Minimum Wage Increase Impact/Effect

nosuchreality said:
LOL, are you trying to make my point for me?  You claiming the exploitation of illegal labor is really working out as a benefit to society?
That's not what I'm saying and I think you know that.

Cali's economic well-being is dependent on the low-wage (what you call "illegal labor") workforce. If you forcibly remove that (like build walls), that would hurt more than Toyota moving to Texas.

Low wages isn't really meant for a family man trying to pay for housing and food, it's for part-timers, teens who live at home, workers without proper qualification but can support themselves by other means. As someone alluded to earlier, there are plenty of jobs our there that are not worth $15/hr and to force companies to pay that rate has little to do with code and safety enforcement.

eyephone said:
Paris said:
eyephone said:
This law will force business not to hire or lay off. I predict under the table workers will surge under this law.

I agree. And this is just one way for small business to simply survive. They will in addition cut down on the work force, figure out ways to automate, increase expenses for customers and in some businesses due to these measures the quality of service may also suffer. I agree that the minimum wage needs to increase from current levels but you cannot just increase it by 50% rapidly over just a few years and not expect businesses to take drastic measures to survive it. And ultimately for those minimum wage workers they will find the "value" of their dollar is almost the same as it currently is simply due to the increased living expenses they will face.

Also, the workers will have more responsibilities/be expected to do multiple things.

See, most workers would be okay with that if you paid them a good wage.  Many minimum workers have to work two or three jobs to make ends meet...this means a tired worker who is extremely inefficient.  Much better to have that worker have one good paying good and take pride in their work.

Paris said:
eyephone said:
This law will force business not to hire or lay off. I predict under the table workers will surge under this law.

I agree. And this is just one way for small business to simply survive. They will in addition cut down on the work force, figure out ways to automate, increase expenses for customers and in some businesses due to these measures the quality of service may also suffer. I agree that the minimum wage needs to increase from current levels but you cannot just increase it by 50% rapidly over just a few years and not expect businesses to take drastic measures to survive it. And ultimately for those minimum wage workers they will find the "value" of their dollar is almost the same as it currently is simply due to the increased living expenses they will face.

Workforce is already getting cut down and automation already in play.  You make it sound like business don't try and cut labor costs regardless of the minimum wage.  Manufacturing has been returning to the US except now it takes one person and 100 robots to do the job of 100 people. 

We have tried "trickle down" economics for years...rewarding those at the top in the hope that they create more jobs...instead you just have higher profits, stagnant wage growth, and dissatisfied workers.  Why don't we try pushing from the other end for a change?

Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:
Paris said:
eyephone said:

Also, the workers will have more responsibilities/be expected to do multiple things.

See, most workers would be okay with that if you paid them a good wage.  Many minimum workers have to work two or three jobs to make ends meet...this means a tired worker who is extremely inefficient.  Much better to have that worker have one good paying good and take pride in their work.

You want to know why they have several jobs? Obamacare

eyephone said:
Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:
Paris said:
eyephone said:

Companies are hiring part time employees that only work 29 hours a week, to avoid paying health insurance.

eyephone said:
Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:
Paris said:
eyephone said:

Seriously?  You think that employers just realized that they can limit workers to hours so that they full just short of full-time?  Employers are not the saints that you seem to think they are.

You also know that employers with fewer than 50 employees are exempt from the mandate right?

Also...not reality:
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/01/05/obamacare-had-little-effect-on-part-time-employment-study.html
http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/25/news/economy/obamacare-employees-hours/

qwerty I'm not saying everyone has to make it to the "top" and become millionaires. "The top" is not management at fast food or Petco but those positions also pay beyond minimum wage and the person that gets there works hard to get that position. And I don't think every company should get tax incentives but rather to companies that provide opportunities for people to excel in the work force. like companies that encourage acquiring a skill set through school while working or companies that provide opportunities for growth within their labor force. That encourages companies to provide these opportunities and then in turn elevates the quality of their work force.

