2 best friends and tale of two cities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
don't know about Ivys, but I knew plenty of students from mediocre HS who got into Berkeley struggled mightily and a few would eventually drop out or even attempt suicide. A top/competitive HS prepares the student for what's to come.

qwerty said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
Georgetown a much smaller school wait listed status just became acceptance but cost 60k vs Cal at 35k. Any thoughts?

Crime rate, teacher to student ratio, 50% Asians vs 8%, Bay Area vs DC?

if i remember correctly your duaghter wants to help people/society, which i dont think are big money majors, so i would go for the cheaper school if the end result is the same.  like i mentioned in this or some other thread, if you went to harvard to get an english degree and become a teacher why did you bother to go to harvard. you could have gotten an english degree from san diego state and still become the same teacher but could have saved a lot money.

actually, you could go to harvard and get a degree in english, philosophy, or basket weaving (aka Visual and Environmental Studies) and still go to medical school, law school, business school, or other grad school.  I have known people who have followed all these paths.

nyc to oc said:
qwerty said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
Georgetown a much smaller school wait listed status just became acceptance but cost 60k vs Cal at 35k. Any thoughts?

Crime rate, teacher to student ratio, 50% Asians vs 8%, Bay Area vs DC?

if i remember correctly your duaghter wants to help people/society, which i dont think are big money majors, so i would go for the cheaper school if the end result is the same.  like i mentioned in this or some other thread, if you went to harvard to get an english degree and become a teacher why did you bother to go to harvard. you could have gotten an english degree from san diego state and still become the same teacher but could have saved a lot money.

actually, you could go to harvard and get a degree in english, philosophy, or basket weaving (aka Visual and Environmental Studies) and still go to medical school, law school, business school, or other grad school.  I have known people who have followed all these paths.

QFT....

irvinehomeshopper said:
2 strategies with very different results: the unicorn theory that Irvine has superior schools and students have a better chance at the top tier colleges due to high academic preparation is false. 2 best Asian friends started at Myford on the same day and attended Pioneer Middle school. Before moving on to High School my daughter's best friend Holly's dad stopped renting in Irvine and moved to Villa Park so his daughter may have a better chance at the Ivies.  Holly was devastated for leaving all her friends behind to attend Villa Park High. I had other options between Troy, OCHSA, Oxford and Beckman to send my daughter to.  Family logistic and convenience factor made Beckman the top choice. Both kids had the same scholastic drive and ability. Both families sent their kids to SAT boot camps since the 7th grade and yearly of weekly tutorings on weaker academic subjects to keeping up with the school academic peer pressure.

MY daughter has a higher SAT score and similar GPAs but Holly's class ranking is #1 while my daughter just missed the top 10. Holly got accepted to all of Ivies except for Harvard. She will be attending Yale this fall and congratulation to Holly and her family for a well thought out strategy. My daughter was not accepted to any Ivy but did get accepted to other schools of her choice. She will be attending an UC this fall.

For those of you putting a big emphasis on the best high schools and high API score don't be a fool if you think that will prepare your children for the top colleges. The academic competition is fierce. If you don't have the wealth to groom your children and just scraping by to pay the HOA and MR. I don't recommend making the financial sacrifice to live in a subpar property if top colleges are your priority. I can guarantee your smart children will not be enough and will just be average compared to other college applicants from Irvine. The resume of the peers had been groomed to to perfection. High school students with financial resources traveled globally to enrich their life experiences. A team of college admission coaches polishes the college essays to making admission officers weep.

A following up on the kids who cheated in AP Physics.  They were accepted to John Hopkins, Vanderbilt, Cornell, U Penn, and University of Chicago. The rich parents hired top attorneys to sue the school. Rather than teaching kids of good morals they threatened and intimated Beckman to drop the academic dishonesty charges.

Thanks for posting this story, IHS. This is what I have always believed as well...it's better to be a a big, smart fish in a small pond than a regular smart fish in a sea of other smart fish in a regular pond. Wow, what a wordsmith I am...does this even make sense?

I think IUSD prepares its students for the rigors of college once they are there, but it's a hindrance when it comes to getting accepted in the first place.

