Looking for new communities in the $500-$600k range

BangBros said:
What's to stop a sales office from just faking it and creating hype about a waiting list but there really isn't any buyers?

"Oh, we got 400 people on the list so put you're name down and we'll call you later." 

When they call you 3 weeks later, they have one option for you and if you don't take it, they'll make you wait another 3-4 weeks.  Then they keep calling other people on the list hyping it up and telling you that you better take it or else, you'll have nothing to buy.

Very good point. We wish there was more clarity in the waiting list process. It would be a lot easier to move on to a different builder if we knew we had no chance or if the price would not be worth it but we understand why it is done this way. With that being said, we are keeping an open mind on our needs/wants in a home.

pjs4x4 said:
I am looking for new communities or communities that are planning to be built in the $500-$600k range. I have checked out The Vine at Portola Springs and the plan that we like has a waiting list. I have checked out Willow but the 3-story set up does not work for us. I have also checked out Avalon but there is also a waiting list for the plan that we like. We would like either a 1-story or 2-story with a bedroom on the 1st floor. We are looking for a 2 bedroom 2 bath with a 2 car (side by side but can do tandem.

Am I missing any other communities in Irvine? Is anyone aware of other communities that we will built that will be built in that range?

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Oh wow i was in your shoes last year at the same time and ended up buying the 3 story willow, how much are they asking now to sell a 1600 sq ft attached condo?

Oh wow i was in your shoes last year at the same time and ended up buying the 3 story willow, how much are they asking now to sell a 1600 sq ft attached condo?
[/quote]

~$620k for a 2 bedroom 2 bath attached condo with living space on 2nd floor but I can't justify that price when Brio is 3 bedroom/2 bath at around ~$630k.

How do you like Willow? I checked it out quickly but it was a non-starter since we could not do a tri-level. Are the units selling well or is there some lag between phases? Or is the builder offering incentives to move units? Any idea what phase they are currently on and how many phases total?
Sorry to all the questions but I am a very curious.

pjs4x4 said:

~$620k for a 2 bedroom 2 bath attached condo with living space on 2nd floor but I can't justify that price when Brio is 3 bedroom/2 bath at around ~$630k.

How do you like Willow? I checked it out quickly but it was a non-starter since we could not do a tri-level. Are the units selling well or is there some lag between phases? Or is the builder offering incentives to move units? Any idea what phase they are currently on and how many phases total?
[/quote]

Hi,
I looked at the willow plans online - the 1600 sq ft said mid 500's online but you mentioned it was 620k. Are all the prices listed before all the upgrades are added? Also so you remember the HOA dues and the Mello roos tax rate?
Thank you for your help!

pjs4x4 said:
Thank you everyone for the info and advice.  We went back today and checked out several models today including Avalon, The Vine, Brio, Indigo, Lantana, and also went the meet the builder event at Parasol Park.

Here are some quick and dirty notes:

Avalon: Good entry level price for the Plan 1. We pre-qualified but waiting list is quite long although they would not tell us how many people are in line which we thought was weird/fishy. Some things that we did not like are the tandem garage, stackable washer/dryer, and no kitchen island. I went to the upstairs floor plan and stomped as hard as I could but my wife said the noise was not too bad and could be heard mostly in the garage area of plan 1.

Brio: Plan 1 price is above the $600k limit at $630k+ but had a good layout, I like that it had 3 bedrooms or 2 bedrooms + den option. All the living space was on 1 floor and we liked the outside patio. We did not test the noise from upstairs but they had an overlay of plan 2 over plan 1 and we were told that most of the upstairs living space is above the garage areas, however we did not confirm.

Indigo: Plan 2 would be our main choice but is way above our budget at $650k+. It has 1 bedroom downstairs and a bathroom which would be one of main requirements. We liked that the downstairs bathroom had a seat/ledge and also liked the patio with storage room.

