Shopping at Portola Springs

WasToldToChangeMyName said:
I really think a preschool may go into that staples space - either a great foundations expansion or maybe a whole another one all together. Can't think of anything else that makes sense there. Such a large space.  Already 2 groceries and a gym at that plaza.

I would also wish for Great Foundation to expand (we are still on waitlist since last September !).  For sure, TIC and great foundation signed a non-compete clause so I doubt another one can open in the area.

Or maybe a large tutoring center for the new common core curriculum  :)  Not sure if it is just me but I don't seem to notice any Kumon / tutoring type of business in Woodbury.

GH said:
I really think a preschool may go into that staples space - either a great foundations expansion or maybe a whole another one all together. Can't think of anything else that makes sense there. Such a large space.  Already 2 groceries and a gym at that plaza.

I would also wish for Great Foundation to expand (we are still on waitlist since last September !).  For sure, TIC and great foundation signed a non-compete clause so I doubt another one can open in the area.

Or maybe a large tutoring center for the new common core curriculum  :)  Not sure if it is just me but I don't seem to notice any Kumon / tutoring type of business in Woodbury.

For infant or preschool?  Have you checked in periodically to remind them/refresh your name on the list?  That helps a lot. I'm surprised you haven't gotten a call - many places went through a good chunk of their wait lists placing kids for September.  Tutoring place could work but those places like biz parks like that cluster by Jeffrey/5 fwy.

She was an infant last year, now a toddler.  The receptionist I talked to though are honest in dosing our hope to get a slot for toddler.  She said that the only chance we can get a spot at the 2-3 yr old is if someone leave (that is like 2-3 at most a year) because infants currently enrolled always had the first priority as they move up.  Apart from that, other kids have higher priority than the wait list includes kids from other Great Foundation that want to transfer, siblings of current enrollees on any Great foundation facility etc .. thus the chance are slim to almost none ..

She said our only chance is to have another baby as infant is the easiest way to get it.  Go on waitlist right away on the first few months on pregnancy.  Once your baby is in,  the toddler one would shoot right up the priority list as siblings :)

GH said:
GH said:

For infant or preschool?  Have you checked in periodically to remind them/refresh your name on the list?  That helps a lot. I'm surprised you haven't gotten a call - many places went through a good chunk of their wait lists placing kids for September.  Tutoring place could work but those places like biz parks like that cluster by Jeffrey/5 fwy.

She was an infant last year, now a toddler.  The receptionist I talked to though are honest in dosing our hope to get a slot for toddler.  She said that the only chance we can get a spot at the 2-3 yr old is if someone leave (that is like 2-3 at most a year) because infants currently enrolled always had the first priority as they move up.  Apart from that, other kids have higher priority than the wait list includes kids from other Great Foundation that want to transfer, siblings of current enrollees on any Great foundation facility etc .. thus the chance are slim to almost none ..

She said our only chance is to have another baby as infant is the easiest way to get it.  Go on waitlist right away on the first few months on pregnancy.  Once your baby is in,  the toddler one would shoot right up the priority list as siblings :)

I am curious...what is the tuition for that place?  I remember looking at the price sheet for LePort in OH and thought it was ridiculous.

I do like the mandarin immersion program but it's $175 a month!

Irvinecommuter said:
I am curious...what is the tuition for that place?  I remember looking at the price sheet for LePort in OH and thought it was ridiculous.

Last I remember, its around $1100 per month for 2-3 yrs old .. plus you either bring her food or buy from them.  the curriculum also runs from 9am - 3pm i think so extra if you want to drop off before or pickup after.

GH said:
Irvinecommuter said:

Last I remember, its around $1100 per month for 2-3 yrs old .. plus you either bring her food or buy from them.  the curriculum also runs from 9am - 3pm i think so extra if you want to drop off before or pickup after.

That's not too bad...Le Port was something like $1,350 for the schooling part and I think like $150 for the morning daycare and $150 for the afternoon day care....so if you need all day care, it's like $1,700.

GH said:
GH said:

She's right. It's hard to get into a 2yo program if there's an existing infant program at the school since the infants all move up. Is great foundations your only choice?  There are other schools that don't have infant programs - only toddlers and up. Those are obviously easier to get into as a 2 yo.

We are actually okay with our current daycare (Kindercare near my wife's work).  We were looking for closer to home to make it convenient for either of us to pickup or dropoff.  They actually offered us a spot before at their Northwood center.. my wife toured the place but didn't like the facilities and its out of the way for both of us.

thatOSguy said:
Irvinecommuter said:
I think TIC has a hard time dealing with changing demographics...there isn't enough "unique" restaurants/shops to meet the FCBs and young couples.  The traditional chain stores are not good enough anymore.

So how does one measure success as a commercial landlord?

I agree that the selection is blah but the chains "work." The best example of unique are The Lab and The Camp, both in Costa Mesa.
http://thelab.com/shopshttp://thecampsite.com/shops

Both billed as "anti-malls."

