99% Survival rate

bones said:
qwerty said:
@bones - I wasn?t being defensive, didn?t mean to come across that way. Coming up with analogies isn?t a strength of mine, I don?t have many strengths :)

If a dodger got pulled out of a World Series game due to a positive result, i could definitely walk out of dinner mid bite if someone got  notified of a positive test.

Calves!  But yea, like IHO said, don?t forget to go back for pie :)

I?m not trying to change anyone?s mind because we?re way past that but I do like to try to understand people?s motivations. I get trying to live your life but your logic still doesn?t quite make sense to me.  Happy Thanksgiving! Hope no one at your gathering is knowingly or unknowingly  covid positive.

This doesn't make sense to me either.

Covid can be asymptomatic and contagious... so if one of those 10-12 are infected but looks and feels fine you won't know you've been exposed for several hours until they call you a few days later and tell you. House was burning and you didn't even realize it.

This has happened to at least one person I know... they've gone to small family dinners and everyone seems fine but then one of them got Covid, infected their spouse and they have no idea where it came from.

irvinehomeowner said:
If you think protecting public health is wrong... that's your "belief".

I think everyone agrees protecting public health is the right thing. It's just figuring out how much is the right amount of sacrificing on this matter.

BTW, have you ever thought about the possibility that the datas you're looking could be wrong? Not saying they are, but could happen and I think it did happen. Seems like you absolutely firmly believe what they put out. 

irvinehomeowner said:
bones said:
qwerty said:
@bones - I wasn?t being defensive, didn?t mean to come across that way. Coming up with analogies isn?t a strength of mine, I don?t have many strengths :)

If a dodger got pulled out of a World Series game due to a positive result, i could definitely walk out of dinner mid bite if someone got  notified of a positive test.

I?m not trying to change anyone?s mind because we?re way past that but I do like to try to understand people?s motivations. I get trying to live your life but your logic still doesn?t quite make sense to me.  Happy Thanksgiving! Hope no one at your gathering is knowingly or unknowingly  covid positive.

Covid can be asymptomatic and contagious... so if one of those 10-12 are infected but looks and feels fine you won't know you've been exposed for several hours until they call you a few days later and tell you. House was burning and you didn't even realize it.

This has happened to at least one person I know... they've gone to small family dinners and everyone seems fine but then one of them got Covid, infected their spouse and they have no idea where it came from.

Exactly. How do you know where they got it from? How do you know if it was from the family dinner? Obviously, if you're not feeling well, you should rest at home. Covid or not, that was the norm in our society. But if you're making people who are feeling great stay home, I think that's a little bit of a problem.

Mety said:
irvinehomeowner said:
bones said:
qwerty said:

Exactly. How do you know where they got it from? How do you know if it was from the family dinner?

That's the point... they don't... which is why you shouldn't put yourself in situations where you are at risk.

Obviously, if you're not feeling well, you should rest at home. Covid or not, that was the norm in our society. But if you're making people who are feeling great stay home, I think that's a little bit of a problem.

Are you not reading? Covid can be asymptomatic. So infected people feel fine and don't know they have it, and spread it to others who think they are healthy too. That's the problem with Covid vs other obviously symptomatic illnesses like the flu.

Mety said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I think everyone agrees protecting public health is the right thing. It's just figuring out how much is the right amount of sacrificing on this matter.

BTW, have you ever thought about the possibility that the datas you're looking could be wrong? Not saying they are, but could happen and I think it did happen. Seems like you absolutely firmly believe what they put out. 

How does a Christian who "believes" in something he doesn't see, not "believe" in so many things that he does see?

So are you saying that the over 1.4m deaths around the world is just a media ploy? Sorry Mety... most of the time... up is up and down is down.

I don't think anyone (or least I'm not) trying to make someone feel bad for not staying home.  I'm just trying to understand.  So qwerty has stated that he wears masks, believes they are somewhat effective (sorry I skim the forum so I'm not sure where you have landed on this issue but I think this is the case) and DOES NOT want to get COVID, then going to an indoor gathering with 15-20 people when cases are at an all time high isn't logical to me.  If he says, he doesn't care if he gets it, then ok, I get why he's going.  If he says, everyone at his dinner party will be laying super low for 10 days prior to said gathering, ok, cool, pretty low risk.  If he says, everyone at his dinner party will be tested NBA style every day prior to eating turkey together, logical decision.  Or even if he said, we know the risk, but we're going to wear masks and try to be 6 feet apart and keep the meal short/sweet/outdoors. But he's saying none of those things and his actions contradict what he's saying about COVID.