Lantana: Plan 1x would be the best bet for us since there is a bedroom and bathroom on the first floor. However, we did not like that the living room/dining room/kitchen on the second floor felt a little small. Finally, the master and other bedroom on the 3rd floor were okay but we felt like it was a workout getting from floor to floor. I think we ruled out a tri-level just due to convenience and  marketability later on if we decide to sell/rent.

The Vine: Wife seems to think that I compare all the models we see to either Plan 2 or Plan 3 at the Vine. The Plan 3 is $590k+ and is a 2 bedroom and 2 bath. We like that the garage has a small workshop area and that the washer/dryer are side-by-side. In addition, the garage is 2 car side-by-side. The kitchen has an island and all the living space is all on 1 floor. We did not test the noise from upstairs neighbors but the ceilings on the plan 3 seemed pretty high. At either $590k for the plan 3 or $540k for the plan 2, are there better options than these plans for the price? Maybe I have tunnel vision but wanted to get everyone's opinion on if I am missing something.

Community: We liked Eastwood Village and Portola Springs. However, for some reason, Cypress Village did not stand out to us.

Meet the Builder Event: Sorry for the weak review but we felt that Parasol Park would probably be out of our price range and felt that the outside designs of all the builders were bland, boxy, and boring. The event was pretty nice. There was free coffee. In addition, there were some pastries, cookies, and drinks. There was a balloon maker, an area for children to color, and each builder had small freebies. My wife liked that there were flowers. They had pre-made bouquets that you could take or we had the option to select a couple flowers and have them make one for you.

Hi,
Regarding the Vine -are the cupboards able to be substituted from Plan 3 to Plan 2? Also do you know what the total tax rate and hoa are for the Vine? Do you know when the build is complete for this plan as well?

Thank you! You've been a tremendous help.

SoclosetoIrvine said:
#Flamesuit on!

I know I sound like a Baker Ranch spokesman by know (I know I know this is TalkIrvine) but $500-$600k can get a nice house in The Rowe
http://www.liveatbakerranch.com/homes/the-rowe

I've seen these models before and they are spacious

Their plan 2 or 3 which is 3 bedrooms start around $554,900 no MelloRoos
3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths.
Approx. 1,563 sq. ft
(949) 916-9688

If you have kids or will have kids soon and are looking for Irvine Schools, sorry ignore my post LOL (there's another education post somewhere here for that...)

Hi,
Do you happen to know the tax rate and the monthly HOA dues for The Rowe at Baker Ranch?

Thank you!

shawnanicole said:
SoclosetoIrvine said:
#Flamesuit on!

I know I sound like a Baker Ranch spokesman by know (I know I know this is TalkIrvine) but $500-$600k can get a nice house in The Rowe

3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths.
Approx. 1,563 sq. ft
(949) 916-9688

If you have kids or will have kids soon and are looking for Irvine Schools, sorry ignore my post LOL (there's another education post somewhere here for that...)

Hi,
Do you happen to know the tax rate and the monthly HOA dues for The Rowe at Baker Ranch?

Thank you!

Tax rate is 1.03-1.05% and HOA is around $350/mo.

USCTrojanCPA said:
shawnanicole said:
SoclosetoIrvine said:
#Flamesuit on!

3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths.
Approx. 1,563 sq. ft
(949) 916-9688

Hi,

Thank you!

Thanks for the adding the info sir!
If you can have a little more budget, the detached sfr residences in Baker Ranch are around $200/month so you save about $150/month in HOA there.  Without MR, you should be able to afford more per month if you liked it here

You've gotten a lot of great info in this thread...look at the pros and cons and see what you feel is the best decision for your family.  Need Irvine Schools? I think eastwood is your play.  It's lower MR's than most of the other newer communities.  Only negative is a Helena (attached condo 3 or 4 plex style) will be in the low 700's already...with high HOA's as well so you might be priced only at Avalon at this point. 

shawnanicole said:
pjs4x4 said:

