Where Does Your Status in Life in Come From?

irvinehomeowner said:
iacrenter said:
irvinehomeowner said:
My status comes from how wide your garage is. :)

Oh... and the size of your lot. <-- for IC :)

True status comes from the size of your calves, not the size of your garage. Although we know someone with both 😀

Hah.

3CWG = 3 Calves Wide Garage

what is this, a garage for ants?

qwerty said:
@daedalus

Not sure what kind of sporty cars you are into but you should take a look at the Alfa Romeo Stelvio quadrifoglio. 0-60 in 3.7 seconds. They had one in stock for a couple of week at the dealership in Costa Mesa, got a chance to drive it while they had it there. Im not a car guy but it had excellent driving dynamics. As I read somewhere, it?s the more ultimate driving machine.
If I bought a car like that my wife would probably ask me to stick out my tongue to check if I've had a stroke.  I would love to have one, for sure, but I tend to buy fairly depreciated cars that are in good shape.  I don't mind the miles, and I like doing the maintenance/repairs/upgrades when I can find the time.  My cars were an average of about 11 years old when I bought them, and are an average of almost 23 years old now.  Full disclosure though, I'm looking to change the stats quite a bit if I can find a good deal on a 2013 (or newer) F250 or F350.  I would retire my Dakota with it, and it will probably be the last truck I buy.  I fully expect I'll still have it when I'm getting the senior discount without asking.

Some really great points on this thread.
When I was younger I definitely bought high end items to impress others, gain respect. Obviously I was insecure and I was "spending like a doctor" on a beer budget while going into debt. You know what they say, Big Hat, No Cattle. Champagne Taste, Beer Budget...that was all me.
And now the wealthier we become the less we seem to spend - which I suppose is the key to building wealth, keeping and investing more of the $$ you earn.
I now spend on things that bring me joy. I love fast sports cars, not to impress others anymore but just because I find it joyful driving it everyday. My husband on the other hand can care less and loves driving his 20 plus year old car. He finds joy in looking like a beach bum.
I'm like Bones, a strong believer in fewer quality products. Yes I'll buy a few very expensive handbags but they will last me a lifetime and I can pass them onto my future granddaughters, unlike the dozens of cheap handbags women buy that end up in the landfills.
We plan at least 1 vacation a year because I love spending time with my kids, making memories, spending $$ on experiences we'll look back on with Joy.
At the end of the day Money is there to do 3 things: spend and enjoy it, save and invest some of it and give generously because giving to others actually brings people personal happiness.
I actually now feel sad for those that are constantly spending money, going into debt to "impress others". What a sad way to live.

Back