Tesla Model 3

Kings said:
eyephone said:
The federal tax electric car subsidy will be cut in half next year. To some people it doesn?t matter and to some people it will make a difference.

Also the solar panel tax credit is set to decrease after this year.

this is a good point and will definitely have an effect on the people who have been holding reservations for 2 years that are still hoping for a $35k model 3.  the fact is, a $35k model 3 won't be delivered until next year, and by then tesla's tax credit may be completely gone.

If you want to charge your car at home. Add $500 for Tesla Wall unit. Plus labor cost around $1000. (If you install the wall unit by yourself then no labor cost)

If people are spending $35k on a Tesla 3, the Fed tax credit isn't that big of a factor.

People spend that much and more on gas luxury cars so that's nominal.

Other companies just need to step up their all-electric game with style and tech but even if, Tesla has already made a name for themselves and set up charging infrastructure ahead of everyone else.

eyephone said:
Kings said:
eyephone said:
The federal tax electric car subsidy will be cut in half next year. To some people it doesn?t matter and to some people it will make a difference.

Also the solar panel tax credit is set to decrease after this year.

this is a good point and will definitely have an effect on the people who have been holding reservations for 2 years that are still hoping for a $35k model 3.  the fact is, a $35k model 3 won't be delivered until next year, and by then tesla's tax credit may be completely gone.

If you want to charge your car at home. Add $500 for Tesla Wall unit. Plus labor cost around $1000. (If you install the wall unit by yourself then no labor cost)
You mean a higher amp outlet for electric cars?  It?s about $500ish for labor on newer homes.  Some older homes may be many thousands...

fortune11 said:
Kings said:
irvinehomeowner said:
lnc said:
No wonder there's  Model 3 everywhere, 50% of all Model 3 were sold in California.
https://insideevs.com/half-tesla-model-3-registrations-california/

And how many of those in Irvine? :)
49.9%

What?s with Irvine s Tesla obsession - can someone explain this cultural phenom.

buy expensive house with hoa, but not pay for weekly trash pickup (free dumping at local park)
buy a dryer, but not use it (use clothesline, sun is free)
buy a tesla, and not pay for gas?

fortune11 said:
Kings said:
irvinehomeowner said:
lnc said:
No wonder there's  Model 3 everywhere, 50% of all Model 3 were sold in California.

49.9%

What?s with Irvine s Tesla obsession - can someone explain this cultural phenom.

as all of us on this board know, irvine is filled with people that have more money than they need. buying a tesla fulfills a feeling of "doing the right thing" for the environment while also fueling one's own need to own a fancy toy

AW said:
fortune11 said:
Kings said:
irvinehomeowner said:
lnc said:

49.9%

buy expensive house with hoa, but not pay for weekly trash pickup (free dumping at local park)
buy a dryer, but not use it (use clothesline, sun is free)
buy a tesla, and not pay for gas?

Did you just describes Eastwood?  :)

The online reviews for the new performance model sound great. I'm impressed with people not only complimenting the acceleration but also the handling as well. I just wish it wasn't so fugly looking. At least the 20 inch optional wheels add some bling. I would seriously consider buying one to replace my current car except for a few concerns: 1) Significant delays for service and repairs 2) Poor build quality 3) And most importantly, will Tesla still be here in 5-10 years?

qwerty said:
AW said:
spootieho said:
I heard that the potential buyer @$420 is Saudi Arabian.  If Tesla is Saudi Arabian owned, it might hurt the goodwill of the brand a bit.

Back to the Model 3.  I have 3 different friends who were on the list and were notified that they can order their car.  All 3 changed their minds once notified.  That's pretty anecdotal, but if that happens frequently enough, it could hurt Tesla's projections.
Saudi?s are hedging their money like FCB?s buying properties outside their country :)

I see tons of 3?s in Irvine, actually Tesla?s in general, not so much as I drive further away.

You see a ton of Tesla?s in Irvine because people in Irvine not only like to overpay for their homes but also their cars

If Tesla loses money on each car, does that mean those who bought the cars got a great deal?  ;)

inv0ke-epipen said:
qwerty said:
AW said:
spootieho said:
I heard that the potential buyer @$420 is Saudi Arabian.  If Tesla is Saudi Arabian owned, it might hurt the goodwill of the brand a bit.

Back to the Model 3.  I have 3 different friends who were on the list and were notified that they can order their car.  All 3 changed their minds once notified.  That's pretty anecdotal, but if that happens frequently enough, it could hurt Tesla's projections.
Saudi?s are hedging their money like FCB?s buying properties outside their country :)

I see tons of 3?s in Irvine, actually Tesla?s in general, not so much as I drive further away.

You see a ton of Tesla?s in Irvine because people in Irvine not only like to overpay for their homes but also their cars

If Tesla loses money on each car, does that mean those who bought the cars got a great deal?  ;)
VW loses money on each $2.5 million Bugatti they sell (they only make 40 per year). So yes, a Bugatti is a great deal! Of course, VW makes lots of money on VW, Audi, Porsche etc. but Musk has no other source of profit.

