PA 40 Neighborhood

ocmapper said:
Below are the links to the detailed drawings of the four apartment communities at PA40 with approved new street names and addresses:

Site 1 - Muranohttp://www.cityofirvine.org/civica/filebank/blobdload.asp?BlobID=17027
Site 2 - Cadenzahttp://www.cityofirvine.org/civica/filebank/blobdload.asp?BlobID=17026
Site 3 - Venetohttp://www.cityofirvine.org/civica/filebank/blobdload.asp?BlobID=17024
Site 4 - Umbria http://www.cityofirvine.org/civica/filebank/blobdload.asp?BlobID=17025
So Cypress Village will be Apartment Village? 

So Cypress Village will be Apartment Village?
[/quote]

Like all other villages, TIC builds apartment complex first, and then attached or detached homes. I believe that they will get community park and all pocket parks ready before they build houses around them. Their strategy works. I see grading activity on Jeffery and Sand Canyon, it seems JOST is under the way for this section. It is very interesting to see JOST extends itself to Sand Canyon. With railroad overpass, Cypress Village and Great Park will come in the next few years, the landscape in this area will undergo dramatic change. 

Interesting since Woodbury Elementary is so close to this area.

Looks like they are doing an Orchard Hills and building the apartments before the homes.

So is this an A or a B development?

Yeah... but QH/LA is a stone's throw from the 405 and there are apartment nearby.

I guess I'm referring to the fact that it will have both an Elem and Middle and also a retail center.

A neighborhood is established as an "A "village to draw desirability to an area before momentum takes off with additional urban infrastructure. It's not really a letter grade in current desirability, the "A"  just designates the amount of planning and detail that goes into a village. I would think of it like a meal: "A" village being the main course, and the other "B" villages are the sides that come along with it. (I personally think as desirable as it is, Laguna Alturra is a B village to Quail Hill.)

Woodbury has plenty of evidence of it's A quality with its entrance towers, arches, trellises,  garden follies, streetlamps, and neighborhood signage. There are separate neighborhoods within Woodbury each with its separate name, landscape theme, and signage. Even the risers on steps up to the pocket parks are decorated in colorful Moorish tiles.  There is no evidence of this in the new Villages that are directly around Woodbury. The main park in Woodbury is also the largest.

Homes adjacent to a middle school are not desirable. That is one reason it got moved to Cypress Village to make way for the more valuable land in Woodbury to contain Carmel and Montecito developments.  The Stonetree Manor Homes just being across the street from Woodbury Elementary are discounted by at least 10K. A middle school would produce more noise, more traffic, and I assume more vandalism. With the middle school, Apts, and the 5, Cypress village would probably least desirable village as far as home ownership in the current batch of villages. It is no doubt a B village.

Probably a "B" to Woodbury's "A".

And yes, LagAlt is also a "B" to QH's "A".

Shady is not on this chart... both Turtles are As.

PS was meant to be an A... but is currently a B. Stonegate is a B.

See what matchbox did... turned me into a middle school teacher and I'm grading hoods.

Starlight East said:
Columbus Grove is A. Westpark is B. Woodbridge is B-.

Tustin Legacy will be A in a few years.

My opinion on woodbridge/westpark/cg is the opposite, woodbridge maybe not an A, but higher than westpark, and CG being even lower.  Woodbridge may have older floorplans and houses, but I like the neighborhood and location far more than CG.  Just my .02

Starlight East said:
test said:
Shady is A.  Turtle is B.  QH/LA is C.

Columbus Grove is A. Westpark is B. Woodbridge is B-.

Tustin Legacy will be A in a few years.

In all actuality these letter grades were originally designated by the Irvine Company. Columbus Grove and Tustin Legacy are not  Irvine Co Villages so they receive no credit.  Woodbridge is Irvine's first A village. Westpark is a B village. But I actually no longer care, I find the subjective grading from all of you a better read, so please carry on. IHO I see an opening for you soon at the Cypress Village Middle school.  I would give Columbus Village a C and Tustin Legacy a D-. Come on, traffic over there is horrendous and it's not even built out.

Passed by PA 40 Middle school today, I saw the construction across Trabuco Road, it seems they are building the bridge from the middle school to WB. Anyone noticed?

News of the pedestrian bridge was announced in the Woodbury newsletter back in February. It's one of the perks of living in an A-village.  ;)

the A/B/Cs are non-sense. Rich Chindians are the ones who support the lofty prices in Irvine, and they only look at API scores. Woodbury will become B in the future looking up to villages such as SG/PS, because Northwood HS >>> Irvine High

Irvine Village A or B designation  does not factor academic ratings.

