Admissions into UC broken down by schools

CalStates are actually a better deal... especially if you are looking at practically applied majors.

My buddy's kid's CS tuition is cheaper than their pre-college private school.
And SJSU Computer Science grads are highly sought after up here. It's really amazing what demand from Silicon Valley employers has done to transform that school into the class of the Cal States and likley better than some lower tier UCs.

Back in the day, CalPolySLO was the tech school of CSUs (even over some UCs) so I don't doubt that NorCal CSUs are really good in the tech industry.

Back in the day, CalPolySLO was the tech school of CSUs (even over some UCs) so I don't doubt that NorCal CSUs are really good in the tech industry.
CPSLO still VERY difficult to get into and highly desired by local parents but not me after a friend at my golf club who is a recently retired 30 yr sw engineer told me what a dogsh*t opinion he had of the teaching quality in the CS dept there while his daughter got her CS degree. A super mellow guy who had a definite opinion about this topic when I broached it which carried some weight. I had great teachers and TAs at USC and our kid has largely had the same experience at his Big 10 school.

Despite earning 3.97 unweighted and 4.42 weighted GPA, scoring 1590 out of 1600 on the SAT's and founding his own e-signing startup RabbitSign in sophomore year, he was rejected by 16 out of the 18 colleges he applied to.
He was denied by: MIT, Carnegie Mellon, Stanford, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, UCSB, UC Davis, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, Cornell University, University of Illinois, University of Michigan, Georgia Tech, Caltech, University of Washington and University of Wisconsin.

CalStates are actually a better deal... especially if you are looking at practically applied majors.

My buddy's kid's CS tuition is cheaper than their pre-college private school.

I went to CSU and our alumni network is not as good as schools like USC.

But CSU does offer a wide range of programs, including Pre-Med so you don't have to do Pre-Med at some school in the... Caribbean islands.

The liberal DEi agenda is both anti-Semitic and anti-Asian

My family is fairly up to date on current admission standard, while it's getting very competitive, I haven't heard of horror stories like that.

I wonder if it's something in his resume raised a big red flag or simply the essays wasn't written well enough.

Or perhaps, his out of school activities are just blank.

Last edited:
I wonder if it's something in his resume raised a big red flag or simply the essays wasn't written well enough.
Wouldn't a truly smart kid just have AI write the essays for him/her? That is the kind of kid I would want to admit to my program, somebody that can think outside the established rules of the game and come up with an innovative solution to a problem.

this generation of kids lacks any kind of critical thinking. They’ve been told what to do their whole life, and it’s hard for them to make those kinds of decisions and take risks on their own…it seems.😢🦄🌈

Wouldn't a truly smart kid just have AI write the essays for him/her? That is the kind of kid I would want to admit to my program, somebody that can think outside the established rules of the game and come up with an innovative solution to a problem.
Essay writing was never an issue, parents could easily have someone proof read and change the essay at the right tone at a minimal fee.
Some private schools ghost write those essay for you.

but it's not just the essay, but all other activities.
When the scores meets all criteria, it's what other things you have done in high school that makes you competitive against others.

Back