Portola Springs

panda

2dhe3x1.jpg

The community of Portola Springs has significant geographic and historical features that have been preserved and incorporated into a community of five distinctive residential enclaves featuring 4,500 single and multi-family homes. The site has varied topography that transitions from relatively flat ground to rolling hills with the Lomas Ridge as a backdrop. The site was home to Native American inhabitants who used the natural spring for water and was visited by Gaspar de Portola during the explorer's expedition and encampment on the site in the late 1800's. The master plan has set aside a 100 acre preserve in the Tomato Springs enclave featuring interactive exhibits and native plants and grasses. This preserve is adjacent to the 25 acre Community Park and a Community Center. Care was also taken to preserve the eucalyptus windrows that have been on site for decades as well as avocado orchards that surround two of the enclaves. Using these site conditions as opportunities for a unique community TRG Land conceptualized five distinctive residential enclaves connected by an extensive multi-use trail system that links residents, schools, parks, recreational areas and natural preserves. The collaborative design team includes EDAW, Stantec, and Digital Preview.

Project Details:
4,500 Single and multi-family home sites
1,220 Acres
Retail Center
100 Acres preserved interactive open space
25 Acre community park
2 School sites
Extensive multi-use trail system

I think the later phases of PS will be very nice. I like being closer to the mountains, similar to OH. Looking at the master plan diagram from Panda, it looks like they will be building a large sports park, shopping center, and school. It will also be very accessible to the Great Park too. This may take many years but I think it will be a very desirable location. The major downsides would be proximity to the Toll Road on some of the homes, fire danger, of course high MR.

IACRenter,
I totally agree with what you are saying. There are couple things that concern me about the future resale value of Woodbury. With all the IAC apartments and low income apartments coming to Woodbury, I would assume it would have a negative impact on the Woodbury schools. Woodbury is also just too compact. You would think you would get more for your home for $800,000, but you don't. It is just a small tract home in a compact sardine grid.

Though PS sort of looks like a ghost town right now five to ten years from now, I can see PS being a much more desirable area than Woodbury. This village is going to look absolutely beautiful in 2020 and highly sought after. Just drving into enclave 1 entrance, the feeling is so different than driving into Woodbury. You feel like you are driving into a higher end neighborhood with more space and views of the mountains. Personally, I also think that Northwood High will be the #1 Irvine High School in the next decade over Uni High. I've heard that Manzanita was not able to purchase more land from TIC so they will no longer be building any more phases. I think is also the case for Paloma. I have no complaints there. For the later phases of PS, I would really like to see more traditional SFRs (2300ppsft - 2600ppft) built. There is such a high demand for these type of SFRs.

I went to Woodbury this weekend and PS model homes.
There were lots of people in Woodbury model homes but very few in PS (paloma) models.

PS has a very nice environment and great view of irvine/costa mesa while Woodbury is sooo jammed! The house style of Woodbury makes me feel they are "manufactuered" from the assembly line.

Comparing the prices for similar sized houses, Woodbury is even little bit more expensive than PS. Both have high HoA fees and MS(tax 1.7% in woodbury and 1.8% in PS).

Phase I of PS (north of portola pwky) is almost completed, I noticed nearly all lots are built up why phase II of PS still have some empty lots. Especially near those "Vientos" neighbourhood.

TIC does not even advertise their homes in PS this year. All I notice from the 2010 new neighbour hoods are from Woodbury or Woodbury East.

Does anybody know any plan for PS? Will there be phase III this year or next year? I saw a huge "future retail site"near an empty lot. But I was told this won't happen before 2013...

It has been over 7 years since Panda wrote this nice post about PS and now does the sentiment about PS changes over the last 7 years?

Currently TIC begins to develop the last and the most scenery portion of Portola Springs, how will these neighborhoods fare against EW, Cadence Park (GP District 4), Altair and OH3?

Note that the Community Park was originally planned at N4A and housing was planned at the current site but later they swap the two, see attached map.

Attachments

• PSN.jpg
    PSN.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 206
Old map of community park makes more sense since its centrally located.  Current location is all the way up by the toll road and up a long stretch of uphill and borders only to PS4

Regarding those Woodbury comments tho, lol, now it's trading for crazy amounts. 2 bd attached condos closing for > $600k.

I was referring to Woodbury resales, there's been several closed sales for 2bd attached > $600k.  Not so much in PS unless you count the newer builds

The way GP is shaping up... And IF the High school does well... PS will be in good shape.

That sports park is going to be dope.

Burn That Belly said:
Can't believe Panda made this prediction 7 years ago and seems inaccurate from reality. Oh well, looks like we'll revisit this 7 years more from now.

Esplanade 2 bed/2bath fully attached going for $730k+ in Woodbury these days.https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/58-City-Stroll-92620/home/45377471

I remember nearly pulling the trigger on this back in 2010 when it was $545K. Esplanade's biggest selling point was the beautiful city stroll palm tree things and extreme proximity to WTC. Their unit also has the balcony and 12' ceilings.
I don't look at listing price, just sold for comps.

Remember this gem:https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/76-Haviland-92620/home/58556994

Talk about a listing price drop, haha

I have a very strong feeling that YF/BTB lives in Woodburry. If you remember his old posts, you would able to easily construe.

There is contradiction in your talk. If high school is important, why would one buy in CV, as CV is zoned to one of the lowest scoring high school, Irvine High?

Back