Sorry qwerty - you know I'm your number 1 fan. Just using you as an example because you volunteered your turkey day plans :)

Mety said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Are we going back to this argument again?  This is like dealing with Trump supporters on "election fraud"...."how do you know there wasn't fraud..."

Just stick with "I am okay with a 1.7% mortality rate and healthcare system on the brink of collapse" stance...at least it's understandable.

I have come to the conclusion that people are trying to pretend that COVID is not really COVID...it's like the flu or the common cold. 

"ALL WE NEED TO DO IS QUARANTINE ALL THE OLD PEOPLE AND PEOPLE WHO ARE SICK!"

Anyone who has small children knows that even the flu is spread without symptoms...

@bones - it?s just a balance of trying to be normal while minimizing the risk of catching covid. I definitely don?t want to get it but if I do then so be it. I would say my risk tolerance is higher than than average when it comes to covid. My kids have been in school since the summer, we were going to the pool, we have done play dates with other kids in the neighborhood whose parents also generally share our same risk tolerances.  My kids have gone to public parks, are in sports, etc. 

Wearing a mask takes little effort, not the most comfortable but I?m generally in a store for 5-30 minutes so not too bad. I couldn?t get in to the store without a mask so I don?t have a choice. If I?m outside I never wear a mask but i respect others and always keep my distance, this minimizes my chance of catching anything as well. To me whatever effort I put into not getting covid is pretty minor. However, because I don?t want to get covid doesn?t mean I?m just going to stay home.

I try to minimize risk within reason, not eliminate it at all cost. Is going to a a thanksgiving dinner higher risk than staying home, sure it is. Some of you may view that as illogical and it is but living life isn?t all about logic. If everything we did was based on logic life we be pretty boring. The people that will be there I guess would be considered lower risk (if we were ranking them).

And in general, if I do get covid I like my chances with a 98?99% survival rate. Trying to apply logic here :)

irvinehomeowner said:
Mety said:
Obviously, if you're not feeling well, you should rest at home. Covid or not, that was the norm in our society. But if you're making people who are feeling great stay home, I think that's a little bit of a problem.

Are you not reading? Covid can be asymptomatic. So infected people feel fine and don't know they have it, and spread it to others who think they are healthy too. That's the problem with Covid vs other obviously symptomatic illnesses like the flu.

Well, IC just said here "even the flu is spread without symptoms" so I don't know if that makes Covid special any more...

irvinehomeowner said:
Mety said:
irvinehomeowner said:

How does a Christian who "believes" in something he doesn't see, not "believe" in so many things that he does see?

So are you saying that the over 1.4m deaths around the world is just a media ploy? Sorry Mety... most of the time... up is up and down is down.

Hmm... not sure why you're overblowing this, but I was simply asking have you ever thought that might be possible. I guess you're saying, "No."

If you're a real Christian, you see so many things to support your belief. You can see God's creation all around you. You can see Christian brothers and sisters devoting themselves in loving one another selflessly. You can see Christians' joyful triumphant even in the midst of difficult times like this pandemic. Also you can see yourself and your life completely being guided by His will. If you don't *see* those, I don't know what evidences you're having your faith with.

No, I don't see as many evidences to firmly believe these "datas" you're talking about compare to my Christian belief.

Irvinecommuter said:
Mety said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Are we going back to this argument again?  This is like dealing with Trump supporters on "election fraud"...."how do you know there wasn't fraud..."

Just stick with "I am okay with a 1.7% mortality rate and healthcare system on the brink of collapse" stance...at least it's understandable.

You keep being an advocate for IHO. Good to see you guys help each other. :D

I will say a little different than how you're saying - I'm not ok with 98.3% sacrificing rate.

Irvinecommuter said:
I have come to the conclusion that people are trying to pretend that COVID is not really COVID...it's like the flu or the common cold. 

"ALL WE NEED TO DO IS QUARANTINE ALL THE OLD PEOPLE AND PEOPLE WHO ARE SICK!"

Anyone who has small children knows that even the flu is spread without symptoms...

Thanks for saying that statement. I've made it bold for everyone can see.

I don't know if you were referring to me on this post, but let me say how I think of this current situation so far. I'm sure I might have to say this over and over, but here we go.

I believe Covid is very real.
I also believe the numbers are skewed.

irvinehomeowner said:
@Mety: What evidence do you have to come to the conclusion that the numbers are skewed. And which numbers are you referring to?

