Alternative Medicine Pediatrician?

It was "fun" keeping track of all those shots for my three kids.  In my days, there were no shots for measles, chicken pox and mumps so you just got the real things and let it pass.  Just remember being separated from the rest of Kindergarten and waiting for my parents to pick me up so I could miss class.  Yay! :p

Irvinecommuter said:
Actually...she didn't complain.  She flinched a little but other than that she was fine.  The needles they have now are tiny and the dosage are low. 

That's one of many reasons why I find the whole vaccine "debate" so hilarious (and annoying).  The dosage people got 30-40 years ago were much higher and contained much more impurities.

/facepalm

County health officials are warning the public to get vaccinated against measles now, as they work to forestall a widespread outbreak of the virulent virus.

The number of cases in California has risen more than tenfold this year, to 36 as of Thursday, and has climbed even more in Orange County, despite the belief until recently that the disease had been virtually eradicated in North America. To date, 21 cases have been reported in Orange County this year, compared with four total over the preceding five years.

Public health officials are investigating every report of measles and, in some cases, sending children home from school and daycare for two weeks if they?ve been exposed in close contact and have not been immunized.

So far, only a few students have been sent home, but that number is expected to rise, especially in parts of Orange County where many parents have chosen not to have their children vaccinated.

Of the five children diagnosed with measles in Orange County this year, none had been given the measles vaccine. Parents in the county?s most affluent areas are the least likely to vaccinate their children, county records indicate.

?The families who refuse are highly educated and from a higher socioeconomic group,? Nunez said. ?They also tend to be white.?
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/county-607353-measles-orange.html

Just absurd...absolutely absurd.

Conversely (and unfortunately) the rates of autism has gone up while vaccination rates have gone down...what's the excuse now?

irvinehome0wner said:
Up to Date vaccinations at Kindergarten Entry (2012)

Capistrano Unified - 75.4% up to date (8.8% using personal belief exemption)
Irvine Unified - 89.4% up to date (3.2% using personal belief exemption)
Laguna Beach Unified - 77.9% (11.9%)
Newport Mesa Unified - 83.2% (5.9%)
Saddleback Valley Unified - 85.3% (4.7%)
Santa Ana Unified - 91% (0.7%)
Tustin Unified - 86.8% (2.0%

Laguna Beach Unified and capo unified are the lowest in Orange County.
County average is 89.3% compared to 90.3% statewide.

Santa Ana might not have high API scores, but their parents are a lot smarter than surrounding OC cities.

iacrenter said:
irvinehome0wner said:
Up to Date vaccinations at Kindergarten Entry (2012)

Capistrano Unified - 75.4% up to date (8.8% using personal belief exemption)
Irvine Unified - 89.4% up to date (3.2% using personal belief exemption)
Laguna Beach Unified - 77.9% (11.9%)
Newport Mesa Unified - 83.2% (5.9%)
Saddleback Valley Unified - 85.3% (4.7%)
Santa Ana Unified - 91% (0.7%)
Tustin Unified - 86.8% (2.0%

Laguna Beach Unified and capo unified are the lowest in Orange County.
County average is 89.3% compared to 90.3% statewide.

Santa Ana might not have high API scores, but their parents are a lot smarter than surrounding OC cities.

looks like being white plus having money = stupid  :)

Today is day 22. 

Why you might ask?  Three weeks ago, our 3 year old son quickly went down hill with a sinus infection that had been hanging on for two weeks.  Being a late Friday afternoon we went to urgent care, the visit went great, was quick, diagnosis and prescription was as we suspected.

3 hours after getting home, our phone rings.  It's the Urgent Care.

Congratulations! you've been exposed to measles.  Okay, they didn't say congratulations. :)  An undiagnosed measles case was in the urgent care while we were there.  What followed was a long list of directions and what to watch for.  And directions to call the health department if any symptoms occur to get directions where to go etc and not go to your regular doctor. And of course, onset is typically 7-12 but could occur anywhere in the 21 day window.  Then the frustration kicks in,  it's Friday night.  Health Department, they're closed until Monday.  It's already after hours for our pediatricians office, so on call 'emergency' service after hours, which the on call Doctor called back promptly to answer questions, props to Irvine Pediatrics!  The notification from urgent care was done by a nurse, so no real info there other than the script to read and she was onviously trying to get through a long list of people to call.

Our son has had the first MMR vaccination.  The 2nd is given around 4-5.  Having one dose he has pretty good, but not '100%' coverage.  And being 3, he's the primary age group for complications.

So, today is 22.  We're officially out of measles watch.  And not having a nagging little background worry about are we going to be the 1 in 20 were coverage didn't work.

Thanks for sharing NSR and hope your son get well soon.

Since your son were exposed, does that mean he's immune to measles for rest of his life?

No it does not mean he is immune!  Measles is so highly contagious that in an abundance of caution, anyone, anywhere near the affected person, gets told to watch for it.  This child just wasn't close enough most likely.

irvinehomeowner said:
I'm Z-pocalypsing this thread because of the Diseasles.

Maybe the anti-vaccinating crowd can chime in here.

"Diseasles"! Maybe I shouldn't be laughing but that is funny!!

For everyone, here is a video of Penn and Teller getting into the vax topic.

WARNING: THERE IS A LOT OF FOUL LANGUAGE. NSFW! NOT SAFE AROUND KIDS. Do not reply to my post later saying you were surprised as I have made it abundantly clear that it's dirty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfdZTZQvuCo

I'm not trying to convince those who don't believe in vaccination to get vaccinated, but now that there is actually a measles outbreak in our community, I am pleading with those who have unvaccinated children to please, please, please, homeschool temporarily until this outbreak is under control.  All school districts are required by law to help you do this. 

This will be extremely hard to pass.  People don't like being told what to do, especially if it involves sticking you kid with inorganic, super articifical, non free range, you bet your ass it's GMO vaccines.  They need to stress that the most vulnerable people in our population will be newborns/infants.  They do not get vaccinated til 12 months.  Do not kill babies.

Back