NBA 2014-2015

1st game!  Can't wait till 7:30.  So much optimism in the beginning of the season.  Enjoying it while it lasts. 

im with IHO, houston will win. rockets are favored by 6.5.  i think the rockets will cover. they will win by 8-10 points.

three hours and 20 minutes for the first laker beatdown of the season, and then another 2.5 hours after that for Kobe's first locker room meltdown where he blames all of his teammates.

Maybe I won't need TWC sportsnet this season, at least that opens up my cable/TV options. 

And Randle's down :(

Kobi was 7 of 18 for 19 points. 3 rebounds 2 assists. Should have given him 30 million a year.

irvinehomeowner said:
ps9 said:
And Randle's down :(
So the Lakers really did catch the Clippers' Curse.

This is sad, Randle looked pretty good too.

Come over to the red and blue side.

Or you can say: I'm a big Paul Gasol fan when he was the Lakers. I like his determination. When Gasol signed with the Bulls, I started to like the Bulls especially with D. Rose.
(but that's not me)

#bleedpurpleandgold

I know this is a bit old, but I find the "free agents won't play with Kobe" thing hilarious.

The Kobe supporters are asking for names and details but let's be realistic, no one is going to admit it publicly. The proof is in the results... did any high profile free agent end up with the Lakers? Dwight left, CP3 stayed a Clipper, Pau left, Lebron and Love went to Cleveland, Bosh and Carmelo stayed where they were... so if everyone really wants to play with Kobe, why aren't they on the Lakers right now?

Let's face it, Lakers will not be the prime destination until the Alpha has retired or changed his attitude. His "drive" is commendable, but there comes a time when he needs to understand that the Lakers need a new Alpha. Unless you want to see more 27 win seasons, you have to look at the post-Kobe era.

Maybe Aldridge next year... but I'm hoping for Durant in 2016. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
I know this is a bit old, but I find the "free agents won't play with Kobe" thing hilarious.

The Kobe supporters are asking for names and details but let's be realistic, no one is going to admit it publicly. The proof is in the results... did any high profile free agent end up with the Lakers? Dwight left, CP3 stayed a Clipper, Pau left, Lebron and Love went to Cleveland, Bosh and Carmelo stayed where they were... so if everyone really wants to play with Kobe, why aren't they on the Lakers right now?

Let's face it, Lakers will not be the prime destination until the Alpha has retired or changed his attitude. His "drive" is commendable, but there comes a time when he needs to understand that the Lakers need a new Alpha. Unless you want to see more 27 win seasons, you have to look at the post-Kobe era.

Cp3 - clippers has better team, better coach and more money.  makes no sense to jump to lakers
Melo - NY has phil and NY can offer more money
Bosh - Again, more money

Pau - Lakers hurt his feeling by trading him for cp3.  and every year, there is rumors that lakers will trade him.  chicago has better coach, better team and this moment pau is chasing after championship.
D12 - this is complicated.  he obviously does NOT like antonio.  Houston has much better team that lakers. 

lakers is no longer the might lakers that we used to know.  They made a huge mistake hiring antonio over phil jackson.  i blame everything on jim buss.

irvinehomeowner said:

If the Lakers had semi stars/good bench, someone would of come. Carmelo didn't come because the Knicks offered an extra year on the contract and because of Phil.

It's easy to blame Kobe, but I think the Lakers management/front office are the ones to blame.
For the following reasons:
1. Hiring MDA instead of PJ
2. Trading all those picks for Nash and signing him to a big contract
3. Trading for Howard without having Howard sign to a long term contract. Also, Lakers had a chance to trade him mid season and didn't
4. Lakers had numerous opportunities to trade Gasol (through out the years, but didn't. They might be rumors, but who knows)
5. And last the Lakers self-confidence (they were confident that Howard will sign as mention above, Lakers were confident free agents will come)

(Correct me if I'm wrong...)

Kobe is unique, so was MJ.

If Jim buss would have amnestied Kobe before the start of the 13-14 season they would have has a high a drAft pick and a blank canvas for lebron or some other free agent to come here. Management is to blame, Kobe just makes things worse. They would have bottomed out last year vs having to wait for two more years.

it is going to be a brutal season. Nash out of season, Randle out of season. The front court players are all reclamation projects; Kobe is in his last legs. the bench is in disarray. Lin looked awful last night.

I will not be surprised if they would have the worst record of the NBA  this season. In fact for the 1st 10 games they may go 0-10.

qwerty said:
If Jim buss would have amnestied Kobe before the start of the 13-14 season they would have has a high a drAft pick and a blank canvas for lebron or some other free agent to come here. Management is to blame, Kobe just makes things worse. They would have bottomed out last year vs having to wait for two more years.

Amnesty KOBE.  Are you kidding???  the guy won YOU 5 championship.  the guy works for YOU for 19 years.  the guy broke his feet and still shoot 2 free throw for YOU.

QWERY, you just lost my vote to become Mayor of Irvine.

Trading for Howard without having Howard sign to a long term contract.

This is actually a great move.  We only gave up Andrew Bynum..

I think we pay Kobe.. take care of him.  Shows a great deal of respect for our star before he retires.  Goes a long way for other guys to come here.  We'll have a clean slate soon.  Have to be patient.  Got spoiled over the last two decades. 

Honestly though.. wouldn't have been that big of an issue if Stern didn't nix the CP deal.  lol

yaliu07 said:
qwerty said:

Amnesty KOBE.  Are you kidding???  the guy won YOU 5 championship.  the guy works for YOU for 19 years.  the guy broke his feet and still shoot 2 free throw for YOU.

QWERY, you just lost my vote to become Mayor of Irvine.

Trading for Howard without having Howard sign to a long term contract.

This is actually a great move.  We only gave up Andrew Bynum..

I thought there picks the lakers also traded for Howard.

I like how you Kobe fans blame management.

Yes, they are partly to blame, but it doesn't help to have the face of the franchise not be a very good teammate.

Here's another one I hear all the time:

"The NBA and Stern screwed the Lakers by voiding the CP3 trade."

Who actually thinks CP3 and Kobe could have played together? And everyone forgets that Pau was part of that trade so no quality bigs (this was pre-Dwight). If there were all those reasons why CP3 didn't sign with the Lakers when he was a free agent, why would he stay with them if the trade did go through?

I actually don't fault management for paying Kobe that contract... maybe they should have waited to see how his comeback was so they could have saved a few $mil but I respect that they wanted to "reward" Kobe for his loyalty and many years of service.

It's a combination of things of why the Lakers are so bad (hiring Dantoni and not Phil is one of the biggest in my mind) but if you can't see that Kobe is a partial deterrent, I don't know what to tell you.

Kobe is a deterrent; but manangement allows/enables him to be a deterrent so therefore I view management as the culprit. Kind if like blaming the kids for shitty behavior when the parents allow it.

@yaliu - I still need your vote. Sports is about winning. Kobe gave us 5 rings for which he got paid very well. I do like how the patriots operate, they don't succumb to public pressure. In the next year or two they will cut tom Brady. They will not allow tom Brady to play and pay him 20M a year until he wants and ruin the franchise

Back