Prop 67 WTF!

irvinehomeowner said:
Ready2Downsize said:
Speaking of free thin bags, soon as that plastic bag fee hit, I noticed a LOT of people taking a LOT of produce bags for one item at Ansar (which btw doesn't charge for plastic bags yet).

What do you expect from Tustin people? :)

#flameshieldsactivated

Have you thought about the democraphics of the market goers? (Just a thought)

irvinehomeowner said:
The Target dime bags are nice too.

Not sure how this helps the issue as these 10 cent bags will dot the countryside just as much as the free ones.

WALL-E has job security!!
I think Target pays you when you reuse those bags.  I wonder if they also pay you to use your own bags.

Usually, I don't have a need for the bags when shopping at Target, as I can just cart the stuff out to my car without bags.  I did like re-using bags for trash and other things, though.

And I think you are correct.  The same people who littered the free bags will probably continue to litter the dime bags.  Maybe, they will turn down the dime bag, if they don't need it.

Ready2Downsize said:
Couple days ago an older guy was walking his dog and for whatever reason the dog liked the HOA grass in front of my house. After a while the dog decided to poop on the grass. Old guy just stands there looking at the dog unbeknownst to him I was standing in front of my big window waiting to see if that dog was going to do just that. I'm sure he wasn't going to clean up after it, so I opened the window and said............ "You're going to pick that up, right?" OMG the look on his face when he was caught was priceless. So happened to have one of those free bags in his pocket. If he had any intentions on using it without me there he would have gotten it out instead of looking like he was going to be on his way.

You know he's going to come back and shit on your lawn when you're not home. Better install a camera.

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Ready2Downsize said:
Speaking of free thin bags, soon as that plastic bag fee hit, I noticed a LOT of people taking a LOT of produce bags for one item at Ansar (which btw doesn't charge for plastic bags yet).

#flameshieldsactivated

Ah. After months of searching, finally found a thread remotely interesting.

Speaking of produce bags: Reusable produce bags are a thing. I already own a set. My advice is to buy the lightest ones you reasonably can due to tare weight not being subtracted at the register. One bag, one time -- not a big deal. Many bags, many times -- should have thought this thing through.

qwerty said:
And aren't these thicker bags even worse than the much thinner ones? I still throw them away. It seems like the thick ones equal 2 or three of the thinner ones.

don't throw them away! please recycle
btw doggy poop bags are like $4 for 200 bags! Is it that much of an inconvenience?
The reactions on this thread is exactly why we are all going to die from global warming. I better update my bug out bags... ::)

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Ready2Downsize said:

#flameshieldsactivated

Yeah a lot of Irvinites shop at Ansar. I know this cuz they used to have a big bin for weekly drawings (small appliances up to a car for a longer period of time) when they opened up and you could see the entries and there were LOTS of Irvine entries. I went there when I lived in Irvine.

Lots of mideasterners go there (I buy meat there, especially lamb and veges) but they do also get Asians and whites. The ones stocking up on thin produce bags were Asian.

All things being equal, I prefer the new SuperKing near Calvary Chapel to Ansar, so when I'm in that area I'll stop in if they have something I need over Ansar even though it's closer.

So just a thought about the reusable bags.......... ya gotta WASH them if you bring home food in them between uses cuz bacteria could be lurking.

Most common phrase heard at checkout lines:

"We forgot to bring our bags!"

10 cents is nothing when you consider we all pay the CRV on cans and bottles and don't complain.

irvinehomeowner said:

10 cents is nothing when you consider we all pay the CRV on cans and bottles and don't complain.

10 cents shouldn't affect the budget. However, what is next? Are the going to have additional taxes on plastic cups, plastic utensils, etc.?

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:

10 cents shouldn't affect the budget. However, what is next? Are the going to have additional taxes on plastic cups, plastic utensils, etc.?

Shhhhh, don't give them any ideas.

irvinehomeowner said:

If I don't have bags with me, I just take it out directly in the cart (haven't got any pushback from cashiers on that) and place the stuff into crates I have in my trunk. Just because you don't have bags with you in the store doesn't mean you should have to buy theirs.

nyc to oc said:
irvinehomeowner said:

If I don't have bags with me, I just take it out directly in the cart (haven't got any pushback from cashiers on that) and place the stuff into crates I have in my trunk. Just because you don't have bags with you in the store doesn't mean you should have to buy theirs.

Going Costco style--I like it.

I've been using my old crushed up bags for cashiers to use. The cheapie Albertson bags are starting to show their age but the Target ones are holding up great.

I feel weird bringing Ralphs bags to Albertsons and vice versa.

I'm just going to use the gigantic Microcenter bags I have.

AW said:
I have yet to see someone use that extra large IKEA bag for grocery shopping

LOL. I saw that a few weeks ago at the farmers market. Someone needs to setup a grocery bag BINGO ...

Although I feel Prop. 67 is totally lame in a hundred different ways and voted against it, here is some information on the bags that I was basically forced to purchase.

I literally get stopped at LEAST a dozen times when I'm at the store. Everyone asks me what they are, where I got them, how they work, have a full conversation about them, etc. So, although I probably shouldn't share actual photos of my stuff because you will totally be able to recognize me when I'm out & about in IRL, I thought maybe some TI'ers would also want to know about the bags as well since we're all in this situation together.

They are the "Eezi Shop" bags on Amazon. The set comes with 4 canvas bags in graduated sizing. The smallest bag is insulated. They velcro together while in the cart and fold up to make a carrying case. They have plastic arms which rest on the top of your cart. The arms have plastic rods which ARE removable for when you want to wash them. The bags also have handles for carrying. They are color-coded, allowing organized people like myself to sort as you go. That means you can quickly put your cold items in the ice box and freezer when you get home. Here is what I've found works best: Blue (insulated) for cold or for hot deli items, Red for canned goods & bottles so the bag doesn't get too heavy to carry, Green for produce, and Orange for large lightweight items.

20161115_143041.jpg

Sometimes the arms hit people in the butt.

20161115_154557.jpg

As shopping continues, you will need to move the child seat out of the way in order to fully expand the bags.

20161115_162730.jpg

At least there are fewer trips from the trunk and into the house. This was an unusually short trip. Normally, the bags are completely full and I have a lot of other items as well that will not fit. I try to save the bags for smaller items then load larger items without bags. Sometimes they have to split up my bags into 2 carts because all 4 will not fit. I get it all perfectly in there. But the bag boy can not get it to fit all back in the same way I did. I thank my child-self for all those hours of playing Tetris in the 80's -- it finally paid off.

I do not recommend getting bags much bigger than these. If anything, smaller is better because the larger the bag, the heavier it will get. I'm not very strong. I have a second set of 10 matching bags in my trunk that are even smaller (visible on the right side of my trunk.) I also have a third set which are ALL insulated and MUCH larger which I gave to Mr. SoCal since he is strong enough to lift them.

Update: I see Amazon says they are sold out! The set was running $25, Prime, when I got them. Keep an eye out. If you try to buy a different set, be aware that MOST of these bags sold on Amazon have a net bottom. They will rip and snag. Keep looking until you find the canvas bottoms.

So, that is my system. I hope this info helps someone out there.

I love organized people like you SoCal! I am just like that. Will have to check these bags out. But do they fold away neatly into a smaller size for storage in the car?

Paris said:
But do they fold away neatly into a smaller size for storage in the car?

Yes, they fold up to make a carrying case. The largest of the bags - the orange one - has a 3rd handle and a large velcro tab on its bottom which, joined together with the first of its handles, wraps up and holds everything together compactly.

Back