Where Does Your Status in Life in Come From?

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
There was a thread either on TI or IHB long ago where IHS talked about the different status symbols... purses, shoes, watches, and even credit cards.

I think for most everyone here on TI... clothes and cars are somewhat a status symbol.

Many posters talk about their rides (ahem BTB) and I don't think any of you shop at thrift stores for your daily wardrobe.

Dress for success? There?s nothing wrong looking good. It will never hurt you. Look like a professional.

I rest my case.

Do $100 jeans make you more successful than $15 ones? Or something you're more interested in, do $200 Nikes function that much different from $25 C9 shoes from Target?

In my opinion you didn?t rest nothing.
Appearance and job performance is key in career growth. (young people remember that)

It think this is good advice, although you don't need to spend much to look good.  Just put in the effort and realize it can only help your odds of advancing. 

Just like other soft skills, such as communicating clearly and being punctual/dependable.  It adds to the brand that you as an employee are building.

Liar Loan said:
In high school, shopping at the thrift store was the status symbol.  It showed that you were a hipster and conformed to the grunge style.  I probably would still shop at the thrift store, but it's so hit and miss.  Finding something that looks good that also is in my size (6' 4") is too time consuming.  I hate spending more time than I need to shopping.

Thrifting is still a thing.  Just not here in bland/beige Irvine where conformity in logos is the key to "success".

bones said:
Liar Loan said:
In high school, shopping at the thrift store was the status symbol.  It showed that you were a hipster and conformed to the grunge style.  I probably would still shop at the thrift store, but it's so hit and miss.  Finding something that looks good that also is in my size (6' 4") is too time consuming.  I hate spending more time than I need to shopping.

Thrifting is still a thing.  Just not here in bland/beige Irvine where conformity in logos is the key to "success".

Vintage clothing or vintage stuff are bought in thrift stores or garage sales. It?s well known people can make a profit on that.

I too drive a 13 year old Jeep Grand Cherokee.  It will become my sons first car soon.  Could I afford a more flashy new Tesla or Porche?...sure, but all I see is a bunch of techno gadgets that are neat at first but will soon break and cause significant financial pain.  My next car, (to my wife's horror), will be a 1985 Ford Bronco or Chevy Blazer.  Simple, easy to work on and fix, fun to drive in the summer with the hard top off and a small bikini top, and cheap to maintain. I could care less a about mileage as I work 3 miles from my office.

Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeowner said:
I think for most everyone here on TI... clothes and cars are somewhat a status symbol.

Many posters talk about their rides (ahem BTB) and I don't think any of you shop at thrift stores for your daily wardrobe.

Well, not me.  My car is a 16 year old beater.  It's so ugly my wife is embarrassed that I drive it, but those Toyotas don't like to die even with 200k+ miles on them.  For me, it really is just a means of getting from point a to point b, that gets good mileage, and has enough power for passing slow af Asians and Mexicans on my way to work.

I also look at it as a way of staying humble, when everybody else in our income bracket seems to think driving a Bimmer makes them special.  Also, it's a way of teaching my kids about being frugal, not spending money impulsively, and doing without.  I'm a big believer in the concept of "stealth wealth".

As for clothes, my workplace is casual so I choose to wear collared polo-style shirts most days.  It's not really status driven, just maintaining the minimum standard.  When not at work, I dress in the typical beach bum style that is popular among whites in Orange County.

i think in this sense your example represents the individual that is in a stable life position (wife, stable family, long-term job) and they do not need to promote status or impress anyone.  they don't have as much to gain from status symbols as others. 

now, take a 20- or 30-something that is single, still looking to climb the career ladder, and is looking to build a better life.  this person, while it may not be the best financial decision, buys designer clothes to look good, leases a luxury car, and spends money on expensive accessories.  this person is trying to impress people to attain everything that you may already have. 

morekaos said:
I too drive a 13 year old Jeep Grand Cherokee.  It will become my sons first car soon.  Could I afford a more flashy new Tesla or Porche?...sure, but all I see is a bunch of techno gadgets that are neat at first but will soon break and cause significant financial pain.  My next car, (to my wife's horror), will be a 1985 Ford Bronco or Chevy Blazer.  Simple, easy to work on and fix, fun to drive in the summer with the hard top off and a small bikini top, and cheap to maintain. I could care less a about mileage as I work 3 miles from my office.

Those are both great choices! 

I've actually been looking at getting a classic car just for fun, but I have 4 kids so I need something that can seat 6 of us, and that narrows my choices a bit.  I like the look of classic VW buses but they aren't the safest rides in the world, and I would have to install seatbelts in the back since those weren't required until 1972, I believe.  I'm not sure I want to deal with all that. 

I've also been considering getting a vintage wagon, either Ford or Chevy.

Kings said:
Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Well, not me.  My car is a 16 year old beater.  It's so ugly my wife is embarrassed that I drive it, but those Toyotas don't like to die even with 200k+ miles on them.  For me, it really is just a means of getting from point a to point b, that gets good mileage, and has enough power for passing slow af Asians and Mexicans on my way to work.