Hi,
I looked at the willow plans online - the 1600 sq ft said mid 500's online but you mentioned it was 620k. Are all the prices listed before all the upgrades are added? Also so you remember the HOA dues and the Mello roos tax rate?
Thank you for your help!
[/quote]

Willow 1600 sq ft last year pricing was 535k (i did 15k upgrades). The 650k i was talking about was for "detached condo". Mello Ross is $3250/year and HOA - $315/month (which is proudly advertised by them as the lowest in IR for a condo) & if you make a quick visit at office, all are already sold out, its in phase 4 (last phase now) & after speaking with neighbors, their local repair guy and all, lot of chinese investors have scooped them up quickly and the builder will not budge or do any price negotiations since they had no shortage of buyers, hope my 2 cents help...i bought 3 story because we like to workout lol and having a bigger space is MORE important than everything squeezed together on one or 2 floors....top level bedrooms = more privacy and i really like the open flowing kitchen on which most of my friends who have 800K+ homes complemented, so in willow the open living area inside is my favorite place.

SoclosetoIrvine said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
shawnanicole said:
SoclosetoIrvine said:
#Flamesuit on!

3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths.
Approx. 1,563 sq. ft
(949) 916-9688

Hi,

Thank you!

Thanks for the adding the info sir!
If you can have a little more budget, the detached sfr residences in Baker Ranch are around $200/month so you save about $150/month in HOA there.  Without MR, you should be able to afford more per month if you liked it here

You've gotten a lot of great info in this thread...look at the pros and cons and see what you feel is the best decision for your family.  Need Irvine Schools? I think eastwood is your play.  It's lower MR's than most of the other newer communities.  Only negative is a Helena (attached condo 3 or 4 plex style) will be in the low 700's already...with high HOA's as well so you might be priced only at Avalon at this point.

Pardon me for my lack of ignorance here regarding Avalon (i was in IR in summers, and might have walked into one), but how does a Helena 3-4 story is in 700's whereas the Willow at Portola remains at 550? Both have MR, same prop tax rate, HOA is 315 in willow.....would like to know what factors are at play here.

shawnanicole said:
pjs4x4 said:
Thank you everyone for the info and advice.  We went back today and checked out several models today including Avalon, The Vine, Brio, Indigo, Lantana, and also went the meet the builder event at Parasol Park.

Here are some quick and dirty notes:

Avalon: Good entry level price for the Plan 1. We pre-qualified but waiting list is quite long although they would not tell us how many people are in line which we thought was weird/fishy. Some things that we did not like are the tandem garage, stackable washer/dryer, and no kitchen island. I went to the upstairs floor plan and stomped as hard as I could but my wife said the noise was not too bad and could be heard mostly in the garage area of plan 1.

Brio: Plan 1 price is above the $600k limit at $630k+ but had a good layout, I like that it had 3 bedrooms or 2 bedrooms + den option. All the living space was on 1 floor and we liked the outside patio. We did not test the noise from upstairs but they had an overlay of plan 2 over plan 1 and we were told that most of the upstairs living space is above the garage areas, however we did not confirm.

Indigo: Plan 2 would be our main choice but is way above our budget at $650k+. It has 1 bedroom downstairs and a bathroom which would be one of main requirements. We liked that the downstairs bathroom had a seat/ledge and also liked the patio with storage room.

Lantana: Plan 1x would be the best bet for us since there is a bedroom and bathroom on the first floor. However, we did not like that the living room/dining room/kitchen on the second floor felt a little small. Finally, the master and other bedroom on the 3rd floor were okay but we felt like it was a workout getting from floor to floor. I think we ruled out a tri-level just due to convenience and  marketability later on if we decide to sell/rent.

The Vine: Wife seems to think that I compare all the models we see to either Plan 2 or Plan 3 at the Vine. The Plan 3 is $590k+ and is a 2 bedroom and 2 bath. We like that the garage has a small workshop area and that the washer/dryer are side-by-side. In addition, the garage is 2 car side-by-side. The kitchen has an island and all the living space is all on 1 floor. We did not test the noise from upstairs neighbors but the ceilings on the plan 3 seemed pretty high. At either $590k for the plan 3 or $540k for the plan 2, are there better options than these plans for the price? Maybe I have tunnel vision but wanted to get everyone's opinion on if I am missing something.

