2 best friends and tale of two cities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
jmoney74 said:
The tale of two friends

Me and Homer went to Woodbridge HS... now we are both cosmetic surgeons after graduating from Yale.
Oh yeah... I used to watch your show.

Nip_Tuck_by_Nip_Tuck_Club.jpg

jmoney74 said:
The tale of two friends

Me and Homer went to Woodbridge HS... now we are both cosmetic surgeons after graduating from Yale.  Homie now resides in the CREEK and I am still in Irvine.  Irvine just pumps out successful people.  Just sayin.

Woodbridge HS sucks!! Too many bullies!

qwerty said:
Homer_Simpson said:
  Only thing I enjoy about Johns Creek now is the view, exclusivity, lack of FCBs and running into the real house wives from time to time...  :p

say hi to nene for me!

I'm all about that other chick that's gone with the wind fabolous!

thatOSguy said:
DINKs represent 7% of the population in Irvine. They are outnumbered by the number of unmarried folks with kids (9%).
http://www.bestplaces.net/people/city/california/irvine

You are way off the reservation if you think there is any sort of scale of folks who choose to live in Irvine chiefly for the schools.
Not sure how you are calculating your numbers from your link. I see this:
The average household size is 2.6 people. 40.46% of people are married, with children. 9.34% have children, but are single.
By that, my calculator says 49.80% of the population has children. So the other 50.20% are living in Irvine because?

thatOSguy said:
You are way off the reservation if you think there is any sort of scale of folks who choose to live in Irvine for reasons that don't start with "schools."
See above for how far off the reservation I am.

irvinehomeowner said:
thatOSguy said:
DINKs represent 7% of the population in Irvine. They are outnumbered by the number of unmarried folks with kids (9%).
http://www.bestplaces.net/people/city/california/irvine

You are way off the reservation if you think there is any sort of scale of folks who choose to live in Irvine chiefly for the schools.
Not sure how you are calculating your numbers from your link. I see this:
The average household size is 2.6 people. 40.46% of people are married, with children. 9.34% have children, but are single.
By that, my calculator says 49.80% of the population has children. So the other 50.20% are living in Irvine because?

Those would be children or single people. Carve out UCI and you have a sliver of single adults here for the partaaay that is beige Irvine.

thatOSguy said:
Those would be children or single people. Carve out UCI and you have a sliver of single adults here for the partaaay that is beige Irvine.
Your link doesn't indicate if that 50% includes the children or not. Nor does it show me a 7% DINK population. And that still doesn't prove your point or disprove mine.

Nor did I mention that you can't possibly know the motivation of the 50% who have children if indeed they live in Irvine just "for the schools".

I think you are farther off the reservation if you feel that the majority of people live in Irvine just "for the schools". That is *a* reason, but not *the* reason.

And you still didn't name that other OC city that has *all* the same Irvine non-school premiums (within the city) without the cost component. It's obviously leaned towards Irvine's advantage based on the location variable alone.

Schools being the only Irvine advantage is not ready for prime time. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
nyc to oc said:
So what's the point of overpaying for a Irvine house (which looks just like many many other houses in other OC suburbs) if you're not going to use the public schools?
I get asked this question by relatives.

I think people don't realize that Irvine is not *just* the schools. It's centrality, safety, like-minded neighbors (Ivy-minded included), proximity to work, food, play... etc etc.

Agree and I know my preschooler agrees with this notion as well.  She doesn't even want to visit LA because that will take her out of Irvine.  If little Zerolot can understand the bubble of comfort Irvine produces ... it doesn't take a rocket science to figure out the rest. 

Very rarely in history does someone, regardless of culture, background, or race have an opportunity to live in a bubble called "Irvine".  I'm not a Buchanan or Hilton but by working hard and going to school I have the opportunity to live in this bubble. 

I just have to know how to work a wait-list.  8)

P.S.  Little Zerolot refuses to move back to Woodbridge, Irvine as well. 

ZeroLot said:
irvinehomeowner said:
nyc to oc said:
So what's the point of overpaying for a Irvine house (which looks just like many many other houses in other OC suburbs) if you're not going to use the public schools?
I get asked this question by relatives.

