Pokemon Go

What's the purpose of this game?  Is there an end goal here?  Is there money at stake?  Sounds like a lot of wasted time, money and energy. 

I think all the Pok?mon players should stay clear of all the productive members of society. 

- Grumpy Old Man

IHO you red?  My daughter picked Valor before I could decide (we share an account since she doesn't have a cellphone yet).

As for the 7/11 Gym, not sure the CP, some fat lizard thing that looks like can eat my pokemons for dessert.  Level 5 gym maybe?

@paydwag, totally understand, i didn't grow up with pokemons so no nostalgia for me.  Just fun playing with my kid.

ps9 said:
@paydwag, totally understand, i didn't grow up with pokemons so no nostalgia for me.  Just fun playing with my kid.

Having fun with your kid sounds like a pretty good reason to me. 

That's horrible.  Could've easily hit people.

What a strange phenomenon.  Walking the dog at night at my park and people staring at their phones converging from various directions, even cars driving to the park.  Kinda creepy

Sure, P-GO is fun. There's a great deal of good being generated when an app will compel people to people outside and walk around, but the games byproduct presently seems to be zombification and a decrease in situational awareness.

In 2013 I had picked up a cell signal suppressor could interfere with phone reception and wifi within a 10 foot radius. Alas, the units cheap battery overheated and put the skids on that kind of mischief. One wonders what peoples reactions would be today if suddenly their phone reception went to zero, finding themselves having to interact with real people instead of Charizards.

My favorite line on Twitter so far on the subject:

"If you come into my yard at night looking for Pokemons, you're gonn'a find a rare one. It's called a Glockachu"

My .02c

paydawg said:
What's the purpose of this game?  Is there an end goal here?  Is there money at stake?  Sounds like a lot of wasted time, money and energy. 

I think all the Pok?mon players should stay clear of all the productive members of society. 

- Grumpy Old Man

You could say the same for (almost) all forms of entertainment. Is there a "purpose" to TV, movies, computer games?

tim said:
paydawg said:

- Grumpy Old Man

You could say the same for (almost) all forms of entertainment. Is there a "purpose" to TV, movies, computer games?

Yes, you could.  But do movie watchers crashing into police cars, falling over cliffs and disrupting public places?  And at least TV and movies can provoke thought, insight, and stimulate your mind.  Pok?mon appears to be the 'Keeping Up w/ the Kardashians' of the app world.  It just makes our world worse.

paydawg said:
tim said:
paydawg said:

- Grumpy Old Man

Yes, you could.  But do movie watchers crashing into police cars, falling over cliffs and disrupting public places?  And at least TV and movies can provoke thought, insight, and stimulate your mind.  Pok?mon appears to be the 'Keeping Up w/ the Kardashians' of the app world.  It just makes our world worse.

Pokemon Go requires people to get outside and move. And it works better when people actually interact with each other. And you have to do the interacting in person, not over the internet. Now some people are going to do the bad things you say. But most aren't. There are drivers, cyclists, and others that crash and disrupt. How many of these Pokemon Go crashes and whatever have happened? Compared to the total amount of time people are playing? Compared to the amount of extra calories burned? Compared to the amount of people that have had fun interactions with other people they wouldn't otherwise have met? Compared to the amount of times people discover a new interesting place in their neighborhood?

TV and movies CAN provoke thought and insight, but most don't.

irvinehomeowner said:
Heh, Nintendo's stock took a dive once investors realized that they don't make Pokemon Go:
http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/25/12269466/nintendo-stock-plunge-pokemon-go

The Pokemon Company is privately held (which Nintendo does have some ownership of) and Niantics Lab is spun-off from Alphabet/Google so there really isn't a way to invest into Pokemon Go more directly.

Unless you buy portable batter/power bank stocks. :)

Buy AAPL!

Supposedly AAPL might take in as much as $3 billion in the next 2 years from this. 
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/apple-stands-to-make-billions-from-pokemon-go-2016-07-20

irvinehomeowner said:
Heh, Nintendo's stock took a dive once investors realized that they don't make Pokemon Go:
http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/25/12269466/nintendo-stock-plunge-pokemon-go

The Pokemon Company is privately held (which Nintendo does have some ownership of) and Niantics Lab is spun-off from Alphabet/Google so there really isn't a way to invest into Pokemon Go more directly.

Unless you buy portable batter/power bank stocks. :)

Cool Fire Emblem app?  Can't wait

Omg!! Just what I needed! :mad: :mad: :mad: ...I just got a knock on my door... Police Officers wanting to search my house!!!! They forcefully entered my house, going through every inch of every room, even went through my underwear, which was rather embarrassing!!!  :-[ :-[ :'( They checked under the bed and inside my mattress tearing it apart!! When I asked if they had a search warrant, they answered completely hysterically: "Where did you hide it?!!?? We know it's here somewhere!!!!" At least 1000 possibilities went through my mind,,, but I thought I'll let them search for whatever they are looking for. Let's see if and what they will find!

Approximately a half hour later I watched one of the Police officers look at his mobile phone and then he shouted: " Stop it! We are in the wrong house!!!! The Pok?mon we are looking for is next door!!!!!"

Back