19,140 signatures to overturn Irvine?s decision on veterans cemetery location

Liar Loan said:
irvine buyer said:
As an aside, if you've traveled that stretch of Irvine Blvd. lately you'll notice the increased traffic especially during commuting hours.  The last thing anyone wants is to have funeral processions further aggrevating traffic.  Disclaimer: I don't live close enough for the cemetery to affect my property values so that is not the basis for my position.

If it operates like the one in Riverside, that won't be an issue.  All of the services are held in pavilions within the cemetery.  You would get traffic from people entering / visiting the cemetery, but there wouldn't be any funeral processions to deal with.

I don't think most people are worried about the traffic...it's the taboo nature of living next to a cemetery.

For all those that say Strawberry Fields is ON the former MCAS El Toro Base please take note of this attached 1997 US Geological Survey Map and pay close attention to the RED perimeter markings:

Please notice the red borders and what is marked  in them"Naval Reservation" and a separate border marked "Indefinite Boundary"

Notice they are separate locations. To simplify, one is a U.S. base with controlled borders and maintained military operations and the other is a simple flight path to/from the base that the US Government reserved for ground mishaps due to aircraft operations flight risks.  Nothing could be built on the flight path to save the US Government from potential flight risks.

The U.S. Government gave it away as a packaged deal, however there is a major difference in what is actually referred to AS MCAS EL Toro. It was never an indefinite boundary rather a Naval Reservation.  I sincerely hope this clears the air of confusion once and for all in regards to where the base actually was.

I was stationed as a Marine and later a DoD Contractor for over 10 years and it drives me insane to hear politicians and veterans not affiliated with MCAS El Toro to say that the Strawberry Fields location was the base.  Ok so you flew out of El Toro once during Vietnam, that does not make you an expert of the base.  I want a Veterans cemetery as much if not more than you do on MCAS El Toro, for God's sake let's put it on the actual base!  Happy Thanksgiving.

Attachments

• CA_El Toro_303028_1997_24000 pt 1.jpg
    CA_El Toro_303028_1997_24000 pt 1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 181
  • CA_El Toro_303028_1997_24000 pt 1.jpg
    CA_El Toro_303028_1997_24000 pt 1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 164
You're lucky to even get any cemetery location. On top of that you are also getting millions of tax dollars from Irvine tax payers. The least you can do is be grateful for the current compromise location voted upon by the city.

You're missing my point entirely of what I posted.  The claims out of the city of Irvine's own mouth were that Strawberry Fields were part of MCAS El Toro when indeed it is not.  An Indefinite Boundary is defined as "Not Clearly Defined or Determined".

In regards to lucky, ha that's a good one!    Rather the city or should i say unincorporated area that the US Navy decided to put a major Marine Corps installation on was LUCKY AS HELL!  The Marine Corps built Irvine!  It was nothing without it!  The City of Irvine owes it respect and honor to what served inside those base fences for over 50 years!  It is an insult to compromise what is right and just. 

Don't let the dollar signs twist or cloud what needs to be done.  Keep the cemetery on the base where it belongs to truly memorialize what went on there.

MCAS El Toro Marine said:
You're missing my point entirely of what I posted.  The claims out of the city of Irvine's own mouth were that Strawberry Fields were part of MCAS El Toro when indeed it is not.  An Indefinite Boundary is defined as "Not Clearly Defined or Determined".

In regards to lucky, ha that's a good one!    Rather the city or should i say unincorporated area that the US Navy decided to put a major Marine Corps installation on was LUCKY AS HELL!  The Marine Corps built Irvine!  It was nothing without it!  The City of Irvine owes it respect and honor to what served inside those base fences for over 50 years!  It is an insult to compromise what is right and just. 

Don't let the dollar signs twist or cloud what needs to be done.  Keep the cemetery on the base where it belongs to truly memorialize what went on there.

Nobody cares

Putting aside the politics of the cemetery, thank you for your service to this great country.

MCAS, thank you for your service.

That said, don't quite agree with you on the statement that the Marine Corps built Irvine and that Irvine would be nothing without the base.  In fact, wasn't the base unincorporated county land until Irvine annexed it back in 2003?  Irvine is the great city it is because of the vision of Donald Bren and the Irvine Company.  The base had no impact on much of the Irvine Ranch and I cannot see how the base was instrumental in making Irvine the city that it is today.  Let's give credit where credit is due.

Let's the fued continue to go on between looser, Larry Agran and the City Officials for along time. Because by then, nothing coming to fruition of the Cemetary. Irvine residents WINS.