IHS, congrats to your daughter on her college acceptance.

Traceimage,

It is good to see you again. You moved to somewhere in Arizona right? How are you liking it out there?

"it's better to be a a big, smart fish in a small pond than a regular smart fish in a sea of other smart fish in a regular pond."

I couldn't agree more with your quote as I believe that this also applies to life, not just college admissions.

-Panda

traceimage said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
2 strategies with very different results: the unicorn theory that Irvine has superior schools and students have a better chance at the top tier colleges due to high academic preparation is false. 2 best Asian friends started at Myford on the same day and attended Pioneer Middle school. Before moving on to High School my daughter's best friend Holly's dad stopped renting in Irvine and moved to Villa Park so his daughter may have a better chance at the Ivies.  Holly was devastated for leaving all her friends behind to attend Villa Park High. I had other options between Troy, OCHSA, Oxford and Beckman to send my daughter to.  Family logistic and convenience factor made Beckman the top choice. Both kids had the same scholastic drive and ability. Both families sent their kids to SAT boot camps since the 7th grade and yearly of weekly tutorings on weaker academic subjects to keeping up with the school academic peer pressure.

MY daughter has a higher SAT score and similar GPAs but Holly's class ranking is #1 while my daughter just missed the top 10. Holly got accepted to all of Ivies except for Harvard. She will be attending Yale this fall and congratulation to Holly and her family for a well thought out strategy. My daughter was not accepted to any Ivy but did get accepted to other schools of her choice. She will be attending an UC this fall.

For those of you putting a big emphasis on the best high schools and high API score don't be a fool if you think that will prepare your children for the top colleges. The academic competition is fierce. If you don't have the wealth to groom your children and just scraping by to pay the HOA and MR. I don't recommend making the financial sacrifice to live in a subpar property if top colleges are your priority. I can guarantee your smart children will not be enough and will just be average compared to other college applicants from Irvine. The resume of the peers had been groomed to to perfection. High school students with financial resources traveled globally to enrich their life experiences. A team of college admission coaches polishes the college essays to making admission officers weep.

A following up on the kids who cheated in AP Physics.  They were accepted to John Hopkins, Vanderbilt, Cornell, U Penn, and University of Chicago. The rich parents hired top attorneys to sue the school. Rather than teaching kids of good morals they threatened and intimated Beckman to drop the academic dishonesty charges.

Thanks for posting this story, IHS. This is what I have always believed as well...it's better to be a a big, smart fish in a small pond than a regular smart fish in a sea of other smart fish in a regular pond. Wow, what a wordsmith I am...does this even make sense?

I think IUSD prepares its students for the rigors of college once they are there, but it's a hindrance when it comes to getting accepted in the first place.

IHS, congrats to your daughter on her college acceptance.

Hi Socal!

No, I didn't move to Arizona...maybe Panda is confusing me with someone else? I'm still around, so I just might see you at Costco again someday. :)

Oops... my bad. I think that was IrvineSingleMom who moved to Arizona...    Anyways good to see you back Traceimage. :)

traceimage said:
Hi Socal!

No, I didn't move to Arizona...maybe Panda is confusing me with someone else? I'm still around, so I just might see you at Costco again someday. :)

legend said at the spectrum costco there has been sighting of a tall platinum blonde. Many chinamen flock there regularly hoping to get a glimpse.

traceimage said:
Hi Socal!

Haha. Unlocked another thread to spew more incorrect info?  Let me guess, the kid also got into Yale but they found out she colored outside the lines in kindergarten so they rescinded her offer.  Trolling. Beep beep.

irvinehome0wner said:
Haha. Unlocked another thread to spew more incorrect info?  Let me guess, the kid also got into Yale but they found out she colored outside the lines in kindergarten so they rescinded her offer.  Trolling. Beep beep.
Thank you - come again. Lol

Look at the other thread both of you before speaking out of your as_. Internet is all about credibility. I have been here long enough to establish my credibility and both of you are just trouble makers when you can't bear to hear the bad news. Good luck with your kids and don't come crying to me for advice when your kids have to choose between IVC and OCC. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back