Covid infection and death rates we have in public are very unreliable. I'm sure none of you believe the public rates they put out in China or N. Korea. Sure, the US might have better accurate numbers overall in anything, but strange things pop up time to time. Couple things to point.

1. The test kits are known to be very unreliable since they keep giving different results.

2. CDC once said only 6% of Covid death numbers they have in public were "solely" from Covid based on the death certificates.

3. Hospitals run Covid test when you're admitted even if you're not a Covid patient. With unreliable test results and marking patient as Covid patient/death by default in case of positive, which BTW might come out negative next day, the numbers would not be 100% accurate overall.

4. Pre-existing condition patients are being marked as a Covid patient even if the other condition was more severe.

5. Many public figures who had Covid survive fine no matter what they support politically. Many say they had no or a little symptoms, some say they felt real bad couple days, but many other diseases also give real bad experiences.

6. Not sure if it's just me, but you guys don't feel like you're being controlled somehow? Sure, this is more of a personal feeling rather than evidence, but I somehow feel like this whole world is being tested in some sort of a way. Call me crazy 8)

7. Even if all of the above weren't the issue, we still have the public number about 2% death rate. That IMHO is not something to sacrifice 98% of the population. People say other countries are doing much better than this country. So are they sacrificing like 99% of the population then? What's going on in this world?

bones said:
I don't think anyone (or least I'm not) trying to make someone feel bad for not staying home.  I'm just trying to understand.  So qwerty has stated that he wears masks, believes they are somewhat effective (sorry I skim the forum so I'm not sure where you have landed on this issue but I think this is the case) and DOES NOT want to get COVID, then going to an indoor gathering with 15-20 people when cases are at an all time high isn't logical to me.  If he says, he doesn't care if he gets it, then ok, I get why he's going.  If he says, everyone at his dinner party will be laying super low for 10 days prior to said gathering, ok, cool, pretty low risk.  If he says, everyone at his dinner party will be tested NBA style every day prior to eating turkey together, logical decision.  Or even if he said, we know the risk, but we're going to wear masks and try to be 6 feet apart and keep the meal short/sweet/outdoors. But he's saying none of those things and his actions contradict what he's saying about COVID.

Sorry qwerty - you know I'm your number 1 fan. Just using you as an example because you volunteered your turkey day plans :)

But what is the real exposure risk?  Public health impacts of lots of people gathering is very different than individual family outcomes,

If they are OC centric and it basically three families, the risk really is minimal.  He has  1/3 rd exposure already in his own family.

Our 14 day case count is 8800 according to the State dashboard.  If you assume 2 additional undiagnosed for every diagnosed, we are at 26,400.  Of those, how many of the 8800 are sick and know it, how many of the 17,600 asymptomatic are no longer infectious very peak infectivity  How infectious is a day 14 non-symptomatic person? 

Hypothetically maybe 20,000 infective walking around. That?s out of 3.2 million. That?s 0.006, at 8 non family people that?s 5%.  That, IMO, seems like a very high approximation of upper bound on risk.  I suspect the risk closer to 1%, given the way families separate duties for exposing themselves to the grocery stores etc. 

The risk profile is also lower, IMO, if all of their approaches are similar and not restaurant dining in,  going to stores to browse shop versus get in, get out, maskers versus chin diaperer,  etc.

Then if you are exposed, if they otherwise healthy 40-somethings, 2/3rds of the sick will be asymptomatic without noticeable impacts.  Of the remaining 1/3rd, that are symptomatic, for 40-49 yo, their survivability is 99.6% (5770 deaths/ 1402000 cases)

So we are looking at 1-5% exposure risk, 33% noticeably infected, with a 99.6% survivability.  That cranks out to a 0.007% risk of death for him, spouse and the kids are way less..

From a public health standpoint it is very different, that gathering represents 7% chance that 12 people have close contact and subsequent infection.

False confidence maybe, but if they are doing basic precautions what is the risk of a relatively small twelve person gathering.

JIMHO, local family gatherings are different than people traveling 100s or thousands of miles. 12/15 is very different than 30+. 

Besides I drove by The district this afternoon, JIMHO, Q?s gathering isn?t going blow up our numbers, that District crowd will.

The death rate is only part of the story. It also doesn't talk about people who have recovered and have sustained irreversible damage to their lungs, along with other organs. There's all kinds of blood clotting and inflammation issues that come with the disease and we still don't fully understand the long term damage.

Stay safe out there people.

Back