Legado in PS - anyone currently live there? Any other thoughts/opinions?

Happiness said:
If your biggest concern is resale value, then Trellis Ct is a no brainer. Cal Pac homes are well designed and have historically provided great returns for buyers. If you must live in Portola Springs, at least wait and see the new Cal Pac homes that will be available there soon but understand that Portola Springs is a great place to live, but not a great place to invest.

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it.

Future value matters to an extent, in that if our situation ever changes and we need to relocate, it'd be good to know we'd have the flexibility to do it.  That said, we do expect to stay in our new place for at least 5-10 years.

So you think being a Cal Pac home is what will help keep its value, despite potentially being located near a "noisier" area (Ridge Valley, GP, nearby toll, etc)?

Burn That Belly said:
The commute will definitely be an additional 15 mins each way during rush hour. Sand Canyon particularly very bad. Other option is to take 133.

How about ???? or ???? ? Wait I?m not going to say it. People think I would be pumping it or I?m getting paid for it.

For once I?ll answer differently:
Have you considered resale?s in SG, CV, NW, WB?

Great question!  We have looked around.  The CV resales seem to be around mid 900s for a 3/2.5 home, whereas we are aiming for a 4/3 home.  SG resales for a 4/3 are a bit above our range, and WB typically doesn't have the floor plans we prefer.  We haven't looked much into NW.

So these two options (Trellis, Legado) seem to fit the core of what we want/need (4/3, detached, sub 1mil, 2000+sq ft, open floorplans).  Just an issue of weighing the concern of noise/future traffic (Trellis) vs being more remote/adding 10-15mins of commute each way for both of us (Legado).  Legado does have a driveway, which is also a nice perk, but I do think both areas will be a bit congested with cars on the streets anyway, based on our observation of the two communities currently.

Burn That Belly said:
rickr said:
I live in Pavilion Park and avoid driving Irvine streets completely unless I am going to Woodbury Town Center. It is either the 133 or take the 261 after driving down Portola Pkwy. Portola never has date=1508260639]traffic.

When I first moved in I told myself I'm not going to pay the toll charges. After 3 days I was sold. Worth every penny. I look at it as saving money on gas since I am not in stop and go traffic. Actually get way better MPG out of the car using the toll versus Sand Canyon.

Driving down San Canyon would take me 45 min to get to work (Costa Mesa). Toll road either with 133 or 261 takes me 25 min (30 max). Plus I keep my sanity.

What happens when they make the 133 toll "public" like they said?  Everybody and their nanny, babysitter, contractor, tile installer, and landscaper would be driving it. Sounds like it is a good thing to keep it a toll.

If that happens just imagine the environmental health impact (if any) for those folks living next to the 133.
;)  :)

Jantoven said:
Happiness said:
If your biggest concern is resale value, then Trellis Ct is a no brainer. Cal Pac homes are well designed and have historically provided great returns for buyers. If you must live in Portola Springs, at least wait and see the new Cal Pac homes that will be available there soon but understand that Portola Springs is a great place to live, but not a great place to invest.

Future value matters to an extent, in that if our situation ever changes and we need to relocate, it'd be good to know we'd have the flexibility to do it.  That said, we do expect to stay in our new place for at least 5-10 years.

So you think being a Cal Pac home is what will help keep its value, despite potentially being located near a "noisier" area (Ridge Valley, GP, nearby toll, etc)?

Does TC plan 2 have a loft?  If not, I think the legado 4 may be better especially if you have kids. In terms of resale - I think TC will probably fair better given its location and the constant new supply in PS.  A tough choice and probably one that will come down to your personal gut feeling. Good luck!

bones said:
Jantoven said:
Happiness said:

Does TC plan 2 have a loft?  If not, I think the legado 4 may be better especially if you have kids. In terms of resale - I think TC will probably fair better given its location and the constant new supply in PS.  A tough choice and probably one that will come down to your personal gut feeling. Good luck!

No loft in plan 2 unfortunately (that and a driveway is all i would ask for in our home).

You can't go wrong with either location.  I will admit after living in TC for almost a year that it does feel a bit cramped (especially since most homes are built now).  However, the location has been such a crucial benefit for my family.  Easy access to nearly anything around Irvine, being able to bike to work, and the future retail center Base Camp.  My family and I have walked to the Great Park countless # of times for all the events, which is a huge plus.  I find it funny that the "Great Park" Neighborhoods are not really walking distance from the Great Park. 

Also, consider if you will be renting out the home if/when you move, as the low MR will benefit you from a cash flow perspective. 

bones said:

Thanks for the response!

