$400k to get into Yale

This story keeps getting bigger and bigger.  I wonder if the college consultant business is getting affected.  Probably bad for the bottom line.

eyephone said:
So they pay to fudge their grades and bought their way in. Then try to write off the bribe on their tax returns.

?CNBC article: Taxes and penalties may await wealthy parents in college admissions scam

Certain parents allegedly agreed to disguise their bribes as charitable contributions to a non-profit, meaning they could deduct the payments on their taxes, according to law enforcement officials.

The civil tax fraud penalty for that is equal to 75 percent of your underpayment in taxes.?
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/13/wealthy-parents-in-college-admissions-scam-may-face-irs-wrath.html

I think we all want the IRS to take action against them. Let?s go!!

This is like 100 times worst than a diploma mill. They cracked the legit US university system process.

Get ready for Admission fees to go up? (Due to additional investigation fees, verification fees by universities)

or
Do we need the high school admin to sign off that the student was the actual President or member of the chess club etc.? (part of the admission package)
I don?t know if it?s possible to add a requirement to notorized the verification form.

Basically don?t trust the college applicant. They have to prove they were in a group or accomplished something..

momopi said:
Top 1% spending $400K trying to cheat the top 0.1% who spent $4+ million to donate new buildings to schools in exchange for kid's admission.

Wrong.  The top 0.1% got in also.  Its just that the top 1% only spent 400k instead of 4 Million.  The people that got cheated are the ones who got pushed out by these.

LOL, seriously, listen to the hypocrisy about not having two systems and then actually saying and rationalizing 'not like donating a building'.  So remember, you 'donate' a new building, or remodel, or training facility. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iij-LOjog4M&feature=youtu.be&t=71

In this article, looks like the Yale price tag was $1.2m.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/t...le-12-million-2019-03-12?mod=mw_theo_homepage

And the student got in to Yale is an Asian girl.

In the Yale case, Singer sent information about the applicant to Laura Janke, another defendant and a former assistant soccer coach at the University of Southern California, and told Janke to create a fake athletic profile, prosecutors said in the indictment.

?[C]ould you please create a soccer profile asap for this girl who will be a midfielder and attending Yale so she has to be very good. Needs to play Academy and no high school soccer, put down you or Ali [Khosroshanin, another defendant and one-time head coach of women?s soccer at USC] as coaches for Academy FC Newport etc ... awards and honors ? more info to come ? need a soccer pic probably Asian girl,? prosecutors said was written in an email.

Is college coaching that helps or actually writes the essay legal for college admission? Is that a form of cheating?

In my opinion, by having someone writing an essay for you is a form of cheating. Someone told me that someone who writes the admission essay is like a form of cliff notes. Lol

Maybe the college admission formula should just be: gpa, sat scores, and others (such as volunteer work, sports, awards)
No essay should be considered.

Think of it his way. A student can hire someone with a PHD in English or whatever  to write the admission essay. It?s not fair for the rest of the applicants.

In addition, not all college consultants are equal. So you might waste your money on hiring someone because the other kids applying might hire someone that is far better. (My phd example - might even be a PhD student or professor doing a side gig. Not affiliated with the college that the applicant is applying to of course. At least I hope. Another thought came to my mind. They might hire an ex person that use to work for the admissions office. Not just any person. Let?s say a director of admissions. So that person knows what to write in an essay. If that?s the case the other applicants are really behind the curve.)

I bring up valid points. But no one is going to talk about it.

meccos12 said:
momopi said:
Top 1% spending $400K trying to cheat the top 0.1% who spent $4+ million to donate new buildings to schools in exchange for kid's admission.
Wrong.  The top 0.1% got in also.  Its just that the top 1% only spent 400k instead of 4 Million.  The people that got cheated are the ones who got pushed out by these.

It's not a secret that colleges make their own biased decisions on admissions and collect payments in form of donations.  Wealthy donors provide colleges with millions of dollars in grants and shiny new buildings, and their kids are groomed for admissions with expensive tutoring and activities.  This is tolerated to a degree because in theory, the school and its students also reap benefits from the donations.  New library, new computers, funding for school programs, etc.  It also teaches the harsh reality of a socio-economic classed system.

