Minimum Wage Increase Impact/Effect

Etinchen said:
Yes, you come from a good background. So the stuff you preach are skewd.

I didn't say anything about being dumb. I meant lazy to the fact that most people just wanted to get by.

Image your parents didn't pay for your college. Image you had to work since your were a wee teenager. Would you still be accomplished? Or will you just be a high school drop out and live the rest of the days in your comfort zone at your dead end job. Millions of people hate their dead end job however cannot break that bubble to improve themselves. Would you call that stupidity? No, they fact is they simplify do nothing.

Oh course they would hold banners and protest 15 dollars per hour, equal and fair wages.

My parents didn't pay for my college and I worked since I was a teenager.  My parents were first generation immigrants that worked hard to give me opportunities to succeed...but they also had good education and seed money to help them start their lives in the US.

No, they don't do anything because there is nothing to be done.  Job security is non-existent these days.  Experience and seniority used to be good things, now they are tags for red slips because one makes too much money.  Traditionally safe jobs are no longer safe.  People are scared that they will lose their job and stay quiet just so they can avoid the fire. 

Etinchen said:
3 job rule

1st primary job

2nd Uber or Lyft driver on wee knights and weekends

3rd Airbnb your unit while you sleep in the garage with a portable heater.

I could held protest and banners, however I make more money my way.

Uhh...yeah you would need a car for Lyft/Uber.  Not just a car...a nice one.  You also need a place (again...nice place) that you can lease out for AirBnb...that's assuming you don't have family living with you.

First of all there is a lease program with Airbnb and Lyft now. ( last that I checked, Honda Civic was an entry car)

Second, I've seen many fob sublease their rooms. Even if they are currently renting the unit ( this is Irvine by the way)

Etinchen said:
First of all there is a lease program with Airbnb and Lyft now. ( last that I checked, Honda Civic was an entry car)

Second, I've seen many fob sublease their rooms. Even if they are currently renting the unit ( this is Irvine by the way)

1)  Uber/Lyft drivers don't make much money at all...even less if you are leasing the car
http://www.cheatsheet.com/business/why-you-will-not-make-any-money-as-an-uber-driver.html/?a=viewall
http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/my-money/2015/08/11/should-you-let-uber-help-you-lease-a-car
http://ww2.kqed.org/news/2016/01/07/in-reversal-some-drivers-ditching-uber-and-lyft-for-cabs

2)  Yes...it would have to be in Irvine.  Tell me how many AirBnB listings are there for South Central/East LA or Santa Ana.

OMG, I don't know where this conversation is heading so I'm out - you guys know my opinion.

But one final thought is that growing up I was NOT one of those lucky ones. I remember picking dirt off of our little apartment because my parents couldn't afford a vacuum cleaner. That was how dirt poor I was growing up and I decided that I wasn't ever going to be that way down the road. So my first job was at age 15 making minimum wage, I worked through college, I worked my ass off. And by age 19 I was far past the minimum wage level at a college research position. I did it and I know hundreds of people that have followed suite so come on - I find it very hard to believe that despite the sheer motivation someone would be stuck in a minimum wage position for their entire life. Irvinecommuter do you have minimum wage employees working for you or under you? Have you run into those that are so motivated and yet cannot move beyond that position? I have many working under me (and ones we have fired, and who have gone of disability and ones that have requested workers comp - the list goes on) and MANY that remain in those positions long term are very unmotivated and very entitled.

My husband has teams in India working for him and they are some of the hardest working people - so humble and yet intelligent, hard working, so productive. No wonder corporate America outsources their jobs. They get triple the work done for one tenth of the pay. As a business model it just makes sense to them. Some of his teams in NYC (esp the younger college grads) come out with such an entitled attitude, it's disheartening and impedes their growth within the business.
And on top of that in the tech industry they just cannot find American workers with the adequate skills they need and they find these workers EASILY in countries like India. The jobs are often there but the companies need certain skill sets that are lacking in our work force. 

Anyway I agree to disagree with some your points. I do believe we have to increase minimum wage over time. I also do believe there are some very genuine hard working citizens out there that need an increase in pay to keep up and that not everyone is lazy.  I mean all of Irvine would not exist if it weren't for the construction folk, the landscapers, the gardners, the house cleaners etc that are at the bottom of that pyramid and yet so vital to our society. But these people are very hard working, 1st generation immigrants and as I talk to them, I see their motivation, their plans to move up in the industry.  I refuse to believe that in America people who truly are motivated find it difficult to move beyond that minimum wage position. There is always opportunities - you just have to seek them. 