It's actually the inverse - looking at a TC plan 4 (has the loft) and a Legado plan 2 (no loft).  TC is higher-priced (50-60k-ish) but the monthly cost (PITI) is offset by the MR difference, so each one is in the same ballpark in terms of monthly costs.

Both look like great neighborhoods, and I do feel I probably can't go wrong either way, but I do greatly appreciate all of the input and responses that I have received thus far.  :)

id_rather_be_racing said:
You can't go wrong with either location.  I will admit after living in TC for almost a year that it does feel a bit cramped (especially since most homes are built now).  However, the location has been such a crucial benefit for my family.  Easy access to nearly anything around Irvine, being able to bike to work, and the future retail center Base Camp.  My family and I have walked to the Great Park countless # of times for all the events, which is a huge plus.  I find it funny that the "Great Park" Neighborhoods are not really walking distance from the Great Park. 

Also, consider if you will be renting out the home if/when you move, as the low MR will benefit you from a cash flow perspective.

Thank you!  Great to hear from someone living in the area.  Given the proximity to the toll/5 and Ridge Valley, can you hear the noise from inside your home? 

Jantoven said:
bones said:

Thanks for the response!

It's actually the inverse - looking at a TC plan 4 (has the loft) and a Legado plan 2 (no loft).  TC is higher-priced (50-60k-ish) but the monthly cost (PITI) is offset by the MR difference, so each one is in the same ballpark in terms of monthly costs.

Both look like great neighborhoods, and I do feel I probably can't go wrong either way, but I do greatly appreciate all of the input and responses that I have received thus far.  :)

Oh it's the inverse?  Then its a no brainer, I would go with the 4/3/loft in the better location for the same money.

bones said:
Jantoven said:
bones said:

Thanks for the response!

Oh it's the inverse?  Then its a no brainer, I would go with the 4/3/loft in the better location for the same money.

It appears most of the responses are considering TC to be the better location, which I also agree with.  PS is in BFE. 

The question boils down to 'better location/convenience/higher appreciation' vs. 'better floorplan/driveway'. 

133 is very cheap, about .98 with Fastrack to get to 5 or 405.  Well worth it, I use it often and actually *hope* they keep it as a toll road so that it isn't bogged down getting onto the freeways in  the morning and late afternoon. 

I use about $60 / mo, well worth it.

paydawg said:
It appears most of the responses are considering TC to be the better location, which I also agree with.  PS is in BFE. 

The question boils down to 'better location/convenience/higher appreciation' vs. 'better floorplan/driveway'.

Thank you!  That probably summarizes it quite well, I'd say, although the higher appreciation part is unknown.  If, after upgrades and modest landscaping, a TC plan 4 comes to about 1 mil-ish, do you think the TC homes have room to keep growing, assuming that price point? 

Burn That Belly said:
Between the two poisons, Legado has the full driveway and is more remote so more quieter. But there may be congestion along Irvine Blvd. especially where the road narrows towards Modjeska. The other option is to go around and up to Portola Pkwy, then back down. Tough call. Either way, Legado will certainly increase commute times if work is on the south side and not the west side of Irvine where you could take Portola Pkwy and catch the 261 down.

Trellis Court is situated closer to all the action but backs the toll. During rush hour, traffic does back up on Sand Canyon daily when trying to get home, whether going in on Marine Way or Great Park Blvd. The other argument is that "GP has greater future potential" with all the amenities that are coming. The solution is to take the 133 road and eat the $100/mo toll road cost.

Which of the two will appreciate more is anyone's guess? That is another concern.

If I had to pick between these 2 only, I would take Legado because I an highly sensitive to noise and smog, and I do like the full driveway and being closer to the "premium-feel" homes like Altair. I feel that being closer to GP like Trellis Court is still not really walking distance to be convenient and folks at Altair would have the same issue anyways.

So that's another good point - TC is located in a higher density neighborhood (next to attached homes, affordable housing, and a 55+yo community), and itself is situated as a somewhat compact courtyard home setup.

Legado in PS5 is moreso with other types of home products (SFH Elderberry, Detached Condo Juniper, and some future unnamed SFH project), so most likely, the area will feel less compact once built out.

In terms of commute, I depend on the 5 to go to north OC in the morning, so realistically, living in the Legado area will realistically add 10 to 15 minutes or so, depending on various factors.

Jantoven said:
paydawg said:

Thank you!  That probably summarizes it quite well, I'd say, although the higher appreciation part is unknown.  If, after upgrades and modest landscaping, a TC plan 4 comes to about 1 mil-ish, do you think the TC homes have room to keep growing, assuming that price point?

