$400k to get into Yale

WTTCHMN said:
Two Stanford Students File First Class Action Lawsuit Over College Entrance Scandal
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...es-stanford-students-class-action/3160526002/

LOL...

In the federal complaint, Erica Olsen and Kalea Woods say they were denied a fair opportunity to gain admission to their choice of a top college, and that their Stanford degrees were devalued by criminal racketeering charges leveled by federal prosecutors.

Olsen, from Henderson, Nevada, said she had ?stellar? standardized test scores and athletic talent, but was rejected by Yale after paying her roughly $85 application fee.

"Had she known that the system at Yale University was warped and rigged by fraud, she would not have spent the money to apply to the school," the lawsuit states. "She also did not receive what she paid for ? a fair admissions consideration process."

I guess a not so proud Stanford student...these two students will be great to work with!

The system is clearly broken. It?s not fair that the small guy is getting shafted. It clearly shows if you have money or know people in high places then you are in the advantage.

How about those many students that busted their tail in high school and clearly got shafted?

Don?t trust the process?

eyephone said:
The system is clearly broken. It?s not fair that the small guy is getting shafted. It clearly shows if you have money or know people in high places then you are in the advantage.

How about those many students that busted their tail in high school and clearly got shafted?

Don?t trust the process?

Colleges are businesses too...they have a "social mission" but in the end, they need to make money so they can get the best professors and programs so that more students will want to come and pay lots of money.  Unless and until you make colleges "Free" or cheap...the profit motive will generally win.  USC was the leader in getting foreign students to come for a while in large part because they paid a boatload in tuition.

I would also say that the concept that colleges are solely based upon academics seem flawed to me.  Not saying that one should be bribing college officials but Lori Loughlin's daughter clearly had business smarts...she would have been a good addition to any business class.

Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:

Don?t trust the process?

Colleges are businesses too...they have a "social mission" but in the end, they need to make money so they can get the best professors and programs so that more students will want to come and pay lots of money.  Unless and until you make colleges "Free" or cheap...the profit motive will generally win.  USC was the leader in getting foreign students to come for a while in large part because they paid a boatload in tuition.

I would also say that the concept that colleges are solely based upon academics seem flawed to me.  Not saying that one should be bribing college officials but Lori Loughlin's daughter clearly had business smarts...she would have been a good addition to any business class.

I?m guessing there is going to be new legislation due to this fiasco. They clearly can?t self govern themselves.

Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:

Don?t trust the process?

I dont have a problem with them acting like a business. However, if they are not going to be fair and unbias to incoming students. Then take away the non profit status. Let them pay corporate tax and not exempt from paying taxes. (income taxes, property taxes, etc..)

Disclaimer: I?m not saying all universities have a problem.

If it matters to you then it matters.

What's the meaning of life? 
Whatever you want it to be.

I used to work for a multi-national Fortune 500 company that had a program for graduating seniors.  It was advertised as global rotational leadership development and I think they used to specify qualified universities (Ivy League or comparable in US or abroad).  It was a fast track to being hired and promoted to senior positions.  I don't think they specify Ivy League school anymore but looking at the past candidates, it's kinda obvious (Harvard, Brown, Cornell, etc).

Other companies advertise similar programs as "early career program", "MBA Leadership program", etc.  Though they may accept applicants from various schools, there is a preference for upper tier colleges.  i.e. graduates from Grazladio (Pepperdine) in Malibu would be preferred over University of Phoenix, UCLA preferred over Cal State, etc.

If you walked into an interview like deer caught in headlights then no, a degree from Yale isn't going to help.  But given 2 similar candidates, the one from Princeton will be preferred over another from CSU Dominguez Hills.

Needless to stay if you're from a very wealthy family that can afford to donate $50 million to the school, then getting a degree from that school isn't going to impact your socioeconomic status much.

momopi said:
I used to work for a multi-national Fortune 500 company that had a program for graduating seniors.  It was advertised as global rotational leadership development and I think they used to specify qualified universities (Ivy League or comparable in US or abroad).  It was a fast track to being hired and promoted to senior positions.  I don't think they specify Ivy League school anymore but looking at the past candidates, it's kinda obvious (Harvard, Brown, Cornell, etc).

Other companies advertise similar programs as "early career program", "MBA Leadership program", etc.  Though they may accept applicants from various schools, there is a preference for upper tier colleges.  i.e. graduates from Grazladio (Pepperdine) in Malibu would be preferred over University of Phoenix, UCLA preferred over Cal State, etc.

