants.

OCtoSV said:
iacrenter said:
OCtoSV said:
IF they had built the airport instead of Great Park, then maybe.....that was the dumbest NIMBY-driven decision I've ever seen.

Are you insane? Irvine RE is better off with the GP versus another airport.

Real estate prices are a function largely of local incomes. Having an international airport close (San Jose has 3 - SJC, OAK and SFO) would potentially have catalyzed more corporate job growth. LAX distance restricts OC economic growth.

El Toro Airport would have severely depressed house values near/under the flight path, but I can definitely see how it would increase it in areas around it. Even better for areas that would have benefited from a John Wayne closure like Old Town Tustin and the Back Bay area.

And selfishly, since I fly over 50k miles a year, it would have been nice for business trips..

Why not make the snd hq to Canada?

1, Its hard to obtain talent due to green card policies.
2, Cheaper labor
3, Not far from Seattle

Vancouver isn't cheaper than Seattle, last time I checked. Beautiful city, yeah, but not economically competitive. Ask a Vancouverite about FCB condos..

HMart said:
Vancouver isn't cheaper than Seattle, last time I checked. Beautiful city, yeah, but not economically competitive. Ask a Vancouverite about FCB condos..

Which is why I suggested a paired campus of Detroit-London, Ontario or Buffal-Erie, Ontario

City of Amazon proposed to attract company?s HQ2 to Georgia

The latest local pitch to attract Amazon? Create a city of Amazon for the company?s planned expansion site.

The Stonecrest City Council voted 4-2 on Monday to de-annex 345 acres of land if the e-commerce giant picks the area for what the company calls HQ2, a corporate hub where Seattle-based Amazon says it will one day house 50,000 jobs.

The city?s resolution asks the Georgia General Assembly to form the city of Amazon on that land, located off Lithonia Industrial Boulevard and Coffee Road in DeKalb County.

http://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt--politics/city-amazon-proposed-attract-company-hq2-georgia/WVuopYRd6WFQE3w7JjcdnO/

What Cali offering?....
https://youtu.be/C14dcjtL0Oc

Back