Anyway interesting debate points and obviously a hot topic amongst many here. Good luck with the Taiwan debate  ;D

Irvinecommuter said:
momopi said:
Irvinecommuter said:
First of all, I have no idea where you are pulling your numbers from.  Taiwan's unemployment rate is just below 4 percent and college graduates are at 4.9 percent.  http://focustaiwan.tw/news/aeco/201603220006.aspx

Unemployment rate is one of the most fudged numbers by governments world-wide.

It may be but it's infinitely better that randomly pulling numbers from the air.

I'm not so sure about that

"For forty years, I have decried the reliance upon the non-farm payrolls number as anything other than a number pulled from thin air. The revisions have been higher or lower in absolute terms by 40-50,000 per month, and there's no consistency to it," Gartman, the founder of the closely-watched "Gartman Letter" told CNBC Europe's "Squawk Box."
[url]http://www.cnbc.com/2014/01/13/[/url]

I'm an old person, and over the course of my long life and career, I have had the pleasure of working with or for people of many different economic levels from minimum wage to Fortune 100.  What I have found is that most people are very similar.  In other words, the guy cutting my lawn is not obviously less intelligent or less capable than my client who manages a multi-billion dollar enterprise.  I do not believe the grass cutter and the high level administrator chose their positions in life, they just ended up where they did. I think people become economically successful or not mostly based on dumb luck: bring in the right place at the right time, being born into a good family, not getting a horrible disease, etc. 

Let's face it.  All of you who have lots of resources or great credentials, regardless of whether you started as a child of poor immigrants or born with a silver spoon, are where you are because of luck, divine providence, ju-ju, or whatever you want to call it.  Don't flatter yourself into believing that you have greater strength of character than those who are not as lucky as you.

Happiness said:
What I have found is that most people are very similar.  In other words, the guy cutting my lawn is not obviously less intelligent or less capable than my client who manages a multi-billion dollar enterprise.

Common.  When you hyperbole like that you lose all credibility in your arguments

Paris said:
My husband has teams in India working for him and they are some of the hardest working people - so humble and yet intelligent, hard working, so productive. No wonder corporate America outsources their jobs. They get triple the work done for one tenth of the pay.

Code for Management pocketing moola with cheap labor and oppressed rights?

In my humble opinion if your small business is providing supplies to locals then you should pay local wages. 

Irvine Dream said:
Happiness said:
What I have found is that most people are very similar.  In other words, the guy cutting my lawn is not obviously less intelligent or less capable than my client who manages a multi-billion dollar enterprise.

Common.  When you hyperbole like that you lose all credibility in your arguments
Yes, some hyperbole, but I have in fact wondered to myself why my gardener is not practicing medicine or designing spaceships and how intelligent people can trust the high level administrator with managing so much money.  If their roles were reversed, I doubt my grass would be any greener or the large enterprise would have any better performance.

Happiness said:
Irvine Dream said:
Happiness said:

Yes, some hyperbole, but I have in fact wondered to myself why my gardener is not practicing medicine or designing spaceships and how intelligent people can trust the high level administrator with managing so much money.  If their roles were reversed, I doubt my grass would be any greener or the large enterprise would have any better performance.

The other thing is that people have different talents.  As a society we treasure intelligence and certain skill set but not everyone is cut out to be a brain surgeon. 

It's interesting to me that people who advocated pulling oneself up by the bootstrap then assume that those who don't achieve the same level of successful simply don't have the desire or mental fortitude. 

Irvine Dream said:
Paris said:
My husband has teams in India working for him and they are some of the hardest working people - so humble and yet intelligent, hard working, so productive. No wonder corporate America outsources their jobs. They get triple the work done for one tenth of the pay.

In my humble opinion if your small business is providing supplies to locals then you should pay local wages.

It's also human nature that you will work for next to nothing if you have nothing.  Again, Chinese factor workers endured extreme conditions and low pay because they had to.  Now that the standard of living is a little higher, people no longer wish to do that. 

People are people, regardless of nationality or location.

Irvine Dream said:
Paris said:

What's wrong with outsourcing, oppressed rights? No one has a stick at a call center and forcing them to work.

eyephone said:
Irvine Dream said:
Paris said:

What's wrong with outsourcing, oppressed rights? No one has a stick at a call center and forcing them to work.

It's interesting that Paris has more compassion for random dogs in China than for the Indians toiling in her husband's sweatshop.

All US cruise ships fly foreign flags and therefore are not subject to US laws like the Federal minimum wage. The cruise lines pay most of their crewmembers much less than the US minimum wage.  Critics say the cruise lines are exploiting their employees and they should be paid US wages since they are working for US companies.  The cruise lines say they are helping their employees because they are paid more than they would be in their home countries.

Are you willing to pay more for a cruise so that the crew gets US wages even if the sub-minimimum wage they get now is a lot more than they could be making back home?

Back