New Car

Avalon4.jpg

Another feature I like about truecar.com is they show which new cars are "vulnerable".  I searched for sedans, SUVs, and vans between $30k-$35K on truecar, and then sort by 'percent savings' and get to see which car is getting the biggest haircut right now.. 

Not in the market for an Armada.. and don't care much for Saab...Avalon most bang for the buck

Optimus(sub)Prime said:
I doubt the dealer is losing money, they never do. There is enough trunk money on the car that they'll still make a profit. The margins on the cars (not the published invoice,  but the factory invoice) is amazing. The Genesis badges are technically aftermarket, Hyundai builds all cars with the "H" badge. Dealers put on the Genesis wings if a customer asks.

I'm always interested in the Toyota vs Hyundai comparisons; I've worked for both companies, driven most of their cars. It's interesting to hear consumer feedback.

Growing up in the eighties/nineties.. Hyundai will forever have a bad image in my mind...like buying Prowings from Payless, cheap but get embarrassed on the playground... Toyota makes boring, dependable cars, and most important to me, hold onto value the longest.  Recent scandal hurt the brand a bit.. but the public will forget as long as the media focuses on other issues

ps9 is like the roundcorners of cars.

What don't you like about the new Avalon? Granted you may not get as good a deal as the outgoing model is discounted but I would think some of the features/design are worth the extra money if you're set on the Avalon.

irvinehomeowner said:
ps9 is like the roundcorners of cars.

What don't you like about the new Avalon? Granted you may not get as good a deal as the outgoing model is discounted but I would think some of the features/design are worth the extra money if you're set on the Avalon.

2012 is the exact same model as 2011, there are no changes... 2013 is the Avalon which is only rumored to undergo a drastic redesign with A7 lookalike, etc.  2013 won't arrive till much later... i haven't seen any spy pics of the 2013 Avalon, only dealer has seen it...Besides, I can always resell my '11 if something better comes out... Plenty of old white folks to sell it to later :)

The invoice I was talking about is the price the distributor pays the manufacturer, that invoice never gets published. Dealer cost is averaged because there is no way a high volume dealer, like Longo, pays the same for a car as a small volume dealer. At the end of the day, the Avalon is a great deal because of market conditions (new Avalon, new Camry, added competition).

If you're happy with the Avalon, then it's a good choice. It is however misguided to believe a dealer is losing money on the car... dealers never lose (unless you were a GM dealer in 2009).

I hear you about Hyundai, I wouldn't have touched one with a 10ft pole 5 years ago. They've invested billions to elevate the brand and their products are a result of that. Their single goal is to beat Toyota. They will do everything in their power, from quality of product to pricing, to make sure that happens.

About the brand name thing... there are probably 4 tiers of cars most people in the OC will have:

Sports car Tier: Porsche/Ferrari
Luxury Tier: Benz/BMW/Lexus
SUV Tier: Escalade/Suburban
Everything Else Tier: Toyota/Honda/Hyundai

- For people in the same tier to make fun of your brand, well that's pretty weak and won't hold up. "Your Camry is better than my Sonata? Really? Because you overpaid due to the strength of the Yen?"

- SUV people, for the most part, should be in a minivan but are too cool to admit it. If you have 3 kids, go to soccer games on Saturdays, and sleep at 10.. will your SUV make you cool? They don't make fun of anything other than minivans.

- Luxury people will look down on you regardless of what you drive. They probably can't tell the difference between a Toyota and Hyundai anyway. They even bring drama to their own tier by ridiculing Lexus as Toyota.

- Sports car people won't acknowledge the everyday car driver unless they are flipping them the bird for driving slow.

From a brand perspective, by buying a Toyota you're only protecting yourself against drivers from the same tier. For Honda/Toyota drivers that have something to say... well, I point to history. The Korea business model is exactly what the Japanese business model used to be. You can live in the past and drive a Japanese car, listen to your Sony walkman, and watch your Sharp TV. Or you can stay with the times and get a Korean car, Samsung Galaxy tab, and LG OLED TV (and probably save enough money from your car purchase to buy those things).

In the everyday car tier, the value proposition should hold more weight than the symbol on the trunk - assuming everything else (safety, technology, warranty, residual value) is the same.

I love how Acura continues to fly under the radar - must be why I got such a great deal. As for resale I continuously see used 2010 MDXs advertised for more than I paid new. I wonder if Acura has been the beneficiary of the smart money that used to buy Toyota but was turned away with the scandal, yet want more than what Honda offers...

Boston2theBay said:
I love how Acura continues to fly under the radar - must be why I got such a great deal. As for resale I continuously see used 2010 MDXs advertised for more than I paid new. I wonder if Acura has been the beneficiary of the smart money that used to buy Toyota but was turned away with the scandal, yet want more than what Honda offers...

i dont know why you think Acura is under the radar? i see a bunch of acuras everyday. You dont belong to some special under the radar Acura club. Everyone thinks they get a great deal. The fact of the matter is the dealer always wins like Optimus Subprime said.

qwerty said:
Boston2theBay said:

i dont know why you think Acura is under the radar? i see a bunch of acuras everyday. You dont belong to some special under the radar Acura club. Everyone thinks they get a great deal. The fact of the matter is the dealer always wins like Optimus Subprime said.

