Minimum Wage Increase Impact/Effect

Rent aint cheap in Irvine. If the soup is pricey don't go.
Me personally I wouldn't pay $20 for a soup.

momopi said:
Minimum wage hasn't gone up to $15/hr yet and Shinsengumi in Irvine is already charging $20 for udon.

I am now buying ready and frozen meals from Trader Joes.  $_$

Back in late 80's I was pushing shopping carts at $3.25 or $3.35/hr.  Community college was $5/unit.

Today minim wage is going to $12/hr next week, and community college charges $46/unit.

People say "minimum wage workers should go to community college and learn a skill".  OK, make community college job training programs more affordable please.  ;p

You pay more for soup in Irvine because Donald Bren doesn't have enough billions. It has very little to do with wages or else the Costco prices in Irvine would be the same as the ones in Fountain Valley and Huntington Beach.

Out of State residents pay $190-$268/unit for community college.

From investment perspective, wouldn't it be better for the government to invest in low cost or free job training programs with local community college, so they can get a better return in income taxes when people (hopefully) are trained/re-trained for better paying jobs?

Or maybe they think too many trained workers in specific fields would depress wages?

Well after they moved from totally free (except $5 health fee which allowed u to go see a doc at the student clinic) they charged those with a bachelor's degree a fee and kept those without a degree free with the thought being those who have a bachelor's have had their education so they should pay.

When we had student loans the rule was if you were in school at least half time u got to defer the loan. We didn't have the money to pay it back so we took classes at the community college after we got out of school. Worked out till one of us had to have surgery and had to drop out.

Weird thing was interest rates were sky high then but student loan interest was only 3%.

My own opinion is we should invest in higher education rather than lawyers trying to keep undocumented people here (who even qualify for in state tuition). Kids of today are the ones who take care of the oldsters of tomorrow.

momopi said:
From investment perspective, wouldn't it be better for the government to invest in low cost or free job training programs with local community college, so they can get a better return in income taxes when people (hopefully) are trained/re-trained for better paying jobs?

The GI Bill (of 1944) was the most expensive yet profitable social welfare program ever by the US govt. Giving millions of US servicemen free college educations was horrendously expensive but it was crucial to the US dominating the world economy and becoming the technology leader from the 1960s to the 1980s and beyond. The US lifestyle of mass homeownership, mass car ownership, freeways, automation, etc, was to a large degree a result of the millions of WWII vets who joined the middle class in the 1950s and 1960s as a result of the GI Bill.

If we expect laid off workers to obtain job training from local community colleges, it's counter productive to charge extra fees for those who already have a BA degree.  I learned COBOL and FORTRAN back in college and they're fairly useless in the job field today.  Same with operating UNIVAC-Sperry, OS/2, RS/6000, AIX, video editing/overlay with GENLOCK, etc.

momopi said:
If we expect laid off workers to obtain job training from local community colleges, it's counter productive to charge extra fees for those who already have a BA degree.  I learned COBOL and FORTRAN back in college and they're fairly useless in the job field today.  Same with operating UNIVAC-Sperry, OS/2, RS/6000, AIX, video editing/overlay with GENLOCK, etc.

How about making California competitive by decreasing the state income tax? So companies won't leave California and layoff.

Specific to Southern California, the most pressing issue should be food and water security.  We should be investing a lot more money in water reclamation, water recycling, and farmland management.

For now we are limping along stealing water from other people's backyards.  Sooner or later they will wise up and cut the pipe, breaking into additional state(s) if necessary.  Go fly fishing up north and count the bullet holes on LADWP signs.

momopi said:

Unfortunately about the only things that are going to survive the automation bomb of the next decade are things like nursing, hospice care, etc  Things you need a passion and personality for.  All those white collar jobs you're pushing your high school kid to educate for will be prime reaping block material by the time they graduate.  Yes, even software development

All that "knowledge work" is really formulaic application of existing rules and very little is creation of new and original.  Watson will do the formulaic application really fast, really well and doesn't want time off or sleep.  So your kids today will be fighting to get one of the 1 in 20 positions today that really design the work for the others.

