Looking for new communities in the $500-$600k range

Reading this thread makes me so glad I bought when I did. Back then you got 2,000 sqft detached homes in this price range.

best_potsticker_in_town said:
ArchPhotog said:
Been looking around for new homes in this price range, they're pretty hard to find! Looks like Sterling will be coming online sometime soon, but who knows how those will actually be priced...

You should jump on this one:https://www.redfin.com/CA/Lake-Forest/104-Wild-Rose-92630/home/102066960

Yes, it's Lake Forest and house number ends in a '4'. But, it's in a good area, still brand new, and you're not paying mello-roos.

Wow, I sold the same Brookland Plan 1 floor plan for $516k and $518k back in the middle of 2016.  A 6-7% ncrease would be huge for 6 months and with higher interest rates. 

USCTrojanCPA said:
ArchPhotog said:
Been looking around for new homes in this price range, they're pretty hard to find! Looks like Sterling will be coming online sometime soon, but who knows how those will actually be priced...

You should jump on this one:https://www.redfin.com/CA/Lake-Forest/104-Wild-Rose-92630/home/102066960

Yes, it's Lake Forest and house number ends in a '4'. But, it's in a good area, still brand new, and you're not paying mello-roos.

Wow, I sold the same Brookland Plan 1 floor plan for $516k and $518k back in the middle of 2016.  A 6-7% ncrease would be huge for 6 months and with higher interest rates.

+1 for $500-$600k Baker Ranch is probably the best fit with no Mello and new
Or you can find a Caserta resale in Cypress village within that range, but 1.8% tax is pretty killer (ask me why I know)..
Also if you go further down in south OC, maybe Rancho Mission Viejo might fit the bill
Or resale but isn't too old, probably lake forest/RSM/Mission Viejo

SoclosetoIrvine said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
ArchPhotog said:

+1 for $500-$600k Baker Ranch is probably the best fit with no Mello and new
Or you can find a Caserta resale in Cypress village within that range, but 1.8% tax is pretty killer (ask me why I know)..
Also if you go further down in south OC, maybe Rancho Mission Viejo might fit the bill
Or resale but isn't too old, probably lake forest/RSM/Mission Viejo

Doesn't RMV have just as high MR?

That Baker Ranch product does look really nice.

The hard part for me personally is my work is based around Downtown LA, and that's even further south than Irvine. Why don't I buy nearer to LA you ask? I hate it up there.

ArchPhotog said:
That Baker Ranch product does look really nice.

The hard part for me personally is my work is based around Downtown LA, and that's even further south than Irvine. Why don't I buy nearer to LA you ask? I hate it up there.
Have you consider la crescenta?

I'm right there with you. I work in LA and no way am I buying up here. Maybe I should consider Irvine...

Lallo said:
I'm right there with you. I work in LA and no way am I buying up here. Maybe I should consider Irvine...

Seriously. Theres a lot of development going on, but LA still has all sorts of 3rd-world pockets. I believe as President Trump comes to power that will force illegals living throughout the country to flee to sanctuary states/cities. That will make Santa Ana & all of LA even worse than they are now.

La Crescenta is nice! Though maybe a little old feeling for me. I have family in Irvine which helps, and I grew up there in the early 90's. Those were the days.

To get back on topic, it looks like our only sub-$600 new homes are:

Great Park
--Sterling - high $500's (models coming end of month, taxes+HOA will put you in an insane price bracket)

Eastwood Village
-- Avalon - low $500's

Cypress Village
-- Lantana - low $500's (is this still selling? This is the only product I haven't seen in person)

Portola Springs
-- The Vine - low $500's
-- Indigo - low $500's
-- Willow - low $500's

Am I missing anything?

The used product on the market right now is crap. Lots of hideous dated town homes with no curb appeal whatsoever.

ArchPhotog said:
Lallo said:

Seriously. Theres a lot of development going on, but LA still has all sorts of 3rd-world pockets. I believe as President Trump comes to power that will force illegals living throughout the country to flee to sanctuary states/cities. That will make Santa Ana & all of LA even worse than they are now.

La Crescenta is nice! Though maybe a little old feeling for me. I have family in Irvine which helps, and I grew up there in the early 90's. Those were the days.