I think SpaceX is making money isn't it? With the reusable rockets the profit margins are pretty steep.

Didn't someone review the cost of material breakdown of a Model 3, finding it had about a 25 - 30% gross profit margin? I could be wrong, but that seems to be a pretty hefty ROI once everyone else gets paid.

Soylent Green Is People said:
I think SpaceX is making money isn't it? With the reusable rockets the profit margins are pretty steep.

Didn't someone review the cost of material breakdown of a Model 3, finding it had about a 25 - 30% gross profit margin? I could be wrong, but that seems to be a pretty hefty ROI once everyone else gets paid.

SpaceX probably spends a good chunk of money on R&d. The reusable rocket pieces allow them to charge less per launch.  I doubt they are a money printing machine. Highly unlikely.

Also doubt the model 3 is a big money maker. The overhead is too significant to be covered by the volume of model 3s being produced. If gross margin was an indicator of ROI every company would be making a lot of money. Plenty of companies with higher margins than 30% that lose plenty of money

qwerty said:
Soylent Green Is People said:

SpaceX probably spends a good chunk of money on R&d. The reusable rocket pieces allow them to charge less per launch.  I doubt they are a money printing machine. Highly unlikely.

Also doubt the model 3 is a big money maker. The overhead is too significant to be covered by the volume of model 3s being produced. If gross margin was an indicator of ROI every company would be making a lot of money. Plenty of companies with higher margins than 30% that lose plenty of money

Of all automakers , BMW has the best margins . Tesla is nowhere close , it is actually burning 1-2bn cash every year and needs outside funding . Until now ... if they can sustain this 6,000 rate of model 3 production they are at breakeven. .
But Tesla is being valued as a tech / mobility / future mode company . Google s Waymo which is private , has all sorts of crazy valuations being thrown around on it , from 50 to 175bn. Compared to that Tesla is still ?cheap? . Problem is , as the ?auto? part of Tesla gets compt from the Europeans starting next year, can they maintain their edge in tech and continued to get tech like multiples ?

The longer Tesla is around it becomes clear that the potential priced in the valuation isn?t really there. Bmw/Porsche have plenty of fan boys as well. If they put out a high performance EV (I think Porsche is doing so) that would put a tremendous amount of competitive pressure on Tesla since no real competition exist for now.

iacrenter said:
The online reviews for the new performance model sound great. I'm impressed with people not only complimenting the acceleration but also the handling as well. I just wish it wasn't so fugly looking. At least the 20 inch optional wheels add some bling. I would seriously consider buying one to replace my current car except for a few concerns: 1) Significant delays for service and repairs 2) Poor build quality 3) And most importantly, will Tesla still be here in 5-10 years?

Even if Tesla isn't around, a major player will buy their tech.  That's why I pulled the trigger.  As for build quality it's the best of the American manufacturers by a wide margin and honestly service has been pretty great so far.  There's less complexity in the ICE so there's not much for me to "complain" about.  I'm coming from this as a car "enthusiast" most of my life.  Before my Model 3 I had only driven manual transmission rear wheel drive coupes.

As another user said in their post, I'm more than happy to show people the car if they're curious.

Now here's my general opinion about EVs in general.  The EV market is very new.  I think the year 2020+ will have some interesting models but as it stands the major players seem to have a whole ton of vaporware and promises about their EVs.  The Taycan is rated using NEDC range which would put it around the same range (EPA, which is what we care about) as a Chevy Bolt.  Really, VW AG in their infinite wisdom can't produce a car with better range than GM's latest (and relatively surprisingly) entry into BEVs (Battery Electric Vehicle)?  As for BMW, so far they've only shown up with their pathetic attempt at a 330e PHEV (the 1st generation Chevy Volt from 2011 is a better PHEV) and their i3 which is only $5K less than a RWD Model 3 you can get right now.  The Bolt (stupid Chevy and their names) is a better car all around.  Also, the Germans are not renowned for their amazing electronic wizardry.  Generally, the mechanical components are what they're lauded for.

It'll be interesting to see how the charging structure plays out as well as how quickly the traditional manufacturers actually can manufacture BEVs.  Then there's the whole idea of over the air updates and the lack of a dealership network.  Both of those are to me, a great thing.

I'm no Tesla or Musk fanboy and I think he should really lay off Twitter but I really think there's a great product in the Tesla vehicles.  There's nothing quite like it.  I think the BEV model Tesla has created is rather disruptive and truth be told the traditional manufacturers are pretty far behind in ramping up.  Blockbuster could've made a streaming service like Netflix any time right?

People with Tesla?s all seem to rave about them.

One person I know drove multiple bmw, Lexus, Acura and Infiniti for 20+ years.

After getting a Tesla X, he bought 3 more Teslas for his wife and adult kids. He?s not a car guy or fanboy-type. He just liked the driving experience better.

i1 said:
People with Tesla?s all seem to rave about them.

Most people who overpay for a car aren?t going to brag that they don?t like it. So they suck it up and rationalize that it?s a great car.

Back