Isis, Ukraine, Ebola, Ferguson... is it WWZ time?

Another suggestion, if there is travel to Africa, a person should be quaranteed for 30 days at an isolated location to make sure there are no symptoms. Because it takes 20 plus days to show symptoms that a person has Ebola.

The reason why the airport screeners check is to see if a person has it. But they can't detect if a person doesnt show signs.

Oh my gosh, my company just sent out a company-wide e-mail talking about Ebola and company travel.  No ban yet.  I'm sure our lawyers are already thinking ahead so they don't get sued. 

irvinehusky said:
Oh my gosh, my company just sent out a company-wide e-mail talking about Ebola and company travel.  No ban yet.  I'm sure our lawyers are already thinking ahead so they don't get sued.
They maybe waiting for the US to ban the travel, then they will ban it.

Hope this thing doesn't turn into something like the Spanish Flu of 1918.  People travel much farther and much, much faster worldwide now.  At least the "authorities" tell us that Ebola is much harder to contract than the flu.  That makes me feel better.  ::)

irvinehusky said:
That hospital is one issue but I really wonder about these nurses, especially the ones that traveled somewhere after the first infected nurse.  If I were one of the nurses, I would have volunteered and asked the hospital to isolate me at the hospital (and definitely reimburse me for it) since I wouldn't want to risk infecting my own family by going home.  I definitely wouldn't be cruising or flying or going to Disneyland after taking care of an Ebola patient.  ::)
Indeed.

But that's how life works, you don't think the worse because it's never happened to you.

Like for Vinson... she had the awareness to call CDC to see if she could travel but seeing how close 99.5 is to 100.4 (when you consider +/- for variances), she should have not flown.

But that's why people show up to work sick with the flu, they really don't think about how it will spread to other people.

showing up to work with a flu that has virtually no shot of killing you is one thing, spreading a disease with a 50% mortality rate is another.

irvinehomeowner said:
So this Ebola thing is getting a bit scary.

Scary for some. Exciting for others...

Funniest_Memes_ah-yeah-a-white-person-got-ebola_17612.jpeg

qwerty said:
showing up to work with a flu that has virtually no shot of killing you is one thing, spreading a disease with a 50% mortality rate is another.
But that's the thing, because we don't have Ebola here, people don't really understand how deadly it is... they assume because it's the US we can handle it.

Look what happened with H1N1.

I don't watch TV but I see more news than I want about Ebola.  You'd have to be Rip Van Winkle to not know about its deadliness now.  :p

Definitely, I would rather be treated in the U.S. if I had Ebola since my chances of survival would be much better.  So far only that Dallas hospital has messed things up but I'm realistic that there would be other sub-par hospitals as far as treating Ebola goes as this is really a new thing for us.

So when will we see the first case in the L.A./Orange County area?

irvinehomeowner said:
But that's the thing, because we don't have Ebola here, people don't really understand how deadly it is... they assume because it's the US we can handle it.

Look what happened with H1N1.

I'm in the 95%.

I had no idea what the mortality rate of Ebola was until yesterday (I was actually Googling to see if there was a cure).

SoCal said:
I liked Matt Walsh's post about Ebola (written 10/2). Right on the money.
https://www.facebook.com/MattWalshBlog/posts/839743522725426

posts like these are irresponsible.  if you get HIV, which requires blood or semen to enter your system, you still have a pretty good chance to live a long life with meds.  you get ebola and you have a 50% chance of dying. ill take my chances with HIV.  a person with HIV can be at a food court in a mall and sneeze and not infect anyone.  a person who has ebola and probably thinks its the flu can be at a food court, sneeze and perhaps spread it to whoever is next to him, probably the person who sits at the table after him, etc. i went for a checkup the other day and my doctor said that more people die from the flu than ebola to which i quickly pointed out that that is because of the numbers involved. almost everyone gets a cold and a good amount of people get the flu so yes there will be some deaths (among the elderly in particular) but the flu has no where near the 50% (or higher) death rate that ebola does. a person with ebola can rub their nose, cough into their hand and go open an office door and spread it pretty easily.

other countries have it right.
The Government of Belize said in a statement hours earlier that it had denied a request by U.S. officials to use a Belizean airport to transport a cruise ship passenger considered to be a very low risk for Ebola.