I think people don't realize that Irvine is not *just* the schools. It's centrality, safety, like-minded neighbors (Ivy-minded included), proximity to work, food, play... etc etc.

Agree and I know my preschooler agrees with this notion as well.  She doesn't even want to visit LA because that will take her out of Irvine.  If little Zerolot can understand the bubble of comfort Irvine produces ... it doesn't take a rocket science to figure out the rest. 

Very rarely in history does someone, regardless of culture, background, or race have an opportunity to live in a bubble called "Irvine".  I'm not a Buchanan or Hilton but by working hard and going to school I have the opportunity to live in this bubble. 

I just have to know how to work a wait-list.  8)

P.S.  Little Zerolot refuses to move back to Woodbridge, Irvine as well. 

sounds like you are going to have some high maintenance little zerolots :)

irvinehomeowner said:
thatOSguy said:
Your link doesn't indicate if that 50% includes the children or not. Nor does it show me a 7% DINK population. And that still doesn't prove your point or disprove mine.

Nor did I mention that you can't possibly know the motivation of the 50% who have children if indeed they live in Irvine just "for the schools".

I think you are farther off the reservation if you feel that the majority of people live in Irvine just "for the schools". That is *a* reason, but not *the* reason.

And you still didn't name that other OC city that has *all* the same Irvine non-school premiums (within the city) without the cost component. It's obviously leaned towards Irvine's advantage based on the location variable alone.

Schools being the only Irvine advantage is not ready for prime time. :)

There are a number of factors that are important beyond the schools - safety, location, convenience, diversity, neighborhood feel, and city feel are all important to me, similar to what have already been mentioned.  I specifically chose NP because it was a location that I could see myself living in beyond the kids' school years.  And realistically, due to proximity to family and friends, I don't see myself moving out of Irvine unless it's maybe something in Newport/CDM by the beach.  Even then, I would be compromising on certain things to so. 

Good schools, preservation of home value, and safety are usually the top reasons for buying in Irvine. Constant supply of new homes help raise the price of older homes where in other cities older homes depreciate. FCBs know very little about home and they are afraid of getting a lemon or getting rip-off during the transaction. The process is standardized and this gives foreigner assurance and comfort to part with their cash for a new home. Even many intended not ever living in the home they know the vacant house is safe from vandals and price will appreciate.

Back to topic. Beckman has numerous IVY and Stanford acceptances among non Asians. Minority or princeling students from Irvine benefit from the academic or racial advantages. UC admission emphasize more on grades and less on race. This is why many UCs have off balance demographics.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Back to topic. Beckman has numerous IVY and Stanford acceptances among non Asians. Minority or princeling students from Irvine benefit from the academic or racial advantages. UC admission emphasize more on grades and less on race. This is why many UCs have off balance demographics.

The problem with UCs nowadays is they also recruit overseas students more because they pay more tuition.  That also skews the demographics.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Constant supply of new homes help raise the price of older homes where in other cities older homes depreciate.

In Irvine, I think the lack of supply of older/existing homes and WTF asking prices help raise the price of new homes. 

Georgetown a much smaller school wait listed status just became acceptance but cost 60k vs Cal at 35k. Any thoughts?

Crime rate, teacher to student ratio, 50% Asians vs 8%, Bay Area vs DC?

Asian graduating from Georgetown may be more unique to a company than
Asian graduating from Berkeley.

But companies may not be looking for unique.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Georgetown a much smaller school wait listed status just became acceptance but cost 60k vs Cal at 35k. Any thoughts?

Crime rate, teacher to student ratio, 50% Asians vs 8%, Bay Area vs DC?

if i remember correctly your duaghter wants to help people/society, which i dont think are big money majors, so i would go for the cheaper school if the end result is the same.  like i mentioned in this or some other thread, if you went to harvard to get an english degree and become a teacher why did you bother to go to harvard. you could have gotten an english degree from san diego state and still become the same teacher but could have saved a lot money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back