Where Does Your Status in Life in Come From?

Kings said:
Liar Loan said:
eyephone said:
eyephone said:
Unless you live the minimal lifestyle than this thread means nothing.

I hope you the Op practices what he preaches.
Drives a entry level car. (Gets him from a to b)
Designer shoes forget about it.
Eating out nope, cook at home.
New school year and the kid wants a new backpack. Forget about it, use the old one. It still works, but it?s dirty.

Bottom line don?t waste your money on things you like. (Is that right Op?)  ;)

I didn't realize backpacks were now considered status symbols, but yes to most of those for me. 

I eat out for lunch a lot, so I guess I fail that test.

EDIT: This is probably difficult for you to understand.  If you are focused on the 4 things you listed because people might think of you a certain way, then that answers my question.

the real question is where do we draw the line of "ridiculousness" for "status symbols"?  is a $10,000 handbag ridiculous, but a $40,000 car is not?  is a private $30,000 per year tuition college ridiculous, but a $15,000 per year state school is not?  how about $800 iphone versus a $100 boost mobile phone?  all of these are status symbols, whether we want to admit it or not.

Well...the cost of producing a car is a lot higher than a purse and a car is significantly more useful than a purse.  A purse is a luxury item to began with...cars are pretty close to a necessity in modern society.

I once took the wife and kid to a local hole in the wall with good bbq.  As we were leaving after paying the tab, the owner smiled and said "you have a beautiful family".  Of course I'm biased in agreeing with her, and maybe she says that to 10 families a day, but I sure couldn't stop smiling that night.  There's nothing in the world I could buy that would give me a better sense of "status" than what my queen and princess already do. 

While my wife is free to buy whatever her little heart desires, if she ever spent even $200 on a bag or shoes for herself I would have her stick out her tongue to check if she had had a stroke.    We just aren't into status symbols, and we hate shopping in malls.    We daily commute in cars worth maybe $10k combined.  Our cards are Amazon Visa for buying from Amazon and Costo Citi Visa for everything else. 

Irvinecommuter said:
Kings said:
Liar Loan said:
eyephone said:
eyephone said:
Unless you live the minimal lifestyle than this thread means nothing.

I hope you the Op practices what he preaches.
Drives a entry level car. (Gets him from a to b)
Designer shoes forget about it.
Eating out nope, cook at home.
New school year and the kid wants a new backpack. Forget about it, use the old one. It still works, but it?s dirty.

Bottom line don?t waste your money on things you like. (Is that right Op?)  ;)

I didn't realize backpacks were now considered status symbols, but yes to most of those for me. 

I eat out for lunch a lot, so I guess I fail that test.

EDIT: This is probably difficult for you to understand.  If you are focused on the 4 things you listed because people might think of you a certain way, then that answers my question.

the real question is where do we draw the line of "ridiculousness" for "status symbols"?  is a $10,000 handbag ridiculous, but a $40,000 car is not?  is a private $30,000 per year tuition college ridiculous, but a $15,000 per year state school is not?  how about $800 iphone versus a $100 boost mobile phone?  all of these are status symbols, whether we want to admit it or not.

Well...the cost of producing a car is a lot higher than a purse and a car is significantly more useful than a purse.  A purse is a luxury item to began with...cars are pretty close to a necessity in modern society.

the point wasn't to compare cars and handbags, but the level at which an item becomes a "status symbol".  if we're talking specifically about cars, is a $40,000 car more useful than a $20,000 car?  most women would argue that a purse is a necessity in modern society to carry all of their things (makeup, hygiene products, etc.) - is a $10,000 purse more useful than a $500 purse with the same volume and number of pockets?

There was a thread either on TI or IHB long ago where IHS talked about the different status symbols... purses, shoes, watches, and even credit cards.

I think for most everyone here on TI... clothes and cars are somewhat a status symbol.

Many posters talk about their rides (ahem BTB) and I don't think any of you shop at thrift stores for your daily wardrobe.

irvinehomeowner said:
Many posters talk about their rides (ahem BTB) and I don't think any of you shop at thrift stores for your daily wardrobe.
Pushrods are a white people thing so I don't think it is a status symbol in Irvine. For Asians, its OHC or go home.

