Admissions into UC broken down by schools

zubs

University of California breaks down how many kids are accepted into each school every year.

Here are the results for 2022 for UCLA

Irvine High ~ 190 applications 18 admitted ~ 9.47% admissions rate
University High ~ 293 applications, 23 admitted ~ 7.8% admissions rate
Portola High ~ 293 applications, 30 admitted ~ 10.2% admissions rate
Northwood High ~ 299 applications, 35 admitted ~ 11.7% admissions rate
Woodbridge High ~ 249 applications, 19 admitted ~ 7.6% admissions rate

Beckman High ~ 343 applications, 25 admitted ~ 7.3% admissions rate

OCSA ~ 211 applications, 36 admitted ~ 17.06% admissions rate
Anaheim High ~ 75 applications, 6 admitted ~ 8.00% admissions rate
Santa Ana High ~ 93 applications, 6 admitted ~ 6.45% admissions rate

OCSA is the winner...but perhaps they are all piano majors...LOL

When you check back into the 90's. UCLA was accepting about 30~50% of applicants...so long ago..

Last edited:
I don't care about bkshopr. I was asking him to elaborate on the Santa Ana High being the winner in sheer number-wise.

Being the valedictorian of Santa Ana Valley or Century High will provide a much better platform for gaining admission to the top tier schools than a 3.9 from Uni

Having just gone through this with a Salutatorian, 4.5 GPA, ASB and school Ambassador, AP everything, 14 year Company level ballet dancer, UCLA alumni legacy, Varsity letterman, Prom Court super child…. I can tell you the whole process is a crock😡🤦🏽‍♂️🦄🌈

This can possibly help parents who want to put their child in a school with higher than normal acceptance rates for the UC's.
Servite 61 app, 9 admits = 14.8%

It's like
moneyball-movie.jpg

You don't know what major they are picking, so it's not real good data, but we gotta start somewhere.

When you check back into the 90's. UCLA was accepting about 30~50% of applicants...so long ago..
But did UCLA have the reputation of being a West Coast Ivy back then? I don't remember it being viewed that way, but maybe I wasn't paying attention. It seems like most of the UC's were viewed more equally, with maybe only Berkeley having an outsized reputation.

Does UCLA publish the percentage of community college applicants that successfully transfer?

Also, it will be interesting to see what effect the baby bust starts to have on these admissions rates. In 2008, fertility in the US began tanking and has only gotten worse over time. Within three years, these baby bust kids will begin hitting college age and the overall demand for college in the US is going to drop way off. The only way to fill seats will be to increase international students, but that may not be enough to bridge the gap in the long run.

And because everyone want to know if paying $50,000 tuition/year @ sage will get you into UCLA easier:
Sage HS ~ 99 apps, 11 accepted ~ 11.11%
Might as well go to Northwood High

And because everyone want to know if paying $50,000 tuition/year @ sage will get you into UCLA easier:
Sage HS ~ 99 apps, 11 accepted ~ 11.11%
Might as well go to Northwood High

I guess it depends on your target school. A recent NY Times article suggests that you are twice as likely to be admitted to an elite university from a private school vs public school. I would be curious to see what Sage's admission rates are for private top tier universities vs IUSD.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/07/24/upshot/ivy-league-elite-college-admissions.html

"The biggest contributor was that admissions committees gave higher scores to students from private, nonreligious high schools. They were twice as likely to be admitted as similar students — those with the same SAT scores, race, gender and parental income — from public schools in high-income neighborhoods. A major factor was recommendations from guidance counselors and teachers at private high schools."

Being the valedictorian of Santa Ana Valley or Century High will provide a much better platform for gaining admission to the top tier schools than a 3.9 from Uni
With bonus points for advanced classes, 3.9 is solid flunky level at Uni. Demand the money back from the army of tutors that they hire so their kids could be in the advanced classes at Uni High.

Haha.

UCs are the new Ivys. :)

Back in the 90's and 00's UCs were much easier to get in. I don't know why everyone is applying for them now. CA must be very attractive.
Tuition is $13,258 for in state and $43,252 for everyone else.

I live in CA. I would rather people not living in CA applying for UC to fuck off.

I propose changing the $43,252 to $62,000 like USC.

I don't know why everyone is applying for them now.
(Whether they say it or not), I think they are admitting people to fill quotas. And so a lot of CA residents who would have gotten in no problem in the past (good GPAs, good scores, but perhaps Asian or White and perhaps male) are now getting rejected. And a lot of others are getting admitted - I just hope they are actually able to hang with the high achieving students from Arcadia/Irvine/Cupertino. If not, what will happen to them?

UC Tuition is an incredible deal for CA residents (even though UC tuition has been inflated like crazy over the past couple decades) considering what other comparable universities in the country charge.

CalStates are actually a better deal... especially if you are looking at practically applied majors.

My buddy's kid's CS tuition is cheaper than their pre-college private school.

(Whether they say it or not), I think they are admitting people to fill quotas. And so a lot of CA residents who would have gotten in no problem in the past (good GPAs, good scores, but perhaps Asian or White and perhaps male) are now getting rejected. And a lot of others are getting admitted - I just hope they are actually able to hang with the high achieving students from Arcadia/Irvine/Cupertino. If not, what will happen to them?

UC Tuition is an incredible deal for CA residents (even though UC tuition has been inflated like crazy over the past couple decades) considering what other comparable universities in the country charge.
The son of the friend from Newport who went to Sage got into one of the more desired UCs though he had to languish on the wait list through the summer (white and male with a stellar resume). One of his roommates was a first gen student from a favored minority group and had to bail after freshman year as he just couldn't hack it. Anecodotal but it would be informative to see what the dropout/transfer rates are for the top UCs.

Back