I agree. I don't think Acura is under the radar at all. My husband and my sister both drive Acuras, and I see lots of them on the road, especially the MDX.

You can really get a brand new Acura for less than a 2010 Acura? That doesn't seem right to me... esp when USC says to get a 1 or 2-year old model and save up to 20%.

ps99472 said:
Optimus(sub)Prime said:
I doubt the dealer is losing money, they never do. There is enough trunk money on the car that they'll still make a profit. The margins on the cars (not the published invoice,  but the factory invoice) is amazing. The Genesis badges are technically aftermarket, Hyundai builds all cars with the "H" badge. Dealers put on the Genesis wings if a customer asks.

I'm always interested in the Toyota vs Hyundai comparisons; I've worked for both companies, driven most of their cars. It's interesting to hear consumer feedback.

Growing up in the eighties/nineties.. Hyundai will forever have a bad image in my mind...like buying Prowings from Payless, cheap but get embarrassed on the playground... Toyota makes boring, dependable cars, and most important to me, hold onto value the longest.  Recent scandal hurt the brand a bit.. but the public will forget as long as the media focuses on other issues

When I first got my Genesis sedan it was pretty fun since not many were on the road back in '08. I got lots of compliments for the car--much more than my generic bmw. Now I see quite a few around Irvine. The fit and finish is comparable with Toyota & Honda and their warranty is better. The thing I don't like about Toyota/Lexus is their handling/ride is too isolated and cushy versus Hyundai Genesis/Honda/Acura sedans feel sportier and more fun to drive.

getting my new Avalon tomorrow.. $31,000 + TTL = OTD.. another dealer wouldn't even come close to this.. I guess this is a good deal? 

Gotta sell my old car now.. Chrysler 300 '05 Limited...

ps99472 said:
getting my new Avalon tomorrow.. $31,000 + TTL = OTD.. another dealer wouldn't even come close to this.. I guess this is a good deal? 

I know where you can sell it  ;)

kalbi said:
what do you guys think of the audi a7?

2012-audi-a7-premium-plus-front-right-side-view.jpg

I did a test drive. I like Audi's take on the 4dr coupe originated by the MB CLS. IMHO, the A7 looks great--only the rear of the car ends rather abruptly. The interior is top notch and the technology is killer--it won CNET car of the year. It is also practical for such a svelte looking vehicle--it has a large  hatch with plenty of storage space and rear head room is good.

The downsides are 1) Price--well optioned and you are approaching upper $70K and are basically paying more $$$ for a restyled A6 2) Engine--while the 310 hp V6 supercharged  engine is more than adequate, for a little more money you can buy a 400hp V8 turbo MB CLS 550. The upcoming S7 should remedy the engine issue but with an even higher price tag 3) You only have seating for four (but how often do you really need to cram in that 5th person anyhow  ;) )

Optimus(sub)Prime said:
Avalon Limited with Nav? 39.5K sticker?

Yes, but with MSRP $38,913...at Power Toyota in Irvine

Approached South Coast Toyota with the same offer but they offered initially $33,050 but then dropped to $31,875 for MSRP $39,174 and wouldn't budge on that (I countered $31,200).  My parents bought our first Corolla there (my first car).  Would be nostalgic to buy my new car there, but oh well...

irvinehomeowner said:
ps99472 said:
Never pegged you for a gangsta.

Now I'm in the grandpa mobile..

Need a car IHO?  Black on grey leather, black limo tint, chrome factory wheels, sub/amp in the trunk.. fits well for a big guy..

ps99472 said:
Need a car IHO?  Black on grey leather, black limo tint, chrome factory wheels, sub/amp in the trunk.. fits well for a big guy..
Tempting... I've always secretly drooled over the 300. Right now my saliva belongs to the Camaro... but that's because I keep hoping it will turn into a huge alien robot.

Once you go minivan... it's hard to drive anything else. I had to put my IHOmobile into the shop for week and rented a mid-size car (Dodge something)... and I was a sad Panda... err... Baby Irvine.

I agree with OPrime about minivans vs. SUVs... for family utility... if you're not towing stuff or going off-road... a minivan is way more functional than a SUV. I can rickshaw 8 and still carry cargo in the back or on the racks... ferry 5 and I got enough back storage for bikes and stuff that can fit into truck beds without being exposed to the elements (what little we get).

My wife went to an SUV... and though she likes it... she knows that for space and function... the real SUV (super useful van) rules.

This actually gets us back to the original premise... trace... how are you enjoying your uncool-mobile?

Back