Isis, Ukraine, Ebola, Ferguson... is it WWZ time?

quote from top CDC guy

Last May, as Ebola crept across West Africa, America's top infectious disease expert told a group of Harvard students in a commencement speech to always second-guess their assumptions because "overconfidence can kill."

I don't know about you but if I was being interviewed by this outfit about Ebola, I don't think the first thing I'll do is show off my six pack abs.  :p  Is this the U.K. equivalent of the Star Magazine?

irvinehomeowner said:
I find it funny they had to disclose their occupation.

irvinehusky said:
I don't know about you but if I was being interviewed by this outfit about Ebola, I don't think the first thing I'll do is show off my six pack abs.
That's the first thing me and qwerbola do:

965c4297570233322b86671caa230e15.jpg

(that picture is so awesome it deserves a repost)

qwerty said:
from your link:

Can you get Ebola through a sneeze or cough?

A person who was symptomatic would have to sneeze or cough on a person directly, and then the mucus or saliva would have to come into contact with the eyes, nose, mouth or open wound for an individual to be at risk. Sneezing and coughing are not symptoms of Ebola.

while sneezing/coughing are not symptoms of ebola that doesnt mean an ebola infected person wont cough or sneeze. and yes, while a person is most contagious toward the end of their life, they are contagious as soon as the symptoms set in and im pretty sure at that stage people can still walk around so why couldnt some one go to a foodcourt, try to go to work, etc.  what if someone who is infected sneezes right into their hand opens a door, leaves wet saliva on the knob, someone touches the knob within seconds, gets the wet saliva on their hand, rubs their eyes, eats an oreo. do you know for a fact that the scenario i just laid out cant happen? these medical professionals say all this stuff is low risk, its low risk until you are the one who catches it.

the virus is not in the air, i didnt say it was.  i just said when someone sneezes it could shoot out at someone. low probability but still the chance exists.

The virus is not as contagious as most people presume or that the media has made it out to be.  Trust me if you could get it from touching a door knob or sneeze the death toll would be much more than 4000plus in a overpopulated set of nations in Africa where the virus is rampant since march of this year.

You have to have significant exposure to bodily fluids which is why it is mostly people in direct contact with these patients, nurses, family caretakers or people that prepare the dead body at highest risk. And it is most contagious during the end stages where virulence is highest and at that point most people are in hospitals.

Initially we weren't prepared with appropriate protocols. No one was. So you all can't just blame the TX hospital. No hospital besides the 2 main hospitals in Maryland and Emery in Georgia who specializes in Ebola would have been prepared. We're just getting our act together now.

You and socal may be right. But the fact that they are spraying down the apartments of all of these folks makes me wonder why it's necessary if it's not as contagious as you guys say.

irvinehomeowner said:
That's the first thing me and qwerbola do:

Qwerbola? Cute. Ok, I just realized where this conversation went wrong. See, I mistook Qwerbola's use of "Ebola" to mean the disease -- when he was actually trying to communicate with us in his native Spanglish. Eh.. uh... umm... "Like, lo Siento, Senor Qwerbola!" That's California girl Mexican for "Sorry, Qwerty."

mexican-word-of-the-day-ebola.jpg

qwerty said:
You and socal may be right. But the fact that they are spraying down the apartments of all of these folks makes me wonder why it's necessary if it's not as contagious as you guys say.

This is why they need to spraying down Duncan's apartment. Projectile vomiting.
Ebola is not airborne. It is not like influenza, which spreads on particles that you sneeze or cough. However, Ebola lives in vomit, diarrhea and saliva ?-- and these avenues for infection can travel. Projectile vomiting is called so for a reason. Particles that are in vomit may aerosolize at the moment the patient vomits. This is why if the nurses in Dallas were in the room when the first patient, Thomas Duncan, was actively vomiting, it would be fairly easy for them to become infected.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/abby-norman/im-a-hazmat-trained-hospi_b_5998486.html?utm_hp_ref=politics&ir=Politics

If Ebola did't get here, our government probably will release something here. 

Scientists wearing space-suitlike protective gear searched for hours in May for a mouse ? infected with a virus similar to Ebola ? that had escaped inside Rocky Mountain Laboratories in Montana, one of the federal government's highest-security research facilities, according to newly obtained incident reports that provide a window into the secretive world of bioterror lab accidents.

During the same month at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, a lab worker suffered a cut while trying to round up escaped ferrets that had been infected with a deadly strain of avian influenza, records show. Four days later at Colorado State University's bioterrorism lab, a worker failed to ensure dangerous bacteria had been killed before shipping specimens ? some of them still able to grow ? to another lab where a worker unwittingly handled them without key protective gear.