Money saved....Sort of.

Compressed-Village said:
Let's the fued continue to go on between looser, Larry Agran and the City Officials for along time. Because by then, nothing coming to fruition of the Cemetary. Irvine residents WINS.

Money saved....Sort of.

Say what you want about Larry Agran but he helped shaped Irvine despite his crookedness.  Irvine could have easily turned into any other Orange County suburban sh""twhole. Thankfully that was delayed by a couple of decades.

The phrase that is thrown around alot nowadays "Thank you for your service" means much more by honoring the base and what it stood for.

Yes MCAS El Toro built Irvine by pumping billions and billions of dollars into Irvine and other communities around it.  i guess that literally needed to be spelled out.

Irvine Company just happened to be the recipient.

It's clear this site is trolled by a bunch of worthless political hacks and I have no time for such foolishness.  The real folks of Irvine will get their say in 2018!  Take care all, it's been real...

It's clear this site is trolled by a bunch of worthless political hacks and I have no time for such foolishness.  The real folks of Irvine will get their say in 2018!  Take care all, it's been real...

Honestly, it sounds like you're the troll, as much as I despise the Irvine Company.

If you stick around you will find that most people who buy in Irvine are either immigrants or children of immigrants who don't understand the signifigance of the roll the MCAS El Toro played in defeating WW2 enemies. They don't care that it's a toxic waste dump.

I have to edit to add, how is Vladivostok these days?

Loco_local said:
Compressed-Village said:

Money saved....Sort of.

Say what you want about Larry Agran but he helped shaped Irvine despite his crookedness.  Irvine could have easily turned into any other Orange County suburban sh""twhole. Thankfully that was delayed by a couple of decades.

+1

This is a fact or very close to it .  People may not like him for his crankiness now and he did waste a bunch of $$ but you can?t change facts and history.  Irvine was very unique compared to other generic non coastal oc  development (atleast until now ) .

The phrase that is thrown around alot nowadays "Thank you for your service" means much more by honoring the base and what it stood for.

Yes MCAS El Toro built Irvine by pumping billions and billions of dollars into Irvine and other communities around it.  i guess that literally needed to be spelled out.

They've said their piece already. That's why the cemetery was moved.

Signature gatherers told people it was the only way to save the cemetery. I was there when one of them asked me for one. No thanks.

Actually that was a fat finger thank you.

It?s not simple math with the benefits of the base. Irvine and surrounding cities are still suffering because of the toxic waste left behind. There is a TCE plume still moving under the city till this day.

Also the cemetery petition is BS. The volunteers lied to Irvine residents. Now it will cost tax payers thousands of dollars to verify all those signatures. And if successful, will cost millions more to build due to cleanup and prep issues.

?It's clear this site is trolled by a bunch of worthless political hacks and I have no time for such foolishness.?

Then why did you join TI? You don?t have time, but you made time to post.

MCAS, please help this foolish person understand how the base pumped "billions and billions of dollars into Irvine".  Maybe you could spell it out in more detail with more facts and less bluster.  I eagerly await your reply.

fortune11 said:
Loco_local said:
Compressed-Village said:

Money saved....Sort of.

+1

This is a fact or very close to it .  People may not like him for his crankiness now and he did waste a bunch of $$ but you can?t change facts and history.  Irvine was very unique compared to other generic non coastal oc  development (atleast until now ) .

People complain about the Great Park but don't realize that it was a way for Irvine to fight off the building of an airport that the Newport people wanted.  It would have destroyed Irvine as we know it.

Really all of Orange County was shaped in some way by the El Toro Marine Base.  Many of the vets that were stationed there during WW2 ended up settling nearby after the war, converting OC from orange groves to suburban housing tracts.  It's the reason Orange County has been the home of conservative politics in California for the past 70 years.

Personally, I don't see why it matters if the cemetery is within the official boundary lines or adjacent to it in a strawberry field.  It's going to be built.  It's better not to have toxic waste contaminating the graves of our veterans.  Let the builders deal with that mess.

Irvinecommuter said:
fortune11 said:
Loco_local said:
Compressed-Village said:

Money saved....Sort of.

+1

People complain about the Great Park but don't realize that it was a way for Irvine to fight off the building of an airport that the Newport people wanted.  It would have destroyed Irvine as we know it.
Defeating the airport was bad for Irvine's future. It would have transformed OC. Aside from the talent pool Why did Hock Tan move BRCM HQ to SJC? Guess what's 5 miles away....San Jose Int'l airport! The anti-airport faction will regret their actions as time goes by.

Back