Living in Portola Springs

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:
PS is better than stonegate, cypress village and woodbury.
And Columbus Square? Who are you... test?? :)
I've always been a supporter if PS. I lived in Woodbury for a year and change in 2007/2008 and it felt crowded then. Ps is less dense which is nice. If I was buying new in irvine, north of the 5, non grove OH, I would go PP first and PS second. Although being a valuhntr I would put stan pacs greenwood at Tustin legacy :)

I live in Portola Springs so I'll chime in here:

Location / Traffic
- The location has some advantages. I work off Alton so I take Irvine Blvd south which is currently a straight shot. Portola Springs is currently the closest Irvine village to work (parts of the Great Park will eventually be a lot closer)
- If you don't mind taking the toll roads you can get around quickly. It's a very quick drive up Portola to the 261 (which you can then take to the District or the 241 north). It's quick to get to the 133 (to the 5, 405 or Laguna Beach) and very quick to the 241 south
- The main time Woodbury has a better location is if you need to get to the the Jeffrey/Trabuco area which is the other side of Woodbury from Portola Springs
- I really wish Portola connected to Foothill Ranch so I could shop there without paying a toll. Someone correctly pointed out that if it did there would probably be a ton of traffic on Portola so it's a blessing in disguise.

Diversity
Like most of Irvine there are a lot of Asians. Portola Springs seems to be quite diverse with many different Asians and mostly ones that have lived in the US for many years (not FCBs). There are also a lot of Indians, Caucasians (and a diverse range from the UK, Russia, East Coast, Bay Area, locals) and also some African-American and Latino.

We have become friends with many of our neighbors. We have young children and they like playing with most of the neighborhood kids and playing at the pools / parks.

Master Plan
This is definitely a complaint of mine. They have erased the retail center and community park and not communicated what is replacing them. If I were buying new I would demand answers. I have thought about a class action lawsuit if they don't replace them.

Landfills / Toll Roads
The landfill is a moot point - no noise, smell, nothing. If a vehicle with no muffler drives on the toll road it can be loud (though I imagine that this is the case for homes anywhere near major streets as well). The toll road gets 90% of its traffic during rush hour and is very quiet at night. It is scheduled to become a free highway in 40 years or so. It's far enough away to not affect resale value yet, but I definitely do not want to retire in my home and want to sell before I get anywhere close to it being a free highway and starting to kill resale.

Compared to other villages
Location wise the Woodbridge area is much more central to Irvine and I wanted to live there originally. However it has older homes, a TCE Plume and is expensive. My wife says she really enjoys being on the outskirts of Irvine with the mountain views and curvy streets.

I like the fact that Portola Springs has multiple builders. The TIC only villages (I should say 90% TIC) like Stonegate and Cypress Village and Laguna Altura seem stale to me. That leaves Pavilion Park, Orchard Hills and Woodbury. Orchard Hills is too pricey IMO and the location doesn't warrant the premium. Pavilion Park is very nice and was affordable at first, but pricing has come up and it has the highest mello-roos as well. Woodbury is nice - it's re-sale only at this point so it's a matter of finding the right deal.

Future Resale value
Portola Springs and Pavilion Park do trade at a discount to Stonegate/Woodbury/etc. One of the reasons is that there is so much new housing being built there and so much new housing planned. Portola Springs still has 3,000 or so homes to build while the Great Park has 9,000. When offered new and resale for the same price, buyers prefer new  (warranty, can customize, model homes, etc.). If the neighborhood would be fully built out in a couple years you'd start to see appreciation at that time, but since it will be over 10 years, appreciation will be a little slower. Obviously builders will raise prices as high and as much as they can, but I don't see them being able to.

qwerty said:
irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:
I've always been a supporter if PS. I lived in Woodbury for a year and change in 2007/2008 and it felt crowded then. Ps is less dense which is nice. If I was buying new in irvine, north of the 5, non grove OH, I would go PP first and PS second. Although being a valuhntr I would put stan pacs greenwood at Tustin legacy :)

Is there a good public source of info on stutus of Tustin Legacy project? 
Curious abt the homes that they'll sell and when.

