Pokemon Go

I watched that video on youtube as it was trending for me. My first reaction was..hmmm.. looks a lot like Irvine.

So how's the financing work with Nintendo?

Both pokemon go and pokemon are pokemon company, a consortium of nintendo, and two others.
Nintendo is up 80% in about a week. 

What's the play?  Buy puts?  Shorts?  Buy long on continued run up mania?

People can stay crazy longer than I can stay liquid.

Was at Bill Barber park monday night and there were hundreds of people playing.  There was a crowd of about 60 people sitting on the side of the hill.

Lots of kids riding bikes, or skateboarding while playing.

I don't even really get what is. I know my kid plays while I'm driving. They also played it when I took them to the Spectrum the other day. Is it like geocaching except without a physical item? I know what geocaching is. Can anyone place an item/character?

SoCal said:
I don't even really get what is. I know my kid plays while I'm driving. They also played it when I took them to the Spectrum the other day. Is it like geocaching except without a physical item? I know what geocaching is. Can anyone place an item/character?

Do they make you drive slowly so their eggs will hatch?

Someone got stabbed in Anaheim while playing at a park at midnight last night. 

That said, I think most people in Anaheim know not to go to the parks alone at night.

Can someone explain the fascination with Pokemon Go?  To me, it just looks like your chasing imaginary characters using your phone.  Doesn't seem very special to me.  What am I missing?  How is this addictive?

paydawg said:
Can someone explain the fascination with Pokemon Go?  To me, it just looks like your chasing imaginary characters using your phone.  Doesn't seem very special to me.  What am I missing?  How is this addictive?
I don't play it, but here's my opinion:

Nostalgia Factor - We love our nostalgia
Keeping it Real - The game actually fit's the Pokemon story. 
Social Factor - Lots of people are playing this and it seems quite social
Exploring - Gets people out and exploring their local neighborhoods.  People are learning about many things nearby them that they never knew about.
Collecting - Appeals to hobbyists who like to collect

Collection game, great for people with OCD, from baseball cards to Shopkins and now Pokemon Go, whenever you tag something rare, people will want it more.  A basic human drive. 

I ran out of Poke balls to play in the Pokemon go game.

The free option is to find Pokestop to get more. The other option is to buy.

My kids could not get enough of it. They ran out of poke balls when we were in The District. Luckily, quick quick drive-by a chinese restaurant, Red Robin and wholefoods filled up their poke balls.

paydawg said:

I played Ingress (Pokemon Go's predecessor). The Augmented Reality aspect of it was the draw. I don't know if you're aware of it but the map in the game is actually the real streets and places in real life.

eyephone said:

This is why the parks and hot spots like the Spectrum have so many players.

Each of these places have at least 4-6 Pokestops where you can refill on Pokeballs and other items. The Pokestops regenerate after about 5 minutes so you can keep getting items by just staying in relatively one place by looping all the Pokestops.

The game doesn't come with many instructions but this article covers almost everything you need to start (with the exception of battling in gyms, which can't happen until you are Level 5 anyways):
http://www.gamecrate.com/20-tips-and-secrets-pokémon-go-wont-tell-you/14078

I went crazy last weekend trying to level up ahead of one of my kids and am now a Level 8.

#gottacatchemall

Top Ten signs you're playing too much Pokemon Go:

1)  You love red lights/4-way stops :)
2)  You're driving way below the legal speed limit
3)  You have a new appreciation for fountains and statues
4)  You go to the 'Gym' everyday
5)  You been to every single park in Irvine

add your own...

Speaking of gyms, the one near 24 hr/Ranch 99 is probably the strongest gym in Irvine?

irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:

This is why the parks and hot spots like the Spectrum have so many players.

Each of these places have at least 4-6 Pokestops where you can refill on Pokeballs and other items. The Pokestops regenerate after about 5 minutes so you can keep getting items by just staying in relatively one place by looping all the Pokestops.

The game doesn't come with many instructions but this article covers almost everything you need to start (with the exception of battling in gyms, which can't happen until you are Level 5 anyways):
http://www.gamecrate.com/20-tips-and-secrets-pokémon-go-wont-tell-you/14078

I went crazy last weekend trying to level up ahead of one of my kids and am now a Level 8.

#gottacatchemall

I got the hang of it. Thanks

ps9 said:
Top Ten signs you're playing too much Pokemon Go:

1)  You love red lights/4-way stops :)
2)  You're driving way below the legal speed limit
3)  You have a new appreciation for fountains and statues
4)  You go to the 'Gym' everyday
5)  You been to every single park in Irvine
6) You either have a power bank in your pocket or you just leveled up
7) You drive home the "long" way
8) You flicking left or right means something else
9) You can put those "Paper Toss" app skills to use
10) You are wondering why you can't see Pokestops and realize you are using Google Maps
Speaking of gyms, the one near 24 hr/Ranch 99 is probably the strongest gym in Irvine?
How high was the King Pokemon? I've seen gyms with 2200cp and they are usually Red or Blue.

Back