Shopping at Portola Springs

irvinehomeowner said:
IC is right... much of the space has been filled in recent years, almost just the last 2.

Crossroads had been a ghost town forever, long time businesses there closed within the last 5 years. They are just recently refilling those spaces.

OH had turnover issues as did some other TIC centers (before ATB, that corner of Culver/IVC was dead).

Having actually dealt with TIC on negotiating a lease (in The Crossroads actually), they want quite a bit which makes it hard if you are not chain-backed. From what I remember, it's minimum 5-year lease, and not only is the $/sft high (higher than most of the non-TIC retail centers) but they expect a % of profits too.

TIC knows their retail centers are hard to develop, that's why they haven't build a new one yet since OH... I would bet that The Great Park gets one (if it's non TIC) before Portola Springs gets one.

We briefly skirted with the idea of opening a business with TIC and also found the process to be very daunting.  You have to fit the business model they want and then they charge an arm and a leg for CCC and $/sft.

The non-TIC centers around Irvine have done much better IMO.

Heritage Shopping Center revitalized itself by bringing in Mitsuwa, Daiso, and Bruxie.

The shopping center across from the District has smartly moved in Walmart, Starbucks, Chase, the Habit, and Seafood City.

Orangetree shopping is way to popular for its own good and even the shopping center with Zion in it has done well.

TIC should have had the foresight to bring in business like those but I don't think they want to take the risk.  TIC could put in a big Korean market/supercenter or another Chinese market to compete with 99 Ranch.  The accompanying business will come.  We just went to the new shopping center in Buena Park with a new H Mart...no vacancy issues there.

WasToldToChangeMyName said:
NYT said:
jmoney74 said:
I think Woodbury will get pretty crowded come next year when the new communities get built in.  CV and SG still getting built out.. then GP zone #1 is modeling by Spring time.  Stores such as staples can't last with that type of footprint.  They have to go small like the Office Max store at the marketplace.  I hope they can bring in a Target or 24 hour fitness.

Hate to break it to you but the 24 hour fitness ain't happening - not with la fitness there already.  Doubt target will go in that space either. My guess. Maybe another preschool. Haha.

Agree with you on both counts. I'm sure LA Fitness has some sort of non-compete clause in their lease. I don't think a Target would fit in the former Staples + adjacent empty space.

Yea. Typical target stores are 120,000 sf. The smaller city targets for urban areas are 80,000 sf. The staples + adjacent space is 40,000 sf combined. Target isn't happening.

So...I should root for the demise of the Home Depot at Woodbury....that is another store that I could do without.

thatOSguy said:
Tom_Irvine_Guy said:
with retail and new schools, value of PS will increase by 10-20%. this is my guess

Those aren't generally cited as reasons why people pass on PS. Not sure how it would magically make the folks that skip it forgive the landfill, distance to the freeway and access issues.

Yeah...Laguna Altura does not have access to shopping and it's done very well.

Access to retail is good but the way PS is set up...you need to drive out of the neighbor hood to get to even close by shopping.

Irvinecommuter said:
NYT said:
jmoney74 said:
I think Woodbury will get pretty crowded come next year when the new communities get built in.  CV and SG still getting built out.. then GP zone #1 is modeling by Spring time.  Stores such as staples can't last with that type of footprint.  They have to go small like the Office Max store at the marketplace.  I hope they can bring in a Target or 24 hour fitness.

Hate to break it to you but the 24 hour fitness ain't happening - not with la fitness there already.  Doubt target will go in that space either. My guess. Maybe another preschool. Haha.

Agree with you on both counts. I'm sure LA Fitness has some sort of non-compete clause in their lease. I don't think a Target would fit in the former Staples + adjacent empty space.

Yea. Typical target stores are 120,000 sf. The smaller city targets for urban areas are 80,000 sf. The staples + adjacent space is 40,000 sf combined. Target isn't happening.

So...I should root for the demise of the Home Depot at Woodbury....that is another store that I could do without.

As much as I like Lowe's better over Home Depot, I don't like having to drive to Marketplace for Lowes or Home Depot if I need a small parts here and there that I forgot to think of while doing fixes at home .. so Home Depot needs to stay :)

GH said:
Irvinecommuter said:
NYT said:
jmoney74 said:

As much as I like Lowe's better over Home Depot, I don't like having to drive to Marketplace for Lowes or Home Depot if I need a small parts here and there that I forgot to think of while doing fixes at home .. so Home Depot needs to stay :)

I feel like...there is a smaller hardware store that can fit that need better than a 110,000 sq. Home Dept.  I mean half the place is a lumbar yard.  True Value or Orchard Supply in the space where Staples was (and the adjacent area) would be perfect. 

Target where Home Depot is!

I like having a hardware store close by (Lowe's or Home Depot). Now, does it need to be that big? So, yes to having a hardware store at Woodbury, but yes to also moving it and making space for Target!

I think the proposed church across the street is supposed to be day care as well.  Not sure yet.

Where can we find out their future plan for the shopping center?

I think anyone who walk into the sales office should complain excessively about the inconvenience of shopping at PS, so hopefully they can see that as a problem if they are trying to sell homes to the buyers!

Cling said:
Where can we find out their future plan for the shopping center?

I think anyone who walk into the sales office should complain excessively about the inconvenience of shopping at PS, so hopefully they can see that as a problem if they are trying to sell homes to the buyers!

The sales office don't have any authority regarding the shopping center. The city is the one you should voice your opinion to. I believe there is a plan or something.

Complain to the City Council.  Ask if the Irvine Company changed plans (with city ok) to swap shopping center with school area and then develop old school area to homes.

Trav25 said:
Complain to the City Council.  Ask if the Irvine Company changed plans (with city ok) to swap shopping center with school area and then develop old school area to homes.

Since Irvine City Council is the right hand of TIC, I suspect that TIC got whatever approvals they need to swap out the shopping center and put in the school. The problem is that Woodbury Town Center currently has multiple vacancies. Why would TIC build yet another shopping center when there are still vacancies at the next closest one. Plus, a shopping center at Portola Springs would mainly serve PS residents, and would have to have some major draw to bring out residents of other villages. Personally, I have much more use for a shopping center than a school and am upset at the decision that was made.

Back