"The passenger never set foot in Belize," the statement said. "When even the smallest doubt remains, we will ensure the health and safety of the Belizean people."

irvinehusky said:
That hospital is one issue but I really wonder about these nurses, especially the ones that traveled somewhere after the first infected nurse.  If I were one of the nurses, I would have volunteered and asked the hospital to isolate me at the hospital (and definitely reimburse me for it) since I wouldn't want to risk infecting my own family by going home.  I definitely wouldn't be cruising or flying or going to Disneyland after taking care of an Ebola patient.  ::)

These responsible people think just like you.  After seat in the same flight with the 2nd infected nurse, they voluntary place themselves on quarantine.
Two male strippers who were less than three feet from Ebola-stricken nurse Amber Vinson when she flew from Cleveland, Ohio, to Dallas this week.  They've now both put themselves in a voluntary 21-day quarantine and said they washed their clothes and bleached all of their luggage after learning they came so close to Ms Vinson.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lf-quarantining-21-days-bleached-luggage.html

qwerty said:
  a person with HIV can be at a food court in a mall and sneeze and not infect anyone.  a person who has ebola and probably thinks its the flu can be at a food court, sneeze and perhaps spread it to whoever is next to him, probably the person who sits at the table after him, etc. ... a person with ebola can rub their nose, cough into their hand and go open an office door and spread it pretty easily.

Hysteria. Sneezing and coughing are not symptoms of Ebola. A person would be at their most contagious within the last hours of their life...  they wouldn't be well enough to just hang out at the mall's food court, eating Hot Dog On a Stick like nothing.

Please find me one reported case of a person contracting Ebola from a doorknob. While I wouldn't recommend going around licking doorknobs, I think it's the more direct contact that is the concern.

Have we seen any reported cases among hundreds of people who rode in airplanes with "tainted" re-circulated air catching Ebola? 

from your link:

Can you get Ebola through a sneeze or cough?

A person who was symptomatic would have to sneeze or cough on a person directly, and then the mucus or saliva would have to come into contact with the eyes, nose, mouth or open wound for an individual to be at risk. Sneezing and coughing are not symptoms of Ebola.

while sneezing/coughing are not symptoms of ebola that doesnt mean an ebola infected person wont cough or sneeze. and yes, while a person is most contagious toward the end of their life, they are contagious as soon as the symptoms set in and im pretty sure at that stage people can still walk around so why couldnt some one go to a foodcourt, try to go to work, etc.  what if someone who is infected sneezes right into their hand opens a door, leaves wet saliva on the knob, someone touches the knob within seconds, gets the wet saliva on their hand, rubs their eyes, eats an oreo. do you know for a fact that the scenario i just laid out cant happen? these medical professionals say all this stuff is low risk, its low risk until you are the one who catches it.

the virus is not in the air, i didnt say it was.  i just said when someone sneezes it could shoot out at someone. low probability but still the chance exists.

qwerty said:
other countries have it right.
The Government of Belize said in a statement hours earlier that it had denied a request by U.S. officials to use a Belizean airport to transport a cruise ship passenger considered to be a very low risk for Ebola.

"The passenger never set foot in Belize," the statement said. "When even the smallest doubt remains, we will ensure the health and safety of the Belizean people."

No doubt.  Apparently protecting citizens is not PC.

Isn't it ironic that two male strippers are making better decisions than some of the high ranking medical officials and medical professionals?  :p  But seriously, some might say this is hysteria but I applaud their self sacrifice.  Of course, I might see some promotional value here.

How come our newspapers can't "dig up" valuable news like this?  :p

lnc said:
These responsible people think just like you.  After seat in the same flight with the 2nd infected nurse, they voluntary place themselves on quarantine.
Two male strippers who were less than three feet from Ebola-stricken nurse Amber Vinson when she flew from Cleveland, Ohio, to Dallas this week.  They've now both put themselves in a voluntary 21-day quarantine and said they washed their clothes and bleached all of their luggage after learning they came so close to Ms Vinson.

Back