But the formula seems to be too radical/risky for TIC, which prefers the stability of an Islands. The non-chain outliers were mostly born elsewhere, imported into the TIC fold. Javier's is probably the most successful restaurant at the Spectrum, yet it was born in Laguna. Same thing with La Sirena and Zov's -- different/non-chain, but born outside Irvine.

So on topic - hard to justify changing up the formula given that it's roughly working OK for TIC. Vacancy rates are relatively low across the portfolio and business is doing fine. They have such a lock on the market, I don't know if they'd ever be able to tell if something different would work better.

I haven't looked at the numbers but it feels like TIC is "lowering" its standards to keep up with vacancies.  I mean, how many fish grill does the area need?  Jared Jewelry is setting up shop in the Marketplace...somehow that feels tacky to me. 

I do like the newer restaurants they're bringing in...like G Burger and Class 302.

Tom_Irvine_Guy said:
All i want is "Ralphs" or "Traders joe" close to Portola Pky/portola spring lol
Where does it say Future retail space in PS?

There used to be a sign at the corner of Portola Pkwy and Portola Springs Road that said future retail. That sign is no longer, and that space is now zoned for a school. Yup, sucks. I'd much prefer retail.

GH said:

I hope the closed Staples space and the adjacent similarly-sized space don't go for a school or tutoring. Get some retail in there! I think even joining both of them it's too small for Target. Target would need a size similar to the existing Home Depot.

Back to the topic.. from one of the sales people I talk to, TIC is said to be building more house along Portola Blvd all the way to the toll road entrance and beyond .. so I think they would eventually have to build a new shopping center in the area to support those communities (as well as to attract people to their new communities).

jmoney74 said:
I think Woodbury will get pretty crowded come next year when the new communities get built in.  CV and SG still getting built out.. then GP zone #1 is modeling by Spring time.  Stores such as staples can't last with that type of footprint.  They have to go small like the Office Max store at the marketplace.  I hope they can bring in a Target or 24 hour fitness.

Hate to break it to you but the 24 hour fitness ain't happening - not with la fitness there already.  Doubt target will go in that space either. My guess. Maybe another preschool. Haha.

Agree with you on both counts. I'm sure LA Fitness has some sort of non-compete clause in their lease. I don't think a Target would fit in the former Staples + adjacent empty space.

GH said:
GH said:
GH said:

She's right. It's hard to get into a 2yo program if there's an existing infant program at the school since the infants all move up. Is great foundations your only choice?  There are other schools that don't have infant programs - only toddlers and up. Those are obviously easier to get into as a 2 yo.

We are actually okay with our current daycare (Kindercare near my wife's work).  We were looking for closer to home to make it convenient for either of us to pickup or dropoff.  They actually offered us a spot before at their Northwood center.. my wife toured the place but didn't like the facilities and its out of the way for both of us.

My daughter has been going to daycare away from Irvine since she started and we're moving her back for kindergarten.  It will save time getting her there in the morning but it was convenient to have her near work in case of emergencies.

??? said:
Out of luck.

Woodbury Town Center (2 miles southwest)
Orchard Hills Shopping Center (3 miles northwest)
Cypress Village Shopping Center (4 miles southwest)
Irvine Spectrum Center (5 miles southeast)
The Market Place (6 miles southwest)

On a somewhat related note, does anyone know if the corner of Trabuco and Sand Canyon is still slated for retail? (i.e. north of what I'm calling Cypress Village East, south of Trabuco and in between Sand Canyon and the 133).

IC is right... much of the space has been filled in recent years, almost just the last 2.

Crossroads had been a ghost town forever, long time businesses there closed within the last 5 years. They are just recently refilling those spaces.

OH had turnover issues as did some other TIC centers (before ATB, that corner of Culver/IVC was dead).

Having actually dealt with TIC on negotiating a lease (in The Crossroads actually), they want quite a bit which makes it hard if you are not chain-backed. From what I remember, it's minimum 5-year lease, and not only is the $/sft high (higher than most of the non-TIC retail centers) but they expect a % of profits too.

TIC knows their retail centers are hard to develop, that's why they haven't build a new one yet since OH... I would bet that The Great Park gets one (if it's non TIC) before Portola Springs gets one.

NYT said:
??? said:
Out of luck.

Woodbury Town Center (2 miles southwest)
Orchard Hills Shopping Center (3 miles northwest)
Cypress Village Shopping Center (4 miles southwest)
Irvine Spectrum Center (5 miles southeast)
The Market Place (6 miles southwest)

On a somewhat related note, does anyone know if the corner of Trabuco and Sand Canyon is still slated for retail? (i.e. north of what I'm calling Cypress Village East, south of Trabuco and in between Sand Canyon and the 133).

I believe the best guessing by TI is that it could be the site for the 6th high school.  I think retail should go into near Burt Road where the Denny's is right now at least better retail).  There is a big piece of empty land right next to the freeway.

Back