3 New California Pacific Communities in Portola Springs Late 2021

bkimxmd said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
bkimxmd said:
Crap.  Looks like the settlement date is going to get pushed back for the first 6 homes at Sierra.

Really, what's the estimate closing date now?  April?

Don?t know yet.  Supposed to have sent an updated schedule but didn?t get the email yet.  Says it?s due to the rain and a delay in the window shipment.

Seems like the supply chain issue is really affecting builders. We were looking at plan 3 and noticed that they put a cardboard cutout in place of the oven.

And over at Bluffs, when I was talking to sales lady today, she said that IP needs to change appliances from Kitchen-Aid to Wolf for Bluffs (and I guess Highland as well), which made us extremely happy since we just ordered the Sub-Zero built-in fridge for the new home. The bad part of about the Sub-Zero fridge is that ETA is September. So we'll be using our old fridge for 3-4 months.

Damn.  8 months for a refrigerator??  Are those worth the money?  10k+ for a refrigerator is nuts. 

Hopefully the delay isn?t too long.  More concerned about interest rates. 

Yeah idk why they have a cardboard cut out.  The other model homes have all the appliances. 

Do you guys know what the requirements are for the backyard?  Time frame and how many trees/bushes are required?

bkimxmd said:
Damn.  8 months for a refrigerator??  Are those worth the money?  10k+ for a refrigerator is nuts. 

Yeah idk why they have a cardboard cut out.  The other model homes have all the appliances.

Seems to be an issue for built-in refrigerators only since you still can get normal fridges pretty much right away. I even checked Kitchen-Aid's website and they didn't even have them right now, and Jenn-Air only offered one model. So I would have to go with Sub-Zero, but that's my wife's first choice anyway.

Built-in refrigerators are only for aesthetics purpose. For practical use, it's probably not worth it since it's smaller than a regular fridge of the same width due to less depth to match the cabinets. But my wife wants her kitchen to look beautiful so, there's that.

We were supposed to go in for the stage 3 upgrades (countertops, bathroom enclosures, closet organizers) today, but I got a call just as I was about to leave that the design center has to close today due to COVID exposure.  :(

CalBears96 said:
bkimxmd said:

Seems to be an issue for built-in refrigerators only since you still can get normal fridges pretty much right away. I even checked Kitchen-Aid's website and they didn't even have them right now, and Jenn-Air only offered one model. So I would have to go with Sub-Zero, but that's my wife's first choice anyway.

Built-in refrigerators are only for aesthetics purpose. For practical use, it's probably not worth it since it's smaller than a regular fridge of the same width due to less depth to match the cabinets. But my wife wants her kitchen to look beautiful so, there's that.

We were supposed to go in for the stage 3 upgrades (countertops, bathroom enclosures, closet organizers) today, but I got a call just as I was about to leave that the design center has to close today due to COVID exposure.  :(

Happy Wife, Happy Life.

Trust me, you'll hear about it for a long time to come if you don't have it.

Ready2Downsize said:
CalBears96 said:
bkimxmd said:

Happy Wife, Happy Life.

Lol.  Thank god she?s not asking for a built in fridge, although she did mention how nice it was when we toured the IP model homes. 

Trying to get her to ok spending a good chunk on an indoor golf simulator for the garage.  So far she ain?t giving in to that idea. 

Ready2Downsize said:
Happy Wife, Happy Life.

Kitchen is her domain, so whatever she wants she gets. I mean, you spend so much money upgrading the countertops, back splash and cabinets, so it's really an eyesore having the fridge sticking out.

In fact, I leave all the upgrades to her for the entire house. I just write the check.  ;D

CalBears96 said:
Ready2Downsize said:
Happy Wife, Happy Life.

Kitchen is her domain, so whatever she wants she gets. I mean, you spend so much money upgrading the countertops, back splash and cabinets, so it's really an eyesore having the fridge sticking out.