O Hills said:
qwerty said:
irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:

this is the main site, but kind of outdated, helpful though with regard to getting info on the pollution that existed at the base
http://tustinlegacy.com/

test is probably the best source of info.  he also started this thread but no floor plans or anything
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,11840.msg233407.html#msg233407

qwerty said:
O Hills said:
qwerty said:
irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:

this is the main site, but kind of outdated, helpful though with regard to getting info on the pollution that existed at the base
http://tustinlegacy.com/

test is probably the best source of info.  he also started this thread but no floor plans or anything
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,11840.msg233407.html#msg233407

Thanks-- looks like this area is going to get crazy-congested.

I think all villages have pros/cons.  I never begrudge anyone for buying at one village over another.  My concerns for PS are as followed:

1)  No retail space nearby
2)  The surrounding area feels "isolated".  That is somewhat alleviated by Pavilion Park but it's still has an "undeveloped" feel to it.  Bordering the 261 and 133 does not help.
3)  Fire danger
4)  Basically two access points:  Arrowhead and Ridge Valley.  Thus, you drive past where PS starts to get into the community.  Woodbury and SG both have multiple exit points leading out to Jeffrey/Portola Blvd/Irvine/Sand Canyon.
5)  Confusing streets.  It's not as bad as Woodbury but it's still somewhat confusing.
6)  Lack of close school...the opening of PS Elementary will help a lot but back when PS was opening, the lack of a neighborhood school was not good.

I think  a lot of the issues with PS resulted from the downturn in the market and economy.  TIC basically stopped developing between 2007 and 2009 and PS got the bad end of that.  A lot of it can be address with the development of the Great Park but it may not help if GP is going to have a lot more residential areas that are "closer" to the freeway.  For example, I would probably buy PP over PS had those been the choices.

Irvinecommuter said:
I think all villages have pros/cons.  I never begrudge anyone for buying at one village over another.  My concerns for PS are as followed:

2)  The surrounding area feels "isolated".  That is somewhat alleviated by Pavilion Park but it's still has an "undeveloped" feel to it.  Bordering the 261 and 133 does not help.
3)  Fire danger
4)  Basically two access points:  Arrowhead and Ridge Valley.  Thus, you drive past where PS starts to get into the community.  Woodbury and SG both have multiple exit points leading out to Jeffrey/Portola Blvd/Irvine/Sand Canyon.
5)  Confusing streets.  It's not as bad as Woodbury but it's still somewhat confusing.
6)  Lack of close school...the opening of PS Elementary will help a lot but back when PS was opening, the lack of a neighborhood school was not good.

I think  a lot of the issues with PS resulted from the downturn in the market and economy.  TIC basically stopped developing between 2007 and 2009 and PS got the bad end of that.  A lot of it can be address with the development of the Great Park but it may not help if GP is going to have a lot more residential areas that are "closer" to the freeway.  For example, I would probably buy PP over PS had those been the choices.

I think you are talking only about Enclave 1. Here's a master plan for PS:http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php?topic=396.0

Enclave 6 is not on the plan but is between Pavilion Park and the 133. They have been grading the land southeast of Pavilion Park. It will be away from the toll roads, fire danger, etc.

Part of the appeal of Portola Springs is that each Enclave is unique and a buyer can choose the Enclave that fits their needs.

paperboyNC said:
Irvinecommuter said:

3)  Fire danger

I think you are talking only about Enclave 1. Here's a master plan for PS:http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php?topic=396.0

Enclave 6 is not on the plan but is between Pavilion Park and the 133. They have been grading the land southeast of Pavilion Park. It will be away from the toll roads, fire danger, etc.

Part of the appeal of Portola Springs is that each Enclave is unique and a buyer can choose the Enclave that fits their needs.

Enclave 1 is basically all I have to judge PS on, certainly when I was looking at their homes in 2007.  The remaining enclaves (excluding 6) are "too far away" even if the addresses are in Irvine.  It's basically Baker's Ranch distance.  Also, considering there are no direct connection to FH Ranch (except via the 241), It's basically a dead end. 

Enclave 6 is definitely interesting but it remains to see what TIC does or does not do with PS going forward. 

My comments in parenthesis below.