If you walked into an interview like deer caught in headlights then no, a degree from Yale isn't going to help.  But given 2 similar candidates, the one from Princeton will be preferred over another from CSU Dominguez Hills.

Different topic/subject.
This topic should be: the ideal/optimal way to get a job

This thread I want to say is about cheating, pay someone to write an essay for you potentially, altering documents/photos, fake test scores, tax fraud (expense for college prep), connections to get into college

Just thought of something. The IRS should consider go after the tax preparer who signed off on the tax return. Which has the illegal deductions relating to the college prep.  (The public is outraged!)
That?s if someone prepared their tax return. 

Irvinecommuter said:

Does she or is it all the right handlers and connections to snowball  to 2M followers?

Is really kind of the same question for the kids applying and getting the coaching themselves.  How much is working their *ss off and how much is checking the formula their given and rewriting after the review?

The Washington Post is pushing a story today about the 12 years olds coordinating the student climate change protests.  I don't really buy it.

One of the guys that I track with went to Cal State Fullerton and he works in FinTech.  He makes close to 7 figures a year, not bad for a Titan alum.  haha

I am not all that surprised or shocked. I agree with eyephone that these school should be stripped of their non profit status.

The bribery is brazen but we do live in a reality structured by the wealthy. 

Public schools in America are essentially funded by local property taxes.

Our public policy is built on the principle that you should get an education according to how nice mommy and daddy's house is.

There was never any fair competition to begin with.

Kenkoko said:
I am not all that surprised or shocked. I agree with eyephone that these school should be stripped of their non profit status.

The bribery is brazen but we do live in a reality structured by the wealthy. 

Public schools in America are essentially funded by local property taxes.

Our public policy is built on the principle that you should get an education according to how nice mommy and daddy's house is.

There was never any fair competition to begin with.

Yup...I mean you think people send their kids to prep schools/boarding school because of their latin programs?  All those higher ended boarding schools have connections with Ivies.  A lot of them hire former Ivy admissions officers/employees.

eyephone said:
Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:

Don?t trust the process?

I dont have a problem with them acting like a business. However, if they are not going to be fair and unbias to incoming students. Then take away the non profit status. Let them pay corporate tax and not exempt from paying taxes. (income taxes, property taxes, etc..)

Non-profits have no obligation to be fair.

Using your argument, most religious organizations would have to lose their non-profit status also. 

Is this what you are proposing?

freedomcm said:
eyephone said:
Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:

Don?t trust the process?

Non-profits have no obligation to be fair.

Using your argument, most religious organizations would have to lose their non-profit status also. 

Is this what you are proposing?

To IC ?s original point re colleges ?-  I actually wouldn?t mind it if religious organizations lost their non profit status too

Many of them , especially in the evangelical south, have become full of political activism and hustlers peddling junk. We should have learned our lesson from all the televangelist scandals of the 80s and 90s

And don?t even get me started on the Catholic Church ...

eyephone said:
This thread I want to say is about cheating, pay someone to write an essay for you potentially, altering documents/photos, fake test scores, tax fraud (expense for college prep), connections to get into college

The question is why spend that much effort to get into that school.  The answer is in the potential benefits from attending and graduating from the school.

Better schools offer better potential benefits.  But ultimately it's still up to the student to make use of social networks/alumni networks, and the degree to get foot through the door to a lifetime of benefits.

?NBC article:Dr. Dre deletes post about daughter's acceptance to USC after $70M donation resurfaces

My daughter got accepted into USC all on her own. No jail time!!!" the rapper wrote in a now-deleted Instagram post.

Hip hop legend Dr. Dre deleted an Instagram post about his daughter getting into the University of Southern California without "jail time" after news of him donating $70 million to the school in 2013 resurfaced.

By Sunday evening, the rapper and founder of Beats by Dre had deleted his post after social media users found that he and producer Jimmy lovine made a $70 million donation in 2013 to the school for the creation of the Jimmy Iovine and Andre Young Academy for Arts, Technology and the Business of Innovation.

The prestigious private university is among a number of schools involved in the $25 million college admissions scandal which focused on getting students admitted to elite universities as recruited athletes, regardless of their athletic abilities, and helping potential students cheat on their college exams, according to the March 12 indictment.?
https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture...about-daughter-s-acceptance-usc-after-n986906

comments?

Back