new home upgrades

no logical explanation, just superstition stuff, matters to some, not to others
unfortunately the some that do care are the ones that spends billions of dollars here, so affects those who want to resell/investment, etc

can't stop this nonsense when the more 8's in your address the more money you get for your house.

Perspective said:
Can someone give me a reasonable logical argument, why anyone should be concerned with a rear door's placement relative to the front door?

When a large portion of your buyer pool is concerned about good FS and they have cash to pay for your house, unless you plan on staying in that home forever it would be a valid concern. A home with very bad FS in Irvine will considerably lower your buyer pool. So to completely discount FS in your Irvine home would be like installing pink cabinets in your house because you love the color pink and can care less about future resale.

Paris said:
Perspective said:
Can someone give me a reasonable logical argument, why anyone should be concerned with a rear door's placement relative to the front door?

When a large portion of your buyer pool is concerned about good FS and they have cash to pay for your house, unless you plan on staying in that home forever it would be a valid concern. A home with very bad FS in Irvine will considerably lower your buyer pool. So to completely discount FS in your Irvine home would be like installing pink cabinets in your house because you love the color pink and can care less about future resale.

I get that, but it's discussed too frequently as if this is something other than dumb superstitious stuff. The Irvine office building I work in doesn't have a 13th floor. Can we all agree, that this is f'n stupid?

Agree that FS is overstated and overanalyzed here sometimes. But there are two that I see (esp in PP) that seem to be major FS hurdles: T homes and certain number combos.  Won't be buying either as long as I live in irvine.

It's discussed too frequently here because FS has a significant impact on the real estate industry. 
It's also can be seen as cultural or akin to religious beliefs, so it'll always be a factor as long as the FS believers continue buying.

T-section is definitely a no-no for me, aside from FS perspective I just don't want to open my front door and seeing a car coming up my way.

Roger said:
T-section is definitely a no-no for me, aside from FS perspective I just don't want to open my front door and seeing a car coming up my way.

Agreed - there are many FS ideas I've heard that make sense as general design concepts to consider. I wouldn't want the headlights of cars directly entering the front rooms of my house nightly on a "T" situated house. This would be one of hundreds of factors I'd consider with a house and its price, but not a religious DO NOT CROSS dealbreaker.

I am now looking at the design center options and I have to admit I am a bit overwhelmed.  I am going to try to do the least possible with the builder.  I will do electrical and insulation.  Did you guys do the "reverse osmosis" and "water treatment package"?  is it worth it, if so which one do you recommend?  how about HVAC upgrades?  Does anyone here have a list of absolute must upgrades from the IP design center list?  Thanks.

irv81 said:
I am now looking at the design center options and I have to admit I am a bit overwhelmed.  I am going to try to do the least possible with the builder.  I will do electrical and insulation.  Did you guys do the "reverse osmosis" and "water treatment package"?  is it worth it, if so which one do you recommend?  how about HVAC upgrades?  Does anyone here have a list of absolute must upgrades from the IP design center list?  Thanks.

Water treatment systems are one of those love/hate upgrades. Some people have to have it, and some hate "soft water."

I'm probably in the minority here, but we're doing a lot of the upgrades we want with IP. I'm just not interested in trying to find a contractor who will actually do a quality job timely. The only after-COE upgrades we're doing are the typical ones: painting, window coverings, closet systems, and garage storage. We're in Stage 4 right now considering what flooring we'll have IP complete (bathrooms, yes) and what flooring we'll do after-COE (hardwood on first floor and maybe second).

oceanmonkey said:
anyone tried the solar upgrades?
how much is the builder typically charging for solar upgrades in irvine?

We're getting solar through the builder. $17K for 16 panels. The retail price is $20K so with the 30% rebate, our solar panels come out as $11K.
How much is your builder charging?

irv81 said:

Beside the electrical and insulation, also do the kitchen counter top/back splash, bathroom counter top/back splash, shower tile upgrades, bathtub surround, additional cabinets and cabinets upgrades through the builder.

Master bath room counter tops, back splash,  shower tile upgrades are expensive but probably even more expensive if you do it after COE.  Also you don't want to mess with the demolish of the original shower tile, potential faulty job from the 3rd party contractor and no future warranty against leakage.  From what I observed, many spent over 40% of their upgrade budget through the builder on these items. 

For the electrical, don't forget to add extra outlets in the area you might needed in the future like in the garage and behind the toilet seat.  Those bidet style toilet becomes vary popular these days, and even if you don't use one now, you might want to have one in the future.  So just add outlet behind the toilet seat just in case.

Same with adding 220V outlet in the garage for EV or plug-in hybrid cars. These type of car are getting popular and even if you don't own one, you might in the future.  The price for adding this option is not very expensive and it's actually cheaper through the builder than do it after.

For more IP design center tip, check out this thread.http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,11163.msg248600.html#msg248600

lnc said:
Master bath room counter tops, back splash,  shower tile upgrades are expensive but probably even more expensive if you do it after COE.  Also you don't want to mess with the demolish of the original shower tile, potential faulty job from the 3rd party contractor and no future warranty against leakage.  From what I observed, many spent over 40% of their upgrade budget through the builder on these items. 

Uh oh, I didn't upgrade my master bath stuff and it's too late. Now I'm worried  :(
Does anyone know any good bathroom shower and floor tiling places?

happytales said:
oceanmonkey said:

We're getting solar through the builder. $17K for 16 panels. The retail price is $20K so with the 30% rebate, our solar panels come out as $11K.

did you check with the builder who takes the 30% rebate -- builder or buyer?

sky949 said:
happytales said:
oceanmonkey said:

did you check with the builder who takes the 30% rebate -- builder or buyer?

The buyer.

happytales said:
oceanmonkey said:

from what i heard Ellwood is charging about the same, but if you look at the market rate today, it is cheaper than what they are offering.
17k for 16 panels total 4KW is $4.25/watt.  you can get $3.5/watt from many solar retailer. the only catch is by installing after market solar system, it may avoid the whole house 10 yr warranty.

oceanmonkey said:
happytales said:
oceanmonkey said:

from what i heard Ellwood is charging about the same, but if you look at the market rate today, it is cheaper than what they are offering.
17k for 16 panels total 4KW is $4.25/watt.  you can get $3.5/watt from many solar retailer. the only catch is by installing after market solar system, it may avoid the whole house 10 yr warranty.

House 10 yr warranty?

Back