Living in Portola Springs

irvinehomeowner said:
blitzjs said:
Is elevation that big a deal? 

I can imagine if it had an ocean front view or something but I don't really see homes in PS (at least the current 2 enclaves) having any real views.
In a fairly flat city like Irvine... yes... even if it's just of the city. It's not so much what type of view... just the fact that you have one.

It's nice to be in your backyard or your second floor and to look out to the sky instead of directly at your neighbor's house.

Agreed. We have a view from our 2nd floor and I think it makes a big difference.  I also have a view from the front of the house.

I really don't care about the buildout of WB/Stonegate/SG East.  I just hop on the toll road.  We use it all the time.  Since we moved in, our monthly bill for the toll is about $35, and like I said, we use it all the time.

annabanana said:
irvinehomeowner said:
blitzjs said:

I can imagine if it had an ocean front view or something but I don't really see homes in PS (at least the current 2 enclaves) having any real views.
In a fairly flat city like Irvine... yes... even if it's just of the city. It's not so much what type of view... just the fact that you have one.

It's nice to be in your backyard or your second floor and to look out to the sky instead of directly at your neighbor's house.

Agreed. We have a view from our 2nd floor and I think it makes a big difference.  I also have a view from the front of the house.

I really don't care about the buildout of WB/Stonegate/SG East.  I just hop on the toll road.  We use it all the time.  Since we moved in, our monthly bill for the toll is about $35, and like I said, we use it all the time.

I am not knocking on you taking the toll road, but seriously how many other people would do this?  My logic is if you are willing to pay $35/month on toll road fees, then WB already should already have a $35/month premium over PS.

I really don't buy that there will be this "sudden" premium later on.  I think all the home prices already factor in the anticipated build out of certain amenities in the disclosures.

sonoma said:
annabanana said:
irvinehomeowner said:
blitzjs said:

I am not knocking on you taking the toll road, but seriously how many other people would do this?  My logic is if you are willing to pay $35/month on toll road fees, then WB already should already have a $35/month premium over PS.

I really don't buy that there will be this "sudden" premium later on.  I think all the home prices already factor in the anticipated build out of certain amenities in the disclosures.

I wonder if people thought the same about Quail Hill.  We bought in 2003, and at that time, I THINK the pricing was comparable to other parts of Irvine.  I'm trying to remember, but I think we bought at about $320/sq ft.  When we sold in 2008, we sold at $450/sq ft.

Will the same happen to Portola, maybe, maybe not.  But I do think it will be valued higher than WB.

But, for our preference, we prefer the community layout of Portola (and it's future planned stages) to that of the squared in Woodbury.  We also prefer the slight elevation change, albeit it small.  Others may not.  It's probably just preference.  I think when everyone keeps mentioning that PS is "so far out there" that they don't realize its only 3-4 minutes away from WB.  It's similiar to what people are saying about WB, that it's so "dense".

If I was visiting WB for the first time, I believe the initial impression might be it's "dense."  Same with PS.  If I visited the first time, initial impressions are that it's "far." 

It's just personal preferences.

jumpcut said:
IT IS WRITTEN in the Book of TIC,

Woodbury and Portola Springs shall be designed as equivalent Villages with similar demographics and appreciation schedules,

Thou shalt not speak asunder of either Village or equate one over the other,

Each Village shall appeal to slightly different preferences, however all shall equate in harmony for all eternity.

However, WE and SE are inferior and shall be deemed Value Villages until the end of time.

Who said we're all godless heathens in Irvine?

Let's see where they put a Walmart.  ;)

annabanana said:
But, for our preference, we prefer the community layout of Portola (and it's future planned stages) to that of the squared in Woodbury.  We also prefer the slight elevation change, albeit it small.  Others may not.  It's probably just preference.  I think when everyone keeps mentioning that PS is "so far out there" that they don't realize its only 3-4 minutes away from WB.  It's similiar to what people are saying about WB, that it's so "dense".

If I was visiting WB for the first time, I believe the initial impression might be it's "dense."  Same with PS.  If I visited the first time, initial impressions are that it's "far." 

I had both those impressions... and while I still think that WB is "dense" and PS is "far"... I know that it's relative and probably very different for those who live there.

I use to think QH was "isolated" and "out of the way"... but going all the way down the loop in WBridge can be argued as "out of the way" too (especially with all the stop signs).

test said:
Woodbury and Hong Kong have the same density.
http://www.ocreader.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3586

That BS is so out of touch that it's not even funny.