There's a disruption coming and it makes Winter look trite.

nosuchreality said:
momopi said:

Unfortunately about the only things that are going to survive the automation bomb of the next decade are things like nursing, hospice care, etc  Things you need a passion and personality for.  All those white collar jobs you're pushing your high school kid to educate for will be prime reaping block material by the time they graduate.  Yes, even software development

All that "knowledge work" is really formulaic application of existing rules and very little is creation of new and original.  Watson will do the formulaic application really fast, really well and doesn't want time off or sleep.  So your kids today will be fighting to get one of the 1 in 20 positions today that really design the work for the others.

In an economy where there are only service oriented jobs, there's nobody left to pay for them. Cue in universal basic income.

Loco_local said:
You pay more for soup in Irvine because Donald Bren doesn't have enough billions. It has very little to do with wages or else the Costco prices in Irvine would be the same as the ones in Fountain Valley and Huntington Beach.

Wait what? I didn't know this! Is the price difference large? I'm going to FV on my next Costco run.

Paris said:
Loco_local said:

Wait what? I didn't know this! Is the price difference large? I'm going to FV on my next Costco run.

You probably don't have to go that far.  I noticed the Tustin Costco by the Auto Center has lower prices than Irvine Costco.  Noticed LED lights were lower, box of granola bars, and this waterproof blanket (same one).

Don't know if this was coincidence but about 5 of the 10 items I bought recently was lower there.  Saw this while walking around the store killing time while my oil change was happening at the auto center.

aquabliss said:
Paris said:
Loco_local said:

You probably don't have to go that far.  I noticed the Tustin Costco by the Auto Center has lower prices than Irvine Costco.  Noticed LED lights were lower, box of granola bars, and this waterproof blanket (same one).

Don't know if this was coincidence but about 5 of the 10 items I bought recently was lower there.  Saw this while walking around the store killing time while my oil change was happening at the auto center.

Thanks. That's usually the Costco we go to since it's closer to OH. But I never realized there was such a price difference within the county for Costco. Learn something new everyday! Thanks TI

Paris said:
aquabliss said:
Paris said:
Loco_local said:

Thanks. That's usually the Costco we go to since it's closer to OH. But I never realized there was such a price difference within the county for Costco. Learn something new everyday! Thanks TI

Maybe that is why the Tustin Costco is the busiest in the county (my hubby got all the marketing data from the costcos including number of customers and sales from the data marketing company he worked at).

Costco gas is way cheaper in the north county, not sure about the items in the stores.

A lot of chain stores have different pricing in Irvine. Wags, CVS both are more expensive in certain locations. The only way I buy stuff at the OH CVS is if it's an item on sale in the flyer for x amt (not percent off because their prices are higher than the CVS at Irvine/Culver).

Never looked at Pavilions vs others Vons when there were more Vons because for one thing its a different "brand" and I didn't really like Vons when they were around so I tended to avoid them and if there was some awesome deal I would go to Pavilions.

Friend says prices are cheaper at Laguna Beach Pavillions than Newport Coas (Irvine Company land). I can't verify because I only buy the Just For You items at Vons/Pavillions and those prices are the same at all So Cal stores.

1 whole brisket at Corona Costco costs $3.75/LB
1 whole brisket at Tustin Costco costs $2.99/LB

I saw this back in March.  I dunno why.

peppy said:
nosuchreality said:
momopi said:

In an economy where there are only service oriented jobs, there's nobody left to pay for them. Cue in universal basic income.

IMO universal basic income will be an inevitable outcome, but between now and then there will be mass disruptions from job loss to automation/AI and its resulting socioeconomic upheaval.  I think violent revolutions in urban areas are unlikely but possible, killing as many as 1 in 3 people (mostly from disruptions in delivery of basic necessities).

I'll be visiting central CA this weekend to look for more rural properties as a back-up.  Eventually I may look out of state or even out of country as well.

momopi said:
peppy said:
nosuchreality said:
momopi said:

IMO universal basic income will be an inevitable outcome, but between now and then there will be mass disruptions from job loss to automation/AI and its resulting socioeconomic upheaval.  I think violent revolutions in urban areas are unlikely but possible, killing as many as 1 in 3 people (mostly from disruptions in delivery of basic necessities).

I'll be visiting central CA this weekend to look for more rural properties as a back-up.  Eventually I may look out of state or even out of country as well.

When it finally goes down, I'll be heading down to central CA to look for momopi's farm/compound.

momopi said:
peppy said:
nosuchreality said:
momopi said:

Momopi - What's your thoughts on solar power generators? (Around $300 plus) If anything goes down, maybe this is the way to go versus the traditional gas generator.

Back