Alfred worked for the Wayne family for generations.  He is the ultimate status symbol.  A white butler that has worked for generations in 1 family and 100% loyal.  If these new rich families want to show off, they need to build an Alfred.  Once a few decades have passed, they may have one.

irvinehomeowner said:
There was a thread either on TI or IHB long ago where IHS talked about the different status symbols... purses, shoes, watches, and even credit cards.

I think for most everyone here on TI... clothes and cars are somewhat a status symbol.

Dress for success? There?s nothing wrong looking good. It will never hurt you. Look like a professional.

zubs said:
Alfred worked for the Wayne family for generations.  He is the ultimate status symbol.  A white butler that has worked for generations in 1 family and 100% loyal.  If these new rich families want to show off, they need to build an Alfred.  Once a few decades have passed, they may have one.

until alfred becomes self aware and murders his family that is obsessed with expensive cars and designer handbags.

have you ever seen anything so full of splendor?

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Dress for success? There?s nothing wrong looking good. It will never hurt you. Look like a professional.

Isn?t this common knowledge what I previously mentioned? They don?t teach it in school, but I think it?s a given.

Kings said:
zubs said:

until alfred becomes self aware and murders his family that is obsessed with expensive cars and designer handbags.

have you ever seen anything so full of splendor?

He wont become self aware until 2:14 AM August 29th so we have some time.
https://youtu.be/4DQsG3TKQ0I

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I rest my case.

Do $100 jeans make you more successful than $15 ones? Or something you're more interested in, do $200 Nikes function that much different from $25 C9 shoes from Target?

irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I rest my case.

Do $100 jeans make you more successful than $15 ones? Or something you're more interested in, do $200 Nikes function that much different from $25 C9 shoes from Target?

In my opinion you didn?t rest nothing.
Appearance and job performance is key in career growth. (young people remember that)

If you own your business working from home. It doesn?t really matter.

Burn That Belly said:
Next topic, which Irvine neighborhood yields the most 'status'? Rank from highest to lowest.  ;D

Shady Canyon by a mile
Hidden Canyon
Vistas at the Groves in OH
Everything else doesn't look like anything to me

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I rest my case.

In my opinion you didn?t rest nothing.
Appearance and job performance is key in career growth. (young people remember that)

But does spending more money on your clothes make you look "more" professional? And does looking professional actually mean you work harder or are smarter than the next person?

I'm not saying be a slob, but "young people" should focus more on working hard than looking good. Unless you are in sales or modeling or acting...

Do you buy expensive brand names because they look good... or because you think others will think highly of you?

irvinehomeowner said:

Well, not me.  My car is a 16 year old beater.  It's so ugly my wife is embarrassed that I drive it, but those Toyotas don't like to die even with 200k+ miles on them.  For me, it really is just a means of getting from point a to point b, that gets good mileage, and has enough power for passing slow af Asians and Mexicans on my way to work.

I also look at it as a way of staying humble, when everybody else in our income bracket seems to think driving a Bimmer makes them special.  Also, it's a way of teaching my kids about being frugal, not spending money impulsively, and doing without.  I'm a big believer in the concept of "stealth wealth".

As for clothes, my workplace is casual so I choose to wear collared polo-style shirts most days.  It's not really status driven, just maintaining the minimum standard.  When not at work, I dress in the typical beach bum style that is popular among whites in Orange County.

In high school, shopping at the thrift store was the status symbol.  It showed that you were a hipster and conformed to the grunge style.  I probably would still shop at the thrift store, but it's so hit and miss.  Finding something that looks good that also is in my size (6' 4") is too time consuming.  I hate spending more time than I need to shopping.

irvinehomeowner said:
Do you buy expensive brand names because they look good... or because you think others will think highly of you?

I buy more expensive clothes because they fit better.  And last longer.  Investing in (a few) good pieces is better than buying a bunch of crap "on sale" because it's "so cheap".  It also eliminates the need for $$$/useless things like master bedroom closet systems.

Back