Great Park
--Sterling - high $500's (models coming end of month, taxes+HOA will put you in an insane price bracket)

Eastwood Village
-- Avalon - low $500's

Cypress Village
-- Lantana - low $500's (is this still selling? This is the only product I haven't seen in person)

Portola Springs
-- The Vine - low $500's
-- Indigo - low $500's
-- Willow - low $500's

Am I missing anything?

The used product on the market right now is crap. Lots of hideous dated town homes with no curb appeal whatsoever.

I own a condo in Willow and sorry to new buyers, but everything in there has been pre-sold out, the handy-men told me a few months ago how chinese investors scooped 3 condos in cash with closing over an IPad in 3 days. Apart from that, the regular buyers have bought it all out due to lower interest rates earlier, and would you believe - a made up 8k discount by the sales office lol.

I was really hip on Willow until I realized the major neighborhood design flaw. Not only is it on the toll road which roars quite a bit, the neighborhood street layout is totally flawed.

You can't entire it from Irvine Blvd in any way. You need to go all the way up Sand Canyon to Portola and wrap back around. Then getting out of the neighborhood you can't turn back left onto Portola. Its kind of unbelievable they build it that way. If Native Spring connected to Irvine Blvd it would be a much more desirable neighborhood.

ArchPhotog said:
Lallo said:

Great Park

Eastwood Village
-- Avalon - low $500's

Cypress Village

Portola Springs
-- The Vine - low $500's
-- Indigo - low $500's
-- Willow - low $500's

Am I missing anything?

Lantana is selling. They opened in August 2016. You can get 3 beds for low 600's there, but it's tri-level.

ArchPhotog said:
I was really hip on Willow until I realized the major neighborhood design flaw. Not only is it on the toll road which roars quite a bit, the neighborhood street layout is totally flawed.

You can't entire it from Irvine Blvd in any way. You need to go all the way up Sand Canyon to Portola and wrap back around. Then getting out of the neighborhood you can't turn back left onto Portola. Its kind of unbelievable they build it that way. If Native Spring connected to Irvine Blvd it would be a much more desirable neighborhood.

Yup. Would annoy me a lot if I lived there.

paperboyNC said:
ArchPhotog said:

Heres an image of the silly street layout for those who don't know.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 1.22.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 1.22.07 PM.png
    692.6 KB · Views: 184
ArchPhotog said:

That would be a major hassle. I wonder if it cuts down on through traffic at all designing it that way, if it's not gated? I mean if it cuts down on through traffic that would be one benefit (ie. speeding traffic, kids playing outside in the street, car noise, etc.). But maybe not enough of a benefit that it outweighs driving all the way past Irvine Blvd to Portola, then circling back.

ArchPhotog said:
paperboyNC said:
ArchPhotog said:

Heres an image of the silly street layout for those who don't know.

Looks like those are the homes between Hawthorn and the Toll Road. If they were to extend that street out to Irvine Blvd, looks like it could be an issue with people crossing over the lane that gets onto the Toll Road. Reminds me of having to go out the Tustin Market place and wait at the signal to turn right onto Jamboree....... very annoying but I suppose maybe a safety issue with the I-5 entrance just past the Marketplace.

ArchPhotog said:

I live in Willow and to be honest I think it's a good thing that Native Spring doesn't connect with Irvine Blvd. The amount of traffic we would get from the PS on the other side of Portola Pkwy to get to Irvine Blvd would be very high.

It can look like a hassle but I used to rent a detached condo in Woodbury (just next to the one bedroom USCTrojan sold no so long ago) and getting out of there to get to Jeffrey was taking a similar amount of time.

marmott said:
ArchPhotog said:

I live in Willow and to be honest I think it's a good thing that Native Spring doesn't connect with Irvine Blvd. The amount of traffic we would get from the PS on the other side of Portola Pkwy to get to Irvine Blvd would be very high.

It can look like a hassle but I used to rent a detached condo in Woodbury (just next to the one bedroom USCTrojan sold no so long ago) and getting out of there to get to Jeffrey was taking a similar amount of time.

Just what I was thinking. I bet it was deliberate to plan the street grid like that. You don't want all that cut through traffic on a residential street. Otherwise, you end up getting a situation like all those houses lining Irvine Blvd in Tustin, between Irvine and the 55. So many people use it as an alternate route to avoid I-5 North.

Back