Seriously, is there really that big of a difference between Irvine High vs Northwood High? This claim is consistently brought up in this forum without further explanation. Yes one is newer than the other. But if High schools mean so much why don't Chindians live in a less costly location and send their kids to Oxford Academy? I read an article in the OC Register about a month ago where Irvine High was ranked #10 and Northwood #9 in top high schools.

The funny thing is, Woodbury Elem will probably become a top Elem school in a few years... it usually a slow burn where the Elem improves when new homes are built around it (like Alderwood and Stonecreek).

And... University High is older than both Irvine and Woodbridge yet is "coveted".

matchbox said:

Seriously, is there really that big of a difference between Irvine High vs Northwood High? This claim is consistently brought up in this forum without further explanation. Yes one is newer than the other. But if High schools mean so much why don't Chindians live in a less costly location and send their kids to Oxford Academy? I read an article in the OC Register about a month ago where Irvine High was ranked #10 and Northwood #9 in top high schools.
Because no amount of money can buy your kid into Oxford Academy but you can buy your way into an Irvine school.

bones said:
matchbox said:

Unfortunately perception is reality.  I know someone who owns in Woodbury already talking about "having to move" because of Irvine High.  Her kid isn't even born yet!!  She wasn't able to tell me why either.  To me, all 4 IUSD high schools are pretty good and I don't think going to one versus the other will make that much of a difference.  A high school can only do so much for a student.  At the end of the day, it's still about work ethic, smarts, time management skills and a little bit of luck to get into the right college.
It's about the parents too, dont forget that. 

bones said:
matchbox said:

Unfortunately perception is reality.  I know someone who owns in Woodbury already talking about "having to move" because of Irvine High.  Her kid isn't even born yet!!  She wasn't able to tell me why either.  To me, all 4 IUSD high schools are pretty good and I don't think going to one versus the other will make that much of a difference.  A high school can only do so much for a student.  At the end of the day, it's still about work ethic, smarts, time management skills and a little bit of luck to get into the right college.

I sold my home that was a 'Uni High' zoned home.  I could not believe the interest in the home specifically due to being a 'Uni' house.  Although I do believe the quality of the school has some bearing on the child's success in life, I feel the child's ambition and the parents guidance outweigh the "school" effect hands down.

Funny thing is I have heard 'group cheating' is rampant at Uni so the participating students can get the grades expected of them by their parents. 

lcms2002 said:
Passed by PA 40 Middle school today, I saw the construction across Trabuco Road, it seems they are building the bridge from the middle school to WB. Anyone noticed?

The bridge will be an extension of the Jeffery Open trail space.  So the bridge won't be directly connected to woodbury since the trabuco/jeffery corner is a some type of water collection area.

USCTrojanCPA said:
matchbox said:

and you can buy your way into USC. So you got your bases covered. Sorry couldn't resist. :p
Because no amount of money can buy your kid into Oxford Academy but you can buy your way into an Irvine school.

I with Bones on this one. Both my best friend and my sister received scholarships to IVY league schools and they didn't go to a high school that even ranked anywhere even in top 25. I went to the same high school and ended up in a public university. My cousin went to Northwood and then got into Cal State Fullerton. (OMG, "Cal State", I can hear some Chindian gasp!) Some people take this high school stuff to crazy extremes.

Not that the rankings matter, but since I found the article I thought I would share it to put the assumptions to rest.  Irvine High makes the top ten. The differences between all these high schools are minute.

Here are the 2011 rankings of High Schools:(and at least 4 out of 10 high schools are acceptance  based only)

The top 10

* No 1: Oxford Academy, AUHSD
    * No. 2: Troy High, FJUHSD
    * No. 3: Middle College High, SAUSD
    * No. 4: University High, IUSD
    * No. 5: Laguna Beach High, LBUSD
    * No. 6: OCHSA, SAUSD
    * No. 7: Northwood High, IUSD
    * No. 8: Beckman High, TUSD
    * No. 9: Corona del Mar High
    * No. 10: Irvine High, IUSD

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/school-287953-high-schools.html

To keep on topic regarding PA 40, Woodbury has uninterrupted pedestrian access to  WB Elementary, and a new PA 40 (Cypress Village) Middle School, with Irvine High being biking distance. Folks who want to shuttle their kids around until they finish Middle school can choose to live somewhere else.

Back