In fact, I leave all the upgrades to her for the entire house. I just write the check.  ;D

Smart man. LOL!

Ready2Downsize said:
CalBears96 said:
Ready2Downsize said:
Happy Wife, Happy Life.

Smart man. LOL!

Lol.  I didn?t go to the design center on our last home in Maryland, and left it all to her.  I don?t think I would do that ever again.    :p    We did upgrade the floors for the whole house.  No carpet. 

Question, are wood looking tiles and laminate popular here in CA because of the dry climate?  Doesn?t seem like hard wood floors are used much here.  I don?t recall seeing any in any of the model homes we toured. 

bkimxmd said:
Lol.  I didn?t go to the design center on our last home in Maryland, and left it all to her.  I don?t think I would do that ever again.    :p    We did upgrade the floors for the whole house.  No carpet. 

Question, are wood looking tiles and laminate popular here in CA because of the dry climate?  Doesn?t seem like hard wood floors are used much here.  I don?t recall seeing any in any of the model homes we toured.

I think laminate is popular in CA. Our first home in San Jose, we used hard wood, but it scratched easily. So when we bought our current home, we went with polished porcelain and laminate and we're happy with both. We stayed with upgraded carpet on second floor, but we won't use carpet this time.

For Bluffs 2, we're going with polished porcelain for 1st floor and all bathrooms and laundry room and laminate for stairs and second floor.

We?ll see.  Gotta talk to him this week.  I did get it locked in at 3%.  Gotta a call from him and he said we were at 86 days so we should lock since the rates are starting to go up.  Now I?m outside the 90 day again.  Don?t know how it?s going to be affected yet.  Never locked in a rate that early before.

Last time I drove by, a lot of the roof was on.  Some of the 1st 6 already had their solar panels on. 

bkimxmd said:
We?ll see.  Gotta talk to him this week.  I did get it locked in at 3%.  Gotta a call from him and he said we were at 86 days so we should lock since the rates are starting to go up.  Now I?m outside the 90 day again.  Don?t know how it?s going to be affected yet.  Never locked in a rate that early before.

Last time I drove by, a lot of the roof was on.  Some of the 1st 6 already had their solar panels on.
If the roof is on, they can work inside even if it's not the best weather. Maybe they have a lot of sickouts due to covid slowing things down.

Ready2Downsize said:
bkimxmd said:

If the roof is on, they can work inside even if it's not the best weather. Maybe they have a lot of sickouts due to covid slowing things down.

True.  Contractors being sick and supplies on back order plus the heavy rain.  Gotta imagine there?s a boat load of factory workers calling out sick or having to quarantine due to COVID. 

The move in delay doesn?t bother me much just concerned about the rates going up.  It already changed twice since I went through the preapproval. 

I think this is worse than the auto industry.

Calbear, did you grow up in NorCal?

bkimxmd said:
Ready2Downsize said:
bkimxmd said:

True.  Contractors being sick and supplies on back order plus the heavy rain.  Gotta imagine there?s a boat load of factory workers calling out sick or having to quarantine due to COVID. 

The move in delay doesn?t bother me much just concerned about the rates going up.  It already changed twice since I went through the preapproval. 

But if the stock market starts really selling off before you move in, rates might go down.

Ready2Downsize said:
bkimxmd said:
Ready2Downsize said:
bkimxmd said:

But if the stock market starts really selling off before you move in, rates might go down.

Hopefully.  A quarter point is not so bad, but considering that we started talking about 2.65 and now being at 3%, don?t want to end up being a full point higher when it does come time to setttlement.

Should have jumped on the Fresco last year when they were around 1.4M I think.  Couldn?t wrap my head around spending over a mil for 2500 sq ft being new to the area at the time.

bkimxmd said:
Ready2Downsize said:
bkimxmd said:

No, I went to high school in Pasadena, then went to Berkeley as EECS major and started working in Silicon Valley after I graduated. Moved back to SoCal in 2006 and have been here since.

Back