Trust me we have a good number of minimum wage employees and a majority of them are entitled, lazy, call off "sick" at a drop of a hat and find anyway to go on disability. let's keep it real. These people are not these hard working wonderful citizens that everyone is painting them to be. And I find it very hard to believe that it is "rare" to make it in this country. Because my entire family comes from immigrant parents who came to this country with language barriers, nothing in their pockets but a hard working mentality. And in this country (because we are so blessed to be a part of the United States and in most countries in this world it would be a uphill battle to say the least) you can work beyond the minimum wage range and make a decent living for yourself. But you have to be willing to try. Many of my minimum wage workers have every opportunity and don't ever demonstrate responsibility to try (and again not saying all but the ones that show promise we reward by moving them up, paying them much more and providing them with better benefits). I'm not saying everyone needs to work up to millionaire status. But with some effort I think everyone has the opportunity to at least make it to a middle class level (which is very much beyond minimum wage).

Paris said:
qwerty I'm not saying everyone has to make it to the "top" and become millionaires. "The top" is not management at fast food or Petco but those positions also pay beyond minimum wage and the person that gets there works hard to get that position. And I don't think every company should get tax incentives but rather to companies that provide opportunities for people to excel in the work force. like companies that encourage acquiring a skill set through school while working or companies that provide opportunities for growth within their labor force. That encourages companies to provide these opportunities and then in turn elevates the quality of their work force.

Trust me we have a good number of minimum wage employees and a majority of them are entitled, lazy, call off "sick" at a drop of a hat and find anyway to go on disability. let's keep it real. These people are not these hard working wonderful citizens that everyone is painting them to be. And I find it very hard to believe that it is "rare" to make it in this country. Because my entire family comes from immigrant parents who came to this country with language barriers, nothing in their pockets but a hard working mentality. And in this country (because we are so blessed to be a part of the United States and in most countries in this world it would be a uphill battle to say the least) you can work beyond the minimum wage range and make a decent living for yourself. But you have to be willing to try. Many of my minimum wage workers have every opportunity and don't ever demonstrate responsibility to try (and again not saying all but the ones that show promise we reward by moving them up, paying them much more and providing them with better benefits). I'm not saying everyone needs to work up to millionaire status. But with some effort I think everyone has the opportunity to at least make it to a middle class level (which is very much beyond minimum wage).

Paris, why would they want to try for a job that doesn't pay them enough?  There are plenty of studies that show paying your workers a higher wages result in higher job satisfaction, significantly less turnover, and increased productivity. 

Plenty of companies have high wages relative to their peers have done quite well:  Costco, Trader Joes, In-n-out...

I find it that most min. wage workers just work to get by.

Look at India, people get paid 295 dollars a month and work their asses off. I just came from Taiwan and the average wage per month is 700 usd and they work 10-12 hours a day.

People in the US complain about wage inequality, get your butt to school and specialize something. Stop whining and bitching all the time.

Etinchen said:

Look at India, people get paid 295 dollars a month and work their asses off. I just came from Taiwan and the average wage per month is 700 usd a month and they work 10-12 hours a day.

People in the US complain about wage equality, get your butt to school and specialize something. Stop whining and bitching all the time.

+1

Personally, I believe the government is harming the very citizens it is trying to help. That's why the wage is constantly increasing because the government is trying to maintain the pace of increasing prices, which will never happen because of inflation.

The only government subsidy in terms of wages I would support is the EITC (earned income tax credit). This is offered at the federal level, but I would offer it at the county level since the cost of living varies so much throughout CA counties. This benefit is only given when taxes are filed.

Finally, the minimum wage increases are being treated like living wages, which are two very different things. We need to think for a while at the harm these changes will have on the fixed incomes of seniors whose cost of care, think caregivers and assisted living, is quickly becoming unaffordable.

Is it too late for me to be a write-in candidate!?

Etinchen said:

Look at India, people get paid 295 dollars a month and work their asses off. I just came from Taiwan and the average wage per month is 700 usd a month and they work 10-12 hours a day.