Community: We liked Eastwood Village and Portola Springs. However, for some reason, Cypress Village did not stand out to us.

Meet the Builder Event: Sorry for the weak review but we felt that Parasol Park would probably be out of our price range and felt that the outside designs of all the builders were bland, boxy, and boring. The event was pretty nice. There was free coffee. In addition, there were some pastries, cookies, and drinks. There was a balloon maker, an area for children to color, and each builder had small freebies. My wife liked that there were flowers. They had pre-made bouquets that you could take or we had the option to select a couple flowers and have them make one for you.

Hi,
Regarding the Vine -are the cupboards able to be substituted from Plan 3 to Plan 2? Also do you know what the total tax rate and hoa are for the Vine? Do you know when the build is complete for this plan as well?

Thank you! You've been a tremendous help.

Not sure about the substitution of the cupboards from plan 3 to plan 2 but I believe you can customize the cupboard color/shade when you purchase it.

Anticipated base tax rate is 1.0035% annually
CFD's 86-1 and 09-1 are ~$1,700 annually
Assessment district AD 04-20 ~$1,966 annually.

This is from the literature that they give you when you visit the Vine.

dream16 said:
shawnanicole said:
pjs4x4 said:

Hi,
Thank you for your help!

Willow 1600 sq ft last year pricing was 535k (i did 15k upgrades). The 650k i was talking about was for "detached condo". Mello Ross is $3250/year and HOA - $315/month (which is proudly advertised by them as the lowest in IR for a condo) & if you make a quick visit at office, all are already sold out, its in phase 4 (last phase now) & after speaking with neighbors, their local repair guy and all, lot of chinese investors have scooped them up quickly and the builder will not budge or do any price negotiations since they had no shortage of buyers, hope my 2 cents help...i bought 3 story because we like to workout lol and having a bigger space is MORE important than everything squeezed together on one or 2 floors....top level bedrooms = more privacy and i really like the open flowing kitchen on which most of my friends who have 800K+ homes complemented, so in willow the open living area inside is my favorite place.
[/quote]

Thank you for all the great info! I did view Willow today Unit 1-3. I really liked unit 3 except the bedrooms share common walls which isn't exactly ideal should I need a roommate later on down the line. They also did not have any unit 3s available. They also don't know what the pricing will be. I did like unit 1 and it is enough space for me except the closet in the master is so small !  This is only the first place I looked at so I'll view some more this weekend.

pjs4x4 said:
I am looking for new communities or communities that are planning to be built in the $500-$600k range. I have checked out The Vine at Portola Springs and the plan that we like has a waiting list. I have checked out Willow but the 3-story set up does not work for us. I have also checked out Avalon but there is also a waiting list for the plan that we like. We would like either a 1-story or 2-story with a bedroom on the 1st floor. We are looking for a 2 bedroom 2 bath with a 2 car (side by side but can do tandem.

Am I missing any other communities in Irvine? Is anyone aware of other communities that we will built that will be built in that range?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Hi ! I am on the waiting list for the Vine now. I am wanting to see if you've heard back from the Vine and how long you have been on the waiting list.  Have you heard from Avalon? And how long has it been?

Thank you,

Shawna

Been looking around for new homes in this price range, they're pretty hard to find! Looks like Sterling will be coming online sometime soon, but who knows how those will actually be priced...

ArchPhotog said:
Been looking around for new homes in this price range, they're pretty hard to find! Looks like Sterling will be coming online sometime soon, but who knows how those will actually be priced...

You should jump on this one:https://www.redfin.com/CA/Lake-Forest/104-Wild-Rose-92630/home/102066960

Yes, it's Lake Forest and house number ends in a '4'. But, it's in a good area, still brand new, and you're not paying mello-roos.

Back