new home upgrades

irv81 said:
I am now looking at the design center options and I have to admit I am a bit overwhelmed.  I am going to try to do the least possible with the builder.  I will do electrical and insulation.  Did you guys do the "reverse osmosis" and "water treatment package"?  is it worth it, if so which one do you recommend?  how about HVAC upgrades?  Does anyone here have a list of absolute must upgrades from the IP design center list?  Thanks.
.  I loaded up on as much electrical as possible recessed lights, wired for pendant lights, ceiling fans and car charger in garage once it's dry walled it's a pain and big bucks to do it later and a mess as well, oh ya more outlets also. There was no option for "extra" insulation from IP which I was not happy about insulation is one of the cheapest building materials out there, I wanted to insulate every wall stud opening floor joist celling joist everything if there was a hole insulate it!! Hahah it makes  for a quieter house and more energy efficient,but they said no. I tried to do it myself but they said it's not yours till you CE. Lame!!!!! I let  IP know of my dislike.they only insulate exterior walls, joint walls attic.
Water treatment waste of money IMO I drink gallons of tap water filtered from fridge. AFAIK no option for hvac, ours kicks ass damm near need a parka and mitts on when ac running!! Went with stain grade cabinets, white seems to hospital sterile for me. Floors through IP you got to remember if you choose contractor you have to wait till you CE  we wanted in asap
Hope that helps
Have fun

If you go through builder, they will build ithe solar panels into the roof.  So it appears more "seemless" rather than on top of the raisers if you do it after COE. 

ilikepizza said:
If you go through builder, they will build ithe solar panels into the roof.  So it appears more "seemless" rather than on top of the raisers if you do it after COE.

thanks for the info.
there are so many different rebate/incentives involved in the solar installation. it is hard to say if builder option is better priced than after market ones. since the solar cost per watt has came down so much in the last 5 years, i think it is reasonable to project the price will come down even more.

oceanmonkey said:
ilikepizza said:

thanks for the info.
there are so many different rebate/incentives involved in the solar installation. it is hard to say if builder option is better priced than after market ones. since the solar cost per watt has came down so much in the last 5 years, i think it is reasonable to project the price will come down even more.

So your one of the lucky ones that scooped up an Ellwood home?

Only if I could have 800k dispensable money or rich parents.
Just curious about the new home buying process, may start looking when the market cools down a bit.

irvinehomeshopper said:
By then the devilopers will roll out 3CWG too!

as long as irvine still gets some 2 stories SFR/condo instead of matchbox high rises, i am fine with that.
3CWG, why not double 2CG? you get to park your ferrari, motor cycle fleet, tesla, and still have room for a workshop.

oceanmonkey said:
any PP owners here mind posting a design guidelines for great park HOA?

Here you go! Not sure if it is the latest.

Attachments

• Design Gudelines 2014-04-16 smaller.pdf
    1,013.9 KB · Views: 628
Nimby said:
irv81 said:
I am now looking at the design center options and I have to admit I am a bit overwhelmed.  I am going to try to do the least possible with the builder.  I will do electrical and insulation.  Did you guys do the "reverse osmosis" and "water treatment package"?  is it worth it, if so which one do you recommend?  how about HVAC upgrades?  Does anyone here have a list of absolute must upgrades from the IP design center list?  Thanks.
.  I loaded up on as much electrical as possible recessed lights, wired for pendant lights, ceiling fans and car charger in garage once it's dry walled it's a pain and big bucks to do it later and a mess as well, oh ya more outlets also. There was no option for "extra" insulation from IP which I was not happy about insulation is one of the cheapest building materials out there, I wanted to insulate every wall stud opening floor joist celling joist everything if there was a hole insulate it!! Hahah it makes  for a quieter house and more energy efficient,but they said no. I tried to do it myself but they said it's not yours till you CE. Lame!!!!! I let  IP know of my dislike.they only insulate exterior walls, joint walls attic.
Water treatment waste of money IMO I drink gallons of tap water filtered from fridge. AFAIK no option for hvac, ours kicks ass damm near need a parka and mitts on when ac running!! Went with stain grade cabinets, white seems to hospital sterile for me. Floors through IP you got to remember if you choose contractor you have to wait till you CE  we wanted in asap
Hope that helps
Have fun

If you're able to upgrade to whole house insulation, I'd highly recommend solid doors throughout. Just makes sense if your goal is sound abatement.

Back