Bill Gates went to Harvard so his daughter does not qualify for legacy admissions at Stanford.  But over the years he had made numerous donations to Stanford, including building named after him and at least one $50 million donation to Stanford R&D.  His daughter Jennifer, along with Steve Jobs daughter Eve are both in equestrian sports and attend Stanford.  Steve Jobs had also made $50 million donation to Stanford medical.

When someone bribes a coach or staff member with $400K for admissions, the $400K goes directly into the person's pocket and does not benefit the school and its students.

momopi said:
meccos12 said:
momopi said:

It's not a secret that colleges make their own biased decisions on admissions and collect payments in form of donations.  Wealthy donors provide colleges with millions of dollars in grants and shiny new buildings, and their kids are groomed for admissions with expensive tutoring and activities.  This is tolerated to a degree because in theory, the school and its students also reap benefits from the donations.  New library, new computers, funding for school programs, etc.

Bill Gates went to Harvard so his daughter does not qualify for legacy admissions at Stanford.  But over the years he had made numerous donations to Stanford, including buildings named after him and at least one $50 million donation for Stanford R&D.  His daughter Jennifer, along with Steve Jobs daughter Eve are both in equestrian sports and attend Stanford.  Steve Jobs had also made prior $50 million donation to Stanford medical.

When someone bribes a coach or staff member with $400K for admissions, the $400K goes directly into the person's pocket and does not benefit the school and its students.

I would also say that having kids of famous people got to your school is positive attribute. 

Even taking Laughlin's daughter, she made a whole YT career talking about her college experience...that is a positive thing for USC (even if she said that she didn't like the school part of it).

I'd hire bones to be my college consultant.
I'd tip her to write my admissions essay about farting while female.

zubs said:
I'd hire bones to be my college consultant.
I'd tip her to write my admissions essay about farting while being a woman.

A general statment. Welcome to the under world of college admissions!

eyephone said:
Is college coaching that helps or actually writes the essay legal for college admission? Is that a form of cheating?

In my opinion, by having someone writing an essay for you is a form of cheating. Someone told me that someone who writes the admission essay is like a form of cliff notes. Lol

Maybe the college admission formula should just be: gpa, sat scores, and others (such as volunteer work, sports, awards)

Think of it his way. A student can hire someone with a PHD in English or whatever  to write the admission essay. It?s not fair for the rest of the applicants.

In addition, not all college consultants are equal. So you might waste your money on hiring someone because the other kids applying might hire someone that is far better. (My phd example - might even be a PhD student or professor doing a side gig. Not affiliated with the college that the applicant is applying to of course. At least I hope. Another thought came to my mind. They might hire an ex person that use to work for the admissions office. Not just any person. Let?s say a director of admissions. So that person knows what to write in an essay. If that?s the case the other applicants are really behind the curve.)

Ain?t no joke. I?ve seen ads of people with big extensive background offering college admission services.

I do think the kids of these wealthy families do not have the stellar high school grades to get into the top colleges. A higher SAT or ACT could offset the negativity and remove potential doubts about the applicants? academic ability.

However, excellent SAT and ACT are not good enough to gain acceptance. The only way is to target only the top colleges where revenue is generated from college sports. These colleges offer preferential acceptance to outstanding athletes with less stellar HS grades. This admission process is subjective and one of the easiest to get away with.

However, it is too obvious and easy to prove fraud when the admitted students did not even engage in the sport and there is a money trail. Had the student been a weak athlete the case would still be hard to prove.

They target specific college sports that are costly, like sailing, rowing, water polo, fencing, lacrosse, equestrian/polo, etc.  I used to be in fencing.

The parents spend tens of thousands of dollars per year, in case of equestrian it can go up to hundreds of thousands of dollars.

eyephone said:
eyephone said:

Ain?t no joke. I?ve seen ads of people with big extensive background offering college admission services.

Really sad watching the news shows today and seeing all the support of the 'industry'.  One calling it outright criminality not see before.

Gotta clutch those pearls.  The Testing services and colleges where defrauded!  Never mind it seems completely silly that the testing  companies cant figure out their contract proctors are acting funny when a proctor from Tampa is flying the Los Angeles to administer an exam. And elsewhere multiple times over the years.

You raise good points.  Obviously having someone change your scores is beyond pale, but nobody in the game wants go own up to the Lance Armstrong doping levels going on. 

At what point does 'coaching' become writing it for them?  At what point does coaching for extracurriculars become essentially fabrication?

Back