Prop 67 WTF!

irvineshadow said:
I supported this, people are too irresponsible and dump plastic bags everywhere, they're floating on the freeway, they're floating on your neighborhood common property, they're floating near the beach and the parks.  Gross.

Out of all plastic litter, I find plastic bottles the most common. Why don't the activists ban all non-reusable plastic bottles instead? Banning plastic bags won't nearly have as much an impact.

We've always recycled those plastic bags in the mini trash cans in the bathrooms.

Now we will need to buy one time use bags for the mini trash cans.  Seems more wasteful now.

irvineshadow said:
I supported this, people are too irresponsible and dump plastic bags everywhere, they're floating on the freeway, they're floating on your neighborhood common property, they're floating near the beach and the parks.  Gross.
I've never noticed that.  What part of Irvine do you live in?

SoclosetoIrvine said:
Agreed.  Plastics, being something that can never be biodegradable, is something that needs to go away.  I've down multiple beach clean ups and it's really sad to see how much plastic there is and the impact it has on the marine life.  The only reason I still use plastic bags is for the trashcans for the bathroom so I probably will need to continue using plastics until there is a better alternative for that
Weren't those old bags biodegradable?  Are the new bags more biodegradable?

iacrenter said:
Out of all plastic litter, I find plastic bottles the most common. Why don't the activists ban all non-reusable plastic bottles instead? Banning plastic bags won't nearly have as much an impact.

Plastic bottles are bad too, but at least they are easily recyclable and their are more bins for them.  Plastic bags are relatively much more difficult to recycle, only some grocers even accept them for recycling.

spootieho said:
We've always recycled those plastic bags in the mini trash cans in the bathrooms.

Now we will need to buy one time use bags for the mini trash cans.  Seems more wasteful now.

I've never noticed that.  What part of Irvine do you live in?

I see them in every part of Irvine and outside of Irvine, and they get blown around by the wind.

I supported this as well because I think we have to take every step possible to lower our carbon footprint.
If you have not seen "Before the Flood" you have to see it! It's a profoundly powerful documentary on the stressors we're placing on the environment. If you care about your kids, future generations - empower yourself with this knowledge. If we don't take drastic measures we will witness detrimental effects of global warming in our lifetime.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rpCTGicxoso

73232172.jpg

:)

The Target dime bags are nice too.

Not sure how this helps the issue as these 10 cent bags will dot the countryside just as much as the free ones.

WALL-E has job security!!

And aren't these thicker bags even worse than the much thinner ones? I still throw them away. It seems like the thick ones equal 2 or three of the thinner ones.

The money goes to the stores I believe.

To get bags off the roads the state needs a program like aluminum cans and plastic. You bet if someone could collect a dime per plastic bag we'd have a lot less flying around.

Then again it would probably encourage scavengers to completely dump trash cans searching for bags.

This really did happen in my neighborhood when the LA bag ban went into effect.  Dog poop on the sidewalk exploded (literally). Law of unintended consequences.

L.A., Soon to Be Drowning in Dog Poop, Bans Plastic Grocery Bags

Today marks a dark day in the annals of people who refuse to pick up after their dogs (or tethered goats ? whatever you're into): Los Angeles has, with the New Year, instituted a ban on plastic grocery bags, meaning that L.A.-area residents will have to either provide their own bags or pay an extra ten cents for each paper bag a store begrudgingly provides them.

Heal the Bay, a Santa Monica-based environmental group and ban supporter, acknowledged that some shoppers who reuse plastic bags to dispose of animal waste will miss them. On its website, the group suggests using old newspapers to scoop up dog waste during walks, or to reuse bread bags or produce bags, which will still be available.

http://jezebel.com/l-a-soon-to-be-drowning-in-dog-poop-bans-plastic-gro-1492744993

So when are they going to start charging you 5 cents for those free doggie waste bags in parks and near walkways in Irvine?

#teaparty2016

Speaking of free thin bags, soon as that plastic bag fee hit, I noticed a LOT of people taking a LOT of produce bags for one item at Ansar (which btw doesn't charge for plastic bags yet).

Couple days ago an older guy was walking his dog and for whatever reason the dog liked the HOA grass in front of my house. After a while the dog decided to poop on the grass. Old guy just stands there looking at the dog unbeknownst to him I was standing in front of my big window waiting to see if that dog was going to do just that. I'm sure he wasn't going to clean up after it, so I opened the window and said............ "You're going to pick that up, right?" OMG the look on his face when he was caught was priceless. So happened to have one of those free bags in his pocket. If he had any intentions on using it without me there he would have gotten it out instead of looking like he was going to be on his way.

Ready2Downsize said:
Speaking of free thin bags, soon as that plastic bag fee hit, I noticed a LOT of people taking a LOT of produce bags for one item at Ansar (which btw doesn't charge for plastic bags yet).

I don't want to say it, but I'm not surprised.

Ready2Downsize said:

What do you expect from Tustin people? :)

#flameshieldsactivated

Back