Citing bioterrorism laws, the Federal Select Agent Program doesn't publicly release details about accidents occurring in regulated labs. More than 1,100 incidents involving select agents were reported by labs from 2008 through 2012 and more than half were serious enough workers received medical evaluation or treatment, USA TODAY reported in August after obtaining copies of the program's annual reports to Congress.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...dents-lassa-fever-h7n9-burkholderia/15908753/

qwerty said:

It's just over precautionary measures, I think mostly to make the public and themselves feel better. They scrubbed down the frontier airliner 4 times apparently.

But despite doing that they obviously lacked common precautionary measures like not implementing protocols sooner (because this outbreak has been ongoing since march, did they not think it could come into the US?) and like allowing that 2nd nurse to board a commercial airliner prior to the expiration of her safety window. Those are careless mistakes they needed to not make when dealing with a disease with a mortality rate up to 85%.

And even though it's not a complete safety measure given people can travel here via non- African direct routes, I think we need to implement some stricter travel restrictions until they are able to contain the disease in west Africa more. These screenings they have is just checking if people have a fever, and the screening questions people will lie on them like Duncan did simply to enter the US. The current screening method has massive flaws and many will fall through the cracks and arrive here anyway which can be devastating to our public health system.

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty (or tyler) for weapons... momo for food.
Prolly tyler for location since LagAlt has only two entrances.

...I should point out that many freeze-dried meals don't taste that great.  For example, freeze-dried breakfast entrees with egg, sausage, and peppers.

After stockpiling about 2 month's worth of FD food, I decided to open a few cans and do a taste test.  Let's just say that I wouldn't want to eat the FD breakfast skillet unless if it's an emergency.  Fortunately, there are better options like instan oatmeal in #10 cans that'd store for 25+ years.  Not sure how long canned brown sugar would last, need to check on it.

For better tasting food in an emergency, it's better to stock the basic ingredients in #10 cans (soup stock, veggies, barley, etc) and cook them over fire or solar oven.  It's not as easy as the pre-prepared meals but will likely taste a lot better.  Be aware that the nutrient value listed per serving is rather optimistic, and vitamins are inherently unstable.  So if I were to prep for barely soup, I'd buy FD broccoli, spinach, carrot, etc. to provide better nutrition.

momopi said:
irvinehomeowner said:

...I should point out that many freeze-dried meals don't taste that great.  For example, freeze-dried breakfast entrees with egg, sausage, and peppers.

After stockpiling about 2 month's worth of FD food, I decided to open a few cans and do a taste test.  Let's just say that I wouldn't want to eat the FD breakfast skillet unless if it's an emergency.  Fortunately, there are better options like instan oatmeal in #10 cans that'd store for 25+ years.  Not sure how long canned brown sugar would last, need to check on it.

For better tasting food in an emergency, it's better to stock the basic ingredients in #10 cans (soup stock, veggies, barley, etc) and cook them over fire or solar oven.  It's not as easy as the pre-prepared meals but will likely taste a lot better.  Be aware that the nutrient value listed per serving is rather optimistic, and vitamins are inherently unstable.  So if I were to prep for barely soup, I'd buy FD broccoli, spinach, carrot, etc. to provide better nutrition.

I just read your suggestion. So do you have a mini stove and propane tank that you plan on bringing.

eyephone said:
momopi said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I just read your suggestion. So do you have a mini stove and propane tank that you plan on bringing.

I own a quickstove (sometimes called cube stove) and a fold-up "Sunflair" solar oven kit with pot.  The charcoal starter can also be used as a stove if needed.  The freeze-dried emergency food are in #10 cans, which can also be turned into a hobo stove with can opener.

I do have a couple propane tanks in the yard, but they're too heavy/bulky.  If I had to bug out in my car, I probably wouldn't take them with me.

So now that the 2 nurses are EBOLA free, does that mean they can go to NY and treat that doctor w/o protective equipment?

Still going to be not full strength for a while.

Anyone would be foolish to not wear protective equipment even if supposedly they have developed an immunity to ebola. You never know......... and there are several strains of ebola. Who knows if you have developed immunity from one if you are immune to the others.

AND they have to get a license to practice in NY.

I would think once they get their strength back, they could donate plasma.

Ebola update.  We should add household bleach to our disaster survival kit.

Ebola can survive on surfaces for almost TWO MONTHS!
Ebola can survive on surfaces for almost TWO MONTHS: Tests reveal certain strains survive for weeks when stored at low temperatures

Research claims certain strains of Ebola can remain on surfaces for 50 days

It survived the longest on glass surfaces stored at 4? (39?F)

Centres for Disease Control and Prevention claims Ebola typically lives on a ?dry? surface for hours - including doorknobs and tables

But when stored in moist conditions such in mucus, this is extended

Survival time depends on the surface, and the room temperature

Virus can be killed using household bleach and people must come into direct contact with the sample to risk infection

Back