Hong Kong population density is 16,440 per sq ft.  The area they calculate is for the entire city including the mountains, rivers, and hills of uninhabited area, not to mention commercial and manufacturing areas.  Counting the population centers probably will make Hong Kong at least 10 times the density of Woodbury, if not MUCH higher.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...d_dependent_territories_by_population_density

It's yet another post by BK, where the facts are twisted around to support his unsubstantiated argument.  The more I read about his post, the less credible his comments become.

PS is INDEED hotter than the rest of IRVINE, even than WB. I got this feeling each time I visit that area. Maybe it is not developed yet, all the "view" I can see is just hills covered by dry grass. It is like visiting a desert.  Also, Although it is just 10 minutes drive to WB shopping center, people need DRIVE, compared to 10 minutes WALK from WB/SG.

h said:
PS is INDEED hotter than the rest of IRVINE, even than WB. I got this feeling each time I visit that area. Maybe it is not developed yet, all the "view" I can see is just hills covered by dry grass. It is like visiting a desert.  Also, Although it is just 10 minutes drive to WB shopping center, people need DRIVE, compared to 10 minutes WALK from WB/SG.

Interesting first post!  Must have hit a soft spot to defend WB so adamantly.

As a fact, I don't live in WB  ;D. There is no need to defend. I just want to share my feedback to the discussion on this thread. That's it.

h said:
As a fact, I don't live in WB  ;D. There is no need to defend. I just want to share my feedback to the discussion on this thread. That's it.

Welcome to TalkIrvine!  You're gonna like it here!

annabanana said:
sonoma said:
annabanana said:
irvinehomeowner said:
blitzjs said:

I wonder if people thought the same about Quail Hill.  We bought in 2003, and at that time, I THINK the pricing was comparable to other parts of Irvine.  I'm trying to remember, but I think we bought at about $320/sq ft.  When we sold in 2008, we sold at $450/sq ft.

Will the same happen to Portola, maybe, maybe not.  But I do think it will be valued higher than WB.

I 100% agree with you that homes in PS will sell for more (price/sf) than WB homes when the dust settles.  The things that are killing PS for now are the lack of a community shopping center, no school, and the area only being 1/3 built out. 

USCTrojanCPA said:
annabanana said:
sonoma said:
annabanana said:
irvinehomeowner said:
blitzjs said:

I 100% agree with you that homes in PS will sell for more (price/sf) than WB homes when the dust settles.  The things that are killing PS for now are the lack of a community shopping center, no school, and the area only being 1/3 built out.

I think housing prices in Irvine are affected by FCB or let's just say foreign buyers.  Do these type of buyers think that living in Portola Springs is more attractive than WB?  I would guess no.  It's too far from Ranch 99 and all the other ethnic plazas.  :D

sonoma said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
annabanana said:
sonoma said:
annabanana said:
irvinehomeowner said:
blitzjs said:

I think housing prices in Irvine are affected by FCB or let's just say foreign buyers.  Do these type of buyers think that living in Portola Springs is more attractive than WB?  I would guess no.  It's too far from Ranch 99 and all the other ethnic plazas.  :D
It doesn't stop FCBers from buying in Quail Hill and Turtle Ridge.  I personally think that prices in Irvine are affected more by the non-FCBers who put down 30-50%+ on their home purchase because there are a lot more of those buyers than cash buyers.  Who said that a 99 Ranch isn't going go into the Portola Springs shopping center when it's built?  ;) 

USCTrojanCPA said:
sonoma said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
annabanana said:
sonoma said:
annabanana said:
irvinehomeowner said:
blitzjs said:

It doesn't stop FCBers from buying in Quail Hill and Turtle Ridge.  I personally think that prices in Irvine are affected more by the non-FCBers who put down 30-50%+ on their home purchase because there are a lot more of those buyers than cash buyers.  Who said that a 99 Ranch isn't going go into the Portola Springs shopping center when it's built?  ;)

I think I would be more convinced if you can give me an example of one area in Irvine that has leaped frogged another area in terms of pricing.  More specifically, compare two area that are older communities.  Also, if you can give me a guess as to why it occured. 

Turtle Ridge vs. Quail Hill.  When they were beginning to be built out around 2003, price is very close between the two communities (Turtle Ridge was maybe about 3-5% higher).  Turtle Ridge skyrocketed more than Quail Hill during the bubble.  Today, there is about a 20-30% premium for Turtle Ridge vs. Quail Hill.  My guess is that the location of it being closer to the ocean and being by UCI make it more desirable.

