New High School Boundaries

My kids are young so there is a good chance that by the time they are high school age there will be a 6th high school (or even 7th) and the boundaries will be redrawn. Or maybe we'll have moved by then.

bones said:
Is it me or does the high school #5 boundary look like it contains a lot of homes and potential homes compared to the other 4 high schools?  What's the expected enrollment for the school versus the others? Will they need a 6th high school once all of GP gets built out? 
paperboyNC said:
My kids are young so there is a good chance that by the time they are high school age there will be a 6th high school (or even 7th) and the boundaries will be redrawn. Or maybe we'll have moved by then.
Maybe that's why they have a Site A and a Site B. Whichever one they decide to build on, the other will get built on later.

With all this talk about Northwood,  it's interesting to note that it is currently under enrolled.  Both Uni and Woodbridge are closed to transfers-  but it is still possible to transfer to NW (intra-district).

irvinehomeowner said:
bones said:
Is it me or does the high school #5 boundary look like it contains a lot of homes and potential homes compared to the other 4 high schools?  What's the expected enrollment for the school versus the others? Will they need a 6th high school once all of GP gets built out? 
paperboyNC said:
Maybe that's why they have a Site A and a Site B. Whichever one they decide to build on, the other will get built on later.

They are projecting 3,563 students enrolled at HS #5 in 2022 so there will need to be a HS #6 and maybe #7.  But will there be any land available to build on then?

skiwhistler said:
iacrenter said:
NW High and Uni High have a proven track record and the future 5th high school is a big unknown.
What if UHS principal goes to start a new HS and takes some of the staff along. Who would have a proven record?
School is just a building and staff changes.
UHS gets a boost from kids of UCI faculty who are better educated than the median and likely to emphasize need for education in their children.
NHS is the newest and probably benefits from the fact that thrie better equipment, facilities, etc may attract visionary teachers.

Personally these school changes wouldn't worry me but I believe there is a significant segment of parents who do care. In the end, parents just want what is best for their children and the unknown is sometimes a scary proposition.

bones said:

I think since the new high school got most of the newer communities (CV, WB, PS and GP),  I would think most of these family are newer family and thus have younger kids.  The older communities would probably have more HS kids (probably moved in there few years ago when their kids were still young but now are in HS)..  In my neighborhood in WB, I hardly know any homes that have teenagers.. most family have toddlers and elementary age kids ..

This new high school boundaries is just a draft proposal right?

The map show 1 proposed scenario, is there an alternative scenario that show high school boundaries draw differently?

lnc said:
This new high school boundaries is just a draft proposal right?

The map show 1 proposed scenario, is there an alternative scenario that show high school boundaries draw differently?

This is the one selected.

bones said:
Really, the surefire way is to procreate with qwerty.  And I'm guessing that's a lot cheaper per square foot than a house zoned for Northwood or Uni!

Ladies of TI - i am now taking reservations!  And i cost less than 1 sq ft of your home. Just PM for further details :)

qwerty said:
bones said:
Really, the surefire way is to procreate with qwerty.  And I'm guessing that's a lot cheaper per square foot than a house zoned for Northwood or Uni!

Ladies of TI - i am now taking reservations!  And i cost less than 1 sq ft of your home. Just PM for further details :)

bones, I think you just make his day.

I don't see the big deal.  Northwood is pretty much even with University after a few years.

The new high school will be drawing from very high end homes and family who value education a lot.  It will be fine.

For those cheap parents who can't afford your rate you can sell your petri dish seeds to all Asian couples so they could list their kids as Hispanic when applying to top tier colleges.

Soon we will see a bunch of Irvine kids out on the street mowing their neighbors lawn for $1/sf instead of playing the World of Warcraft.

I went to a brand new HS (I was part of the first 4 year graduating class) and looking back it was a pretty lousy education.  Most of the teachers there were rejects or new teachers from other schools / districts.  For example, my AP Euro teacher just graduated from Cal State Chico and was the Varsity Volleyball coach.  It was his first year teaching AP Euro!!  Guess the school was desperate to fill the spot.  Less than 50% passed the AP test and out of that, only a couple of 4s/5s (maybe 1).  I mean, why would a good, well respected teacher, switch schools?  It took 3 years before someone got into an Ivy league school.  This is with senior classes of 700+ per year. 

IMHO, new is not always better.. Thank god I'm still zoned for NW.

Irvinecommuter said:
I don't see the big deal.  Northwood is pretty much even with University after a few years.

The new high school will be drawing from very high end homes and family who value education a lot.  It will be fine.

very high end homes doesn't necessary mean value education. it could just be a bunch of spoiled rich kids who don't give a crap

Jamboreedude is crying his guts out. Love the bait and switch school promotion.

The California Court Company said:
interesting. I was contemplating higher chance of birth defects but University HS. But now LA residents will not get Uni and have to live with birth defect risks. double whammy

abcd1234 said:
It looks like Laguna Altura kids will go to the new high school too.

abosch00 said:
Irvinecommuter said:

very high end homes doesn't necessary mean value education. it could just be a bunch of spoiled rich kids who don't give a crap

Or crash the Infiniti their parents bought them into a tree.

Back