2 best friends and tale of two cities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zubs said:
Asian parents put a high emphasis on University bragging rights.  My Chinese friend living in Hong Kong managed to get his daughter into Harvard.  He threw some crazy ass wedding banquet type party to announce it. 
Did he have a pinata?
Getting into an IVY is serious business.

We should focus on how to get into an IVY, not on the why, how or any moral/ethical implications.  There is money to be made here.
Kickstarting 10stepstoIvy.com before Homer does it...

irvinehomeowner said:
zubs said:
Asian parents put a high emphasis on University bragging rights.  My Chinese friend living in Hong Kong managed to get his daughter into Harvard.  He threw some crazy ass wedding banquet type party to announce it. 
Did he have a pinata?
Getting into an IVY is serious business.

We should focus on how to get into an IVY, not on the why, how or any moral/ethical implications.  There is money to be made here.
Kickstarting 10stepstoIvy.com before Homer does it...

You can have that one... JMoney and I have our business venture starting soon.

lnc said:
Be a top student in a less competitive high school or be an average student in an highly competitive high school, that's a tough call. 

All decent high school are all competitive in their own way but being in a highly competitive school, it makes you humble, it makes you aware that you are not a big fish in a small pond, it will show you that there are many more equally talented students exist, and I believe it prepare you more for the big word.

IHS's daughter being close to top 10 of highly competitive school is nothing short of remarkable.  And being able to get accepted to UC school of her choice, that's just outstanding.

Agreed that is a tough call.  Being aware of the real world and knowing that a high school student is just a small fish in a big pond gives a person a sense of maturity and humbleness.  However to know that a college seat was given to someone else who went to a less competitive school and got an easy A's is hard to justify.

ZeroLot said:
lnc said:
Be a top student in a less competitive high school or be an average student in an highly competitive high school, that's a tough call. 

All decent high school are all competitive in their own way but being in a highly competitive school, it makes you humble, it makes you aware that you are not a big fish in a small pond, it will show you that there are many more equally talented students exist, and I believe it prepare you more for the big word.

IHS's daughter being close to top 10 of highly competitive school is nothing short of remarkable.  And being able to get accepted to UC school of her choice, that's just outstanding.

Agreed that is a tough call.  Being aware of the real world and knowing that a high school student is just a small fish in a big pond gives a person a sense of maturity and humbleness.  However to know that a college seat was given to someone else who went to a less competitive school and got an easy A's is hard to justify.

does less competitive school mean lower quality school?  i dont think it is fair to not admit a student based on their school. what if a junior bill gates went to villa park high? should he get punished for not being at a competitive school even though he is brighter than any irvine school student?

qwerty said:
does less competitive school mean lower quality school?  i dont think it is fair to not admit a student based on their school. what if a junior bill gates went to villa park high? should he get punished for not being at a competitive school even though he is brighter than any irvine school student?

There is an association that less competitive school also has less quality, although that's not always the case.

However during the "No Child Left Behind" era, several schools, mostly LA County got shut down because teachers were giving out A's to students who didn't master any subjects but they merely well behaved in class.

I've known teachers in my high school that gave out A's to any girl that's willing to wear a mini skirt to class every day.  The list can go on if we open this can of worms. 

I don't like how college entrance base GPA and A's as a qualification for entry into a college because each "A"  means something different depending on the school. 

I'm not saying that Junior Bill Gates should be punished but "smartness" is very subjective.  I've known many "smart" kids make it into a tough college and after one-year they drop out because they are not used to the competition. 

There's a place for everyone in the world but when it comes to college and competition it's like playing on Survivor Island.

Since there is so much white noise of pros and cons, and we don't know what to believe, lets just stick to this questions:
How do I get my kid into Harvard? (or any ivy league school)

It looks like putting your kid in a small pond so he can be the biggest fish is the way to go.

zubs said:
Since there is so much white noise of pros and cons, and we don't know what to believe, lets just stick to this questions:
How do I get my kid into Harvard? (or any ivy league school)

It looks like putting your kid in a small pond so he can be the biggest fish is the way to go.

For this reason, I'm seeing more Irvine parents send their children to private high schools.

So, what is the class size, makeup and competition like for a good private high school around here compared to a school like Uni and Northwood?

Smashed said:
For this reason, I'm seeing more Irvine parents send their children to private high schools.

what are the good private schools around here? mater dei? i know they are a great sports school, are they a good academic school? they did give us the triple threat of CPA/MBA/Realtor aka USCtrojan.

irvinehomeowner said:
What is interesting to me is that most of the private schools are religion-based.

Why is that?

I was looking at the mater dei site yesterday to see if they had an elementary and saw the catholic price was 11,600 vs 13,000 for non catholic.

The gist of this thread is if you place a huge value in having your child go to an IVY league school, then it would be better for you to buy in Villa Park than Irvine.

irvinehomeowner said:
What is interesting to me is that most of the private schools are religion-based.

Why is that?

I plan on encouraging my sons to go this route for college, that is *if* they choose to pursue a bachelor's degree at all (I'm sure a few people's jugular veins probably just burst reading that  ;) ). I'm good with it if they make other plans instead. But the shortlist will include private universities that require a pastoral reference with letter of recommendation because I think in this day and age that would be the first big hurdle for some kids. I've laid the groundwork to help them - well, not simply for college application, but for their entire spiritual life  :p - by picking a small church where we have a personal one-on-one relationship with the pastor & his wife and of course the church family. So, come college application time, Pastor will have known them personally since they were young and can honestly provide a statement affirming their walk with the Lord, if they have a servant's heart, their involvement with the youth ministry or missions, etc. you get the gist... all those questions the application wants insight on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back