People in the US complain about wage equality, get your butt to school and specialize something. Stop whining and bitching all the time.

I don't know about India but your story about Taiwan is way off.  I just visited Taiwan 6 months ago and all the lower end/minimum wages job are totally unfilled.  There is currently a big discussion about how this current generation of Taiwanese don't want to do minimum wage jobs because they find it pay too little and too hard.

Taiwan has its own "immigrant" controversy with companies hiring SE Asians to do construction jobs.  Some Taiwanese claim that the companies are uncutting Taiwanese workers but most of the companies just say that there are not enough Taiwanese who want to do the job.

This is not an "American are lazy" issue...wages go up when standard of living goes up.  China is facing similar issues as its factory workers are refusing to take the low wages and harsh conditions.  So, those jobs are now going to Vietnam and Bangladesh.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/china-increases-minimum-wage-rates/
http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/28/asia/china-strike-worker-protest-trade-union/

So..your solution is that everyone just become the top of the food chain...who is going to be on the bottom?  Are those jobs going to done magically?  Or do you expect those people to just live in poverty because "they're lazy".

Kangen.Irvine said:
Personally, I believe the government is harming the very citizens it is trying to help. That's why the wage is constantly increasing because the government is trying to maintain the pace of increasing prices, which will never happen because of inflation.

The only government subsidy in terms of wages I would support is the EITC (earned income tax credit). This is offered at the federal level, but I would offer it at the county level since the cost of living varies so much throughout CA counties. This benefit is only given when taxes are filed.

Finally, the minimum wage increases are being treated like living wages, which are two very different things. We need to think for a while at the harm these changes will have on the fixed incomes of seniors whose cost of care, think caregivers and assisted living, is quickly becoming unaffordable.

Is it too late for me to be a write-in candidate!?

There is literally a thing that keeps with inflation...it's called a COLA increase.  Most people get one...except low wage workers.

eyephone said:
Etinchen said:

+1
Sorry eyephone...accidental thank you button hit.  I could not disagree with the statement more

yeah, you went to Taiwan 6 mos ago.  ( 6 months ago)

I'm from Taiwan. I know my stuff, not from what you see on forbes or online. The unemployment rate for college graduates from ages 24  is about 25 percent. This would be called a GREAT DEPRESSION IN THE UNITED STATES. People with only a high school background work 3 jobs or called GIGS.  There are not enough jobs to go around, even older taiwan mamas want to be house servants ( cleaning, taking care of old people etc) because they CANNOT FIND A JOB.

The US is very LAZY, I've been working retail from 15 till college and I've met a handful of co-workers in the retail space WHO JUST WANTED TO GET BY.

I worked my way through college on a full scholarship and  my position is VP at one of the largest financial firms in the SP500. My college is in the top 30 globally. I didn't have a rich family, I worked retail during school hours, and MOST IMPORTANTLY I NEVER COMPLAINED ABOUT MY SHITTY 6.50 AN HOUR PAY.

Etinchen said:
yeah, you went to Taiwan 6 mos ago.  ( 6 months ago)

I'm from Taiwan. I know my stuff, not from what you see on forbes or online. The unemployment rate for college graduates from ages 24  is about 25 percent. This would be called a GREAT DEPRESSION IN THE UNITED STATES. People with only a high school background work 3 jobs or called GIGS.  There are not enough jobs to go around, even older taiwan mamas want to be house servants ( cleaning, taking care of old people etc) because they CANNOT FIND A JOB.

The US is very LAZY, I've been working retail from 15 till college and I've met a handful of co-workers in the retail space WHO JUST WANTED TO GET BY.

I worked my way through college on a full scholarship and  my position is VP at one of the largest financial firms in the SP500. My college is in the top 30 globally. I didn't have a rich family, I worked retail during school hours, and MOST IMPORTANTLY I NEVER COMPLAINED ABOUT MY SHITTY 6.50 AN HOUR PAY.