Irvinecommuter said:

1)  No retail space nearby (agree nothing walking distance, but not a big deal for me since WB Town Center is so near and on the way home from work)
2)  The surrounding area feels "isolated".  That is somewhat alleviated by Pavilion Park but it's still has an "undeveloped" feel to it.  Bordering the 261 and 133 does not help. (This depends on which enclave you live in. I agree that the ones past Lambert Ranch area are a bit like a dead end.)
3)  Fire danger (Also depends which enclave you live in. Unless your house is right up against the mountain, the chance that a fire would burn down your house is close to nothing.)
5)  Confusing streets.  It's not as bad as Woodbury but it's still somewhat confusing. (This wouldn't be an issue if you lived here. The streets are very easy to learn, much easier than WB.)

dealcatcher said:
My comments in parenthesis below.

Irvinecommuter said:

1)  No retail space nearby (agree nothing walking distance, but not a big deal for me since WB Town Center is so near and on the way home from work)
2)  The surrounding area feels "isolated".  That is somewhat alleviated by Pavilion Park but it's still has an "undeveloped" feel to it.  Bordering the 261 and 133 does not help. (This depends on which enclave you live in. I agree that the ones past Lambert Ranch area are a bit like a dead end.)
3)  Fire danger (Also depends which enclave you live in. Unless your house is right up against the mountain, the chance that a fire would burn down your house is close to nothing.)
5)  Confusing streets.  It's not as bad as Woodbury but it's still somewhat confusing. (This wouldn't be an issue if you lived here. The streets are very easy to learn, much easier than WB.)

I'll pull it out the quotes to make it easy to read:

1)  It's not really the from work to home trip but the "ooh, I need X to make something" or "hey it's Sunday Night and let's go somewhere close to eat/shop."  The two access point thing doesn't help because if you have to find your way out of the PS even before you make the trip toward Woodbury SC.  Not to mention trying to get to CV Shopping Center, Orangetree Shopping Center, or the Korean Market.  With SG (for example), I would generally cut through the community to go out to Jeffrey or Irvine Blvd.  If I want to go to Woodbury Shopping Center, I'll just go out on Sand Canyon.

2)  I think Enclave 1 feels a little isolated...I mean you make that right turn on to Portola from Sand Canyon and you have to drive past the 133, there is not much there.

3)  I think pretty much anything north of Portola Blvd is a fire danger.  Heck I live close to Portola Blvd and I feel like I'm in fire danger zone.

4)  I think the confusing part are for people who don't live there...I mean it would be very bad if you live in an area and still find it confusing.

Irvinecommuter said:
I'll pull it out the quotes to make it easy to read:

1)  It's not really the from work to home trip but the "ooh, I need X to make something" or "hey it's Sunday Night and let's go somewhere close to eat/shop."  The two access point thing doesn't help because if you have to find your way out of the PS even before you make the trip toward Woodbury SC.  Not to mention trying to get to CV Shopping Center, Orangetree Shopping Center, or the Korean Market.  With SG (for example), I would generally cut through the community to go out to Jeffrey or Irvine Blvd.  If I want to go to Woodbury Shopping Center, I'll just go out on Sand Canyon.

I guess I've never lived in the suburbs walking distance to dozens of shops and restaurants and I've always had to drive 5-10 to a shopping center. From Portola Springs I can get to the following shopping centers:

Woodbury Town Center - 2-3 min
Orchard Hills Shopping Center - 5 min
Foothill Ranch - 7 min
Cypress Village - 9 min
Irvine Spectrum - 10 min
Costco / Walmart on Technology - 11min
Marketplace - 12 min
Culver Shopping Plaza (by the 5) - 13min
The District - 16min
Crossroads - 18min

Outside of Irvine:

South Coast Plaza - 17 min
Shops at Mission Viejo - 18 min
Fashion Island - 24 min
Downtown Disney - 26 min

Yes, if I lived in Woodbridge I'd be a lot closer to everything, but it's pretty minimal. I've never driven this little in my life as I have living in Portola Springs.

thatOSguy said:
paperboyNC said:
I've never driven this little in my life as I have living in Portola Springs.

Fair point. Once you're getting in your car and driving, adding 1-3 minutes to the process is de minimis. It's a distinction without much of a difference, right? 'smuch as bones gives me shit for it, I do jump on a bike and load up the panniers now and again at NP or OH shopping centers, and that's a bit more of a chore from "WAY OUT THERE" (hands gesticulating wildly) in Portola Springs.

Major bonus points for using "panniers" and "gesticulating" in the same sentence/word stream.
#vocabbadass 

Back