The 'room to keep growing' is anybody's guess.  But that plan 2 bedroom downstairs is big, those high ceilings are unique and the MR is only $1700/year.  There's a reason why the TC homes are selling quickly -- there's a lot of valid selling points.  If you plan on upgrading in 5-10 years, I can see TC being a good house to rent out.  Especially after the retail and rink are built out.  I think the Irvine traffic issues will not easily be resolved, so CVE has an edge there as well. 

just my 2 cents...

FYI - I don't own a home in CVE but know people that live there and they have no complaints. 

paydawg said:
The 'room to keep growing' is anybody's guess.  But that plan 2 bedroom downstairs is big, those high ceilings are unique and the MR is only $1700/year.  There's a reason why the TC homes are selling quickly -- there's a lot of valid selling points.  If you plan on upgrading in 5-10 years, I can see TC being a good house to rent out.  Especially after the retail and rink are built out.  I think the Irvine traffic issues will not easily be resolved, so CVE has an edge there as well. 

just my 2 cents...

FYI - I don't own a home in CVE but know people that live there and they have no complaints.

Burn That Belly said:
Something to keep in mind. Appraisals are based on comps nearby. So surrounding neighborhoods with higher value will mean you can command a higher asking price in the future. So take into considering the surrounding neighborhood.

You can build a 7 bedroom McMansion in any neighborhood but if comps are all in the $500K, your home will get dragged down quite a bit.  Conversely, let's say they build an attached product like Delano in Hidden Canyon (for arguments sake), then that Delano could command a serious premium due to its location, even though it's an attached product. The golden rule of RE all reverts back to the fundamentals of "Location". These are extreme examples but it's just to show cause and effect.

(Actually, they may not be too extreme. There are some old as heck shacks in Beverly Hills that are multi-millions ->https://www.redfin.com/CA/Beverly-Hills/137-N-Stanley-Dr-90211/home/6814440)
That home is incredibly dilapidated and incredibly priced. Kudos to the owner!

Thanks!  So both of these touch upon another consideration - TC Plan 4 is the most expensive home in the "area" of CVE (mid-high 900s), whereas the Legado Plan 2 will be in the middle in terms of cost (Legado Plans 3 and 4 are 1mil+ now, Plan 1 is high 800s, Plan 2 low 900s, and also consider the neighboring Elderberry + Juniper homes, which are also more expensive).  Something about buying the most expensive home in the tract/area, vs buying a middle-tiered price home, is giving me some pause too.

Burn That Belly said:
Jantoven said:
Thanks!  So both of these touch upon another consideration - TC Plan 4 is the most expensive home in the "area" of CVE (mid-high 900s), whereas the Legado Plan 2 will be in the middle in terms of cost (Legado Plans 3 and 4 are 1mil+ now, Plan 1 is high 800s, Plan 2 low 900s, and also consider the neighboring Elderberry + Juniper homes, which are also more expensive).  Something about buying the most expensive home in the tract/area, vs buying a middle-tiered price home, is giving me some pause too.

Regardless of which neighborhood.... I prefer buying the cheapest or mid-tier in the best neighborhood than the BEST home in the cheapest neighborhood.

Which brings me to my favorite analogy  ;D  Top of the line Toyota Camry XLSE 5.0L V8  -or- standard Porsche 911 Carrera 

(on second thought, a 5.0L V8 camry might be incredibly fun to drive too, although would be terribly front-end heavy)

lol.. while I agree with your first statement.. don't agree with the analogy.  It's more like.. would you rather have Top of the line C class or standard 3 series. 

Burn That Belly said:
Jantoven said:

Regardless of which neighborhood.... I prefer buying the cheapest or mid-tier in the best neighborhood than the BEST home in the cheapest neighborhood.

Which brings me to my favorite analogy  ;D  Top of the line Toyota Camry XLSE 5.0L V8  -or- standard Porsche 911 Carrera 

(on second thought, a 5.0L V8 camry might be incredibly fun to drive too, although would be terribly front-end heavy)

Don't you think you're skipping a few steps when comparing a loaded Toyota w/ a standard Porsche?  That's like comparing Trellis to Shady Canyon (not Legado...LOL!).  A more apt comparison is that same Camry w/ a standard Lexus ES. 

PS5 is definitely not the Toyota Camry of Irvine.  There are much worse area's in Irvine.  BTB I remember you got the 6 series grand coupe, a very nice vehicle.  I'd probably choose that loaded over a mildly equipped 7 series.

Back