I am very impressed by your resume but I also graduate at a top 25 university and a top 20 law school.  None of those things however, change fundamental facts.

First of all, I have no idea where you are pulling your numbers from.  Taiwan's unemployment rate is just below 4 percent and college graduates are at 4.9 percent. 
http://focustaiwan.tw/news/aeco/201603220006.aspx

Second, Americans work more hours, take less vacation time, and retire later than any other people.  Blame it on America being settled by Protestants.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=93364

Additionally, you didn't complain about your $6.50 job because that wasn't your career.  You were just passing through.  I hate this argument that somehow people who work for less money are somehow lazier or stupider.  You work three jobs and see how excited and perky you are. 

I have been very fortunate in my life to be where I am.  I was blessed with good parents who raised me well and in a good environment.  I never had to worry about being hungry or getting shot growing up.  I never worked as hard as I probably should have and I certainly don't work nearly as hard as most minimum wage workers I meet. 

I don't have to worry about getting sick and missing work cuz I get sick days.  I don't have to worry about my kids getting sick because I can take days off.  If I get hurt, I just go to the doctor/hospital because I have insurance and have the money to pay off medical bill.  I have a car that I can jump into at all times of the day and go whereever I want.  I have enough money to pay for people to look after my children while I work.  Many people in this country have none of those things.  People work hard...just because they don't make nearly as much as you do does not make them lazy or dumb.  They just weren't as lucky as others.

qwerty said:
eyephone said:
qwerty said:
So all business owners think they are entitled to tax incentives that the rest of have to subsidize. Nice.

Paris - I think your view is well intentioned but just not practical. Every company/society is set up like a pyramid with the low level employees at the bottom and the most valuable towards the top. What you are proposing is inverting the pyramid which will never happen. You can't get 100% of the people at the bottom to work their way to the top. I used to have that mentality (since I made it, every one else can) but those cases are generally exceptions.

This law will do more harm then good. People will loose jobs and you can thank your California legislator. Technology and outsourcing of jobs will be the answer.

I'm not arguing for/against the law. Just the thought that everyone can reach the top with hard work. 95% of the population is stupid and regardless of hard work they won't make it to the top.

Are you sure? The prices at Taco Bell most likely go up.
(Pick a side)  :)

Etinchen said:

Look at India, people get paid 295 dollars a month and work their asses off. I just came from Taiwan and the average wage per month is 700 usd and they work 10-12 hours a day.

People in the US complain about wage inequality, get your butt to school and specialize something. Stop whining and bitching all the time.

Also..your reference to minimum wages across the globe is puzzling.  Different countries have completely different cost of living and standard of living.

UK has a minimum wage equivalent to $11.02, Germany is at $11.02, France $12.83...are the people in those countries lazy and entitled? 

Minimum wage in Afghanistan is $0.50 and Angola is at $0.95...are the people there just wanted it "that much more" than the rest of the world?

Finally, Taiwan is facing an exodus of young worker not because there are not enough jobs...it is because the jobs don't pay well enough.  They rather go overseas to get higher paying positions.
http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/business/2014/07/03/411508/Chinas-wage.htm
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/more-young-taiwanese-seek/1899216.html

Yes, you come from a good background. So the stuff you preach are skewd.

I didn't say anything about being dumb. I meant lazy to the fact that most people just wanted to get by.

Image your parents didn't pay for your college. Image you had to work since you were a wee teenager. Would you still be accomplished? Or will you just be a high school drop out and live the rest of the days in your comfort zone at your dead end job. Millions of people hate their dead end job however cannot break that bubble to improve themselves. Would you call that stupidity? No, the fact is they simplify do nothing.

Oh course they would hold banners and protest 15 dollars per hour, equal and fair wages.

3 job rule

1st primary job

2nd Uber or Lyft driver on week nights and weekends

3rd Airbnb your unit while you sleep in the garage with a portable heater.

I could held protest and banners, however I make more money my way.

Back