Another example is Northpark vs. Northwood Pointe.  When Northpark was selling new homes in 2002-2003 they were slightly more expensive than homes in Northwood Pointe.  Today, Northwood Pointe homes sell at a slight premium to Northpark homes even though they are older and less upgraded.  I think Northwood Pointe being in the Irvine school district and having larger lot sizes probably has something to do with Northwood Pointe homes being more expensive. 

As for older communities....Walnut and old Northwood used to trade for approx. the same price before the bubble days.  Last time I checked I think the prices in old Northwood were slightly above $300/sf while prices in Walnut were under $300/sf (a 5-10% price difference).  I would caulk up the difference in pricing to old Northwood being in the Northwood HS zone vs. Walnut going to Irvine.

Remember that Portola Springs feels into Northwood High School while Woodbury feeds into Irvine High School and last I checked Northwood HS is neck and neck with Uni High for best HS in Irvine and Irvine is at the bottom. 

USCTrojanCPA said:
Turtle Ridge vs. Quail Hill.  When they were beginning to be built out around 2003, price is very close between the two communities (Turtle Ridge was maybe about 3-5% higher).  Turtle Ridge skyrocketed more than Quail Hill during the bubble.  Today, there is about a 20-30% premium for Turtle Ridge vs. Quail Hill.  My guess is that the location of it being closer to the ocean and being by UCI make it more desirable.

Another example is Northpark vs. Northwood Pointe.  When Northpark was selling new homes in 2002-2003 they were slightly more expensive than homes in Northwood Pointe.  Today, Northwood Pointe homes sell at a slight premium to Northpark homes even though they are older and less upgraded.  I think Northwood Pointe being in the Irvine school district and having larger lot sizes probably has something to do with Northwood Pointe homes being more expensive. 

As for older communities....Walnut and old Northwood used to trade for approx. the same price before the bubble days.  Last time I checked I think the prices in old Northwood were slightly above $300/sf while prices in Walnut were under $300/sf (a 5-10% price difference).  I would caulk up the difference in pricing to old Northwood being in the Northwood HS zone vs. Walnut going to Irvine.

Remember that Portola Springs feels into Northwood High School while Woodbury feeds into Irvine High School and last I checked Northwood HS is neck and neck with Uni High for best HS in Irvine and Irvine is at the bottom.

No, Turtle Ridge was always way more expensive than Quail Hill.  Did the ocean and UCI sudden move closer to Turtle Ridge?  :D

Northpark vs. Northwood Pointe - Could it be that the mello roos has expired in Northwood Pointe?

Are you saying that the best high school in Irvine changes?  Who is to say that Irvine High won't be the best one 10 years from now? ;)  Maybe it rotates? 

sonoma said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

No, Turtle Ridge was always way more expensive than Quail Hill.  Did the ocean and UCI sudden move closer to Turtle Ridge?  :D

Northpark vs. Northwood Pointe - Could it be that the mello roos has expired in Northwood Pointe?

Are you saying that the best high school in Irvine changes?  Who is to say that Irvine High won't be the best one 10 years from now? ;)  Maybe it rotates?

Uni high always has been a top dog in Irvine.
Northwood High has a very nice new campus, but academics wise it's far from Uni.
Northwood is much closer to Irvine and Woodbrige when it comes to test score, scholarships, and number of kids to going to top schoos in the country.

In the most recent National Merit scholarship semifinalists in OC, here are the numbers:

?Troy High School, Fullerton: 80 semifinalists

?University High School, Irvine: 60 semifinalists

?Northwood High School, Irvine: 20 semifinalists

?Sunny Hills High School, Fullerton: 13 semifinalists

?Irvine High School: 12 semifinalists

-Woodbridge High School: 6 semifinalist

I believe I'm falling to the FB category (not FCB though).  Mine and my friends criteria of buying house is simple - school scores and zones.  99 Ranch and Zion Market are nice to have facilities, but you have to drive there no matter you are in Woodbury, Woodbridge, PS, or QH. 

Education is the most important factor to FB as we believe that's where our kids will learn and behave the American way.  We hope to give kids an environment where not only teachers are nice and willing to spend more time with students, but also peer pressure to help learning. 

PS might be far from anywhere, but as said that it's only few minutes away from WB and all the other supermarkets.  If price is reasonable, school zones are good (Stonegate, Sirerra Vista, and Northwood High), I am willing to move there than Westwood.  Especially I do not have to worry about when utilities in 15 years house will need to be replaced or will fall apart, since houses in PS are newer than anywhere in Irvine.  Front yard, drive way, and back yard can be accomplished with near by parks.

That's my thought and some of my friends' comments.

Back