I also look at it as a way of staying humble, when everybody else in our income bracket seems to think driving a Bimmer makes them special.  Also, it's a way of teaching my kids about being frugal, not spending money impulsively, and doing without.  I'm a big believer in the concept of "stealth wealth".

As for clothes, my workplace is casual so I choose to wear collared polo-style shirts most days.  It's not really status driven, just maintaining the minimum standard.  When not at work, I dress in the typical beach bum style that is popular among whites in Orange County.

i think in this sense your example represents the individual that is in a stable life position (wife, stable family, long-term job) and they do not need to promote status or impress anyone.  they don't have as much to gain from status symbols as others. 

now, take a 20- or 30-something that is single, still looking to climb the career ladder, and is looking to build a better life.  this person, while it may not be the best financial decision, buys designer clothes to look good, leases a luxury car, and spends money on expensive accessories.  this person is trying to impress people to attain everything that you may already have.

I guess I can see that, but at the same time I've always focused on acquiring skills and knowledge to get to where I am.  It's what I still focus on.  Participating on TI along with other blogs/forums is an extension of that.

Doing things to impress others makes me feel like a phony and a fake.  I've tried it briefly once or twice in my career, and I severely regret it.

I agree with kings 100%. When you are young, you want all the things the money you don?t have can buy. When you are older and have money, you don?t care what other people think. You know you have a fat bank account and everyone can kiss your ass.

With that said, I get the utility of a car and driving into the ground, but you get to the point in life where have to enjoy some comforts that your money can buy. Just sell your 10-15 year old cars and go get a civic with AC and automatic windows :)

"Utility" is the right word.  That "utility" might be the feeling you get by impressing others.  Or it might be how the goods make you feel no matter if anyone sees you.  I have a penchant for sporty cars, but my enjoyment of them goes up as the # of other people on the road goes down, and I don't tell anyone (other than online personas where I remain anonymous) about them unless they're car guys too, just so we can compare notes.  They are "point A to point A" cars bought for the utility of the driving experience.

I drive a minivan... what type of status is that? Although... I did get the Sports Edition.

But even when I was younger... I'm not sure I spent money on anything status worthy... I drove trucks most of my youth life... never had a Euro or Japanese luxury car.

I'm too 99%er... I can't really splurge on anything for myself that's "fancy"... I shop as generic as I can... my wife hates that I look for dress shoes at PayLess. :)

Liar Loan said:
Kings said:
Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I guess I can see that, but at the same time I've always focused on acquiring skills and knowledge to get to where I am.  It's what I still focus on.  Participating on TI along with other blogs/forums is an extension of that.

Doing things to impress others makes me feel like a phony and a fake.  I've tried it briefly once or twice in my career, and I severely regret it.

i agree, status symbols can only go so far and you eventually have to back it up with some genuine qualities that employers, significant others, and friends look for.  you can put lipstick on a pig, but at the end of the day it's still a pig.  so to that point, i would argue that there is an optimal level of "status symbols to benefits" ratio.  too much and you're trying too hard (perhaps feeling like a phony and a fake), but too little and you may be selling yourself short in a society that sees these status symbols as things that may initially make you appear more trustworthy, personable, or credible - which are important to a certain degree.

Like everything in life...moderation is the key.  You certainly want to save money and live within your means but I don't think there is anything "wrong" with spend some extra money on luxury items.  Also, money buys time.  Whether it be living close to your work or paying others to do things that you would have to do otherwise. 

For example, I pay to get my oil changed and for a gardener to clean up my small yard.  I consider those things money well spent because it gives me more time with my family. 

Additionally, we do not go on many vacations but when we do, we splurge on accommodations and maybe even upgrade our plane seats. 

Also..kids are expensive.

Finally, we make it a priority to give a non-insignificant portion of our income to charity/church. 

someguy said:
Burn That Belly said:
Next topic, which Irvine neighborhood yields the most 'status'? Rank from highest to lowest.  ;D

Shady Canyon by a mile
Hidden Canyon
Vistas at the Groves in OH
Everything else doesn't look like anything to me

Yes, it's true ... gated TIC communities = high status.

irvinehomeowner said:
My status comes from how wide your garage is. :)

Oh... and the size of your lot. <-- for IC :)

True status comes from the size of your calves, not the size of your garage. Although we know someone with both 😀

irvinehomeowner said:
My status comes from how wide your garage is. :)

Oh... and the size of your lot. <-- for IC :)

I can't deny. When I see 3 car garages or a huge backyard with a gorgeous view, I do get impressed.
Where do you get that nowdays in Irvine? El Camino Real?

@daedalus

Not sure what kind of sporty cars you are into but you should take a look at the Alfa Romeo Stelvio quadrifoglio. 0-60 in 3.7 seconds. They had one in stock for a couple of week at the dealership in Costa Mesa, got a chance to drive it while they had it there. Im not a car guy but it had excellent driving dynamics. As I read somewhere, it?s the more ultimate driving machine.

Back