Sausalito at Stonegate

bones said:
I know sales were bad here but it's much worse than I thought. Just got an email saying they're releasing phase 2 mid-month.

It was the perfect storm of terribleness for them...price got jacked up because of the other SG properties, opening of the PP, and the softening of the market.

Product is okay but nothing spectactular.

Irvinecommuter said:
bones said:
I know sales were bad here but it's much worse than I thought. Just got an email saying they're releasing phase 2 mid-month.

It was the perfect storm of terribleness for them...price got jacked up because of the other SG properties, opening of the PP, and the softening of the market.

La Cresta has no problem selling.  Maybe it's location, location, location.  WB > SG

test said:
Irvinecommuter said:
bones said:

La Cresta has no problem selling.  Maybe it's location, location, location.  WB > SG

La Cresta opened way before Sausalito...it opened in June 2013.  Sausalito opened in October.  PP opened the last week of September.

La Cresta also has a bigger lot size than Sausalito and the layout is much better IMO.

Also...the price point for Sausalito got pushed way up because Mendocino and Arcadia were selling well.

Personally, I can get the "luxurious" feel of the La Cresta layout.  Sausalito looks just like a bigger version of other standard SFR homes.  At that price point, it has to offer more than just extra sq footage.  If they are only on phase 2, so they sold like 5 homes in 4 months ?

I stopped in on this tract a week ago.  What are everyone's thoughts of this tract now that orchard hills is out?  I like the layout of the homes, esp plan 2 with 5 beds plus loft plus study, but the location worries me a bit.  Stonegate just seems a bit far out, and inferior to Woodbury,np,oh.  The dam and landfill are pretty close as we'll.  lots are tiny too.  They still have quite a few homes available and the plan 2s (3670 soft) are going for 1.38 or so now.

I personally like the Sausalito's floor plan a lot, all rooms are relatively specious and the layout is mostly efficient. My wife almost made me get it just for their wonderful master baths. Lot size is a real concern though. Aside from the small backyard, I really didn't like the proximity to the neighbors. Unless you get a corner unit, doesn't feel like it provides the privacy that a 1.4MM house owner deserves. Also, depending on the lot, most of them have the beautiful master bedroom view of the back of your neighbor's house - These were pretty much the reasons we decided to take our money some where else, realizing that many will think the same when it comes to resale, especially when the house is no longer brand new.

For similar price I would go with Capella in OH and try to target one of the bigger lots and find out if waiting for it is feasible. Capella is smaller in sqft and has all the aforementioned issues on even smaller lots, but it is in the Groves and people are predictably irrational when it comes to luxury. Also, Capella has some very desirable options with the master bed terrace/sitting.
The selling point for Sausalito over Capella is the good schools that it's zoned to. but there are so many other home choices in Irvine if school is what a buyer is looking for.
Go with Capella and be protect by the luxury tag when it comes to resale value.
If money didn't matter, I would go with Sausalito, but then again, if money didn't matter, I wouldn't go with either.

Buying Sausalito in SG or buying in SG in general is like buying a fake LV. Makes you a valuballer. Real ballers buy in Laguna altura or the upcoming coastal canyon.

I wouldn't go as for as calling SG buyers fake ballers. When SG first came out it was marketed as the next best thing to Woodbury, and it followed Woodbury's structure in terms of mixing million dollar houses with apt and condos. Bad idea for 2 reason: 1. the location is not Woodbury; 2. Competition got stiffer. So the reputation of SG got tarnished because it turned out to be far from the expectation. But if you can whip out 1.5MM to buy Sausalito because you like the floor plan and the accessibility to its schools, what's fake balling about it? Just because it may not be as good of an investment as other houses of the same price doesn't make it any cheaper to purchase. 
If anything, I would call Capalla owners valueballers in terms of wanting to live in the Grove but not being able to afford something of true value when it comes to size and land.

When I started reading IHB pre and during the crash 07/08, I never imagined we'd be back at a time where there was a serious discussion around which neighborhood was baller enough at $1.5m. It seems like the new normal is "bullish on <insert neighborhood of choice here/where I live>" and "bearish on everything else".

Irvine truly is special.

Fair enough, Capella buyers = pretend ballers, kind of like buying a 3 series because you can't get the 7. But Sausalito are still valu-ballers because you buy there to get more bang for your $

qwerty said:
Fair enough, Capella buyers = pretend ballers, kind of like buying a 3 series because you can't get the 7. But Sausalito are still valu-ballers because you buy there to get more bang for your $

I thought I was just buying a house...I didn't know I was also going for street cred.

Back