Hidden Canyon in Irvine

irvine99 said:
I think 7600 is a good price for paint. Toll is charging 9100 for the Manhattan paint.

It's a decent price if you don't care for enamel.  You can find lower bids post-construction using enamel (which is much higher per gallon), and you will have choices of colors.  If you don't want to hassle with vendors and quotes, then the builder is a decent option.  But I wouldn't consider it strictly from a price perspective...the value isn't there for what you get (1 color, flat finish).

Double check on the builder paint. We got one color through the builder. It was a sheen-y one.  Not flat. But not quite eggshell. Can't rememeber what it's called.

the dancer said:
That's awesome liege168. I wanna get the 48" fridge w furniture package.  Can you help me too?  I've asked various times w my design rep what's including with the furniture package compare to standard and she never really answered.  She wouldn't send me diagrams, dimensions, or details (spice racks, how many pull-outs including, lights under upper cabinets, etc).  Do you have any information?  Sounds like your design rep may be more informed than mine.

I wouldn't get too excited yet ;-).  Am still waiting for much of the same information but wanted to get the big ticket item out of the way.  At least I'm not required to go for the 60in fridge.

I'll let the forum know when I get more information.

gasman said:
irvine99 said:
I think 7600 is a good price for paint. Toll is charging 9100 for the Manhattan paint.

It's a decent price if you don't care for enamel.  You can find lower bids post-construction using enamel (which is much higher per gallon), and you will have choices of colors.  If you don't want to hassle with vendors and quotes, then the builder is a decent option.  But I wouldn't consider it strictly from a price perspective...the value isn't there for what you get (1 color, flat finish).

One big issue that I have with the paint through Toll is that you only have 5 SW colors to select from.

I can't live without having my Ben Moore Revere Pewter! 

marutaro said:
Laniakea said:
happios said:
The upgraded cabinet package basically has a more contemporary look and builds the cabinet all the way to the ceiling including the moulding. And yes it requires a 60" fridge and that's about $18000.

To me must have  structural options are pocket doors and master deck.  Fresh package for the kitchen cabinet looks nice but it's pretty costly.

eatthis said:
the dancer said:
How do you feel about the furniture package?  Design rep said we will regret it if we do not get it.  Don't know if she's genuine or trying to sell us. Do u think it will be hard to replicate the furniture package cabinets after COE??

I thought the standard cabinets looked fine. If I recall correctly, the furniture package also requires you to upgrade to the 60" (2 x 30") refrigerator, which is outlandishly expensive. We passed.

They charge $18k for 60" sub-zero fridge?? That so ridiculous. Most of high end fridge dealers charge $13k for the exact model plus $300-$500 for delivery and installation. Why 5K more? That sounds so O_C..

The 60" fridge is $16800 (for two 30" units), including either stainless or cabinet front panels. We were quoted $15900 for stainless front, and $18k for cabinet front at Pacific Sales, incl delivery and hook up. So if you go with cabinet front, you're actually getting a deal going through TB. If stainless, for $900 I'd rather not deal with potential cabinet fitment problems. I thought the fridges were a steal... cuz I was quoted $30k for the same 60" set up at Amelia...

I heard from another buyer that you can now get the furniture pkg with a 48" fridge instead of the 60". Keep in mind you will also need to upgrade to the 'Pro Appliance Pkg' for $2800 if you opt for the furniture pkg, which replaces the standard rangetop with a full-size range, and adds an extra wall oven.

We're at 4.4% with structurals, electrical, cabinets, fridges, appliances, and plumbing all in. Doing countertops and flooring after COE.

Regarding voiding warranties, it's only a 1yr warranty anyway, almost impossible not to void anything unless you buy everything through the builder.

Good deals: flat screen prewire, extra outlet, kitchen sink, fridge. Do structural options count?

Thermador 60" built-in fridge runs cheaper than sub-zero. (Doesn't have an internal water dispenser though) I got quoted around $12000 including installation. That's too bad the builder offers a limited selection.

snowball said:
marutaro said:
Laniakea said:
happios said:
The upgraded cabinet package basically has a more contemporary look and builds the cabinet all the way to the ceiling including the moulding. And yes it requires a 60" fridge and that's about $18000.

To me must have  structural options are pocket doors and master deck.  Fresh package for the kitchen cabinet looks nice but it's pretty costly.

eatthis said:
the dancer said:
How do you feel about the furniture package?  Design rep said we will regret it if we do not get it.  Don't know if she's genuine or trying to sell us. Do u think it will be hard to replicate the furniture package cabinets after COE??

I thought the standard cabinets looked fine. If I recall correctly, the furniture package also requires you to upgrade to the 60" (2 x 30") refrigerator, which is outlandishly expensive. We passed.

They charge $18k for 60" sub-zero fridge?? That so ridiculous. Most of high end fridge dealers charge $13k for the exact model plus $300-$500 for delivery and installation. Why 5K more? That sounds so O_C..

The 60" fridge is $16800 (for two 30" units), including either stainless or cabinet front panels. We were quoted $15900 for stainless front, and $18k for cabinet front at Pacific Sales, incl delivery and hook up. So if you go with cabinet front, you're actually getting a deal going through TB. If stainless, for $900 I'd rather not deal with potential cabinet fitment problems. I thought the fridges were a steal... cuz I was quoted $30k for the same 60" set up at Amelia...

I heard from another buyer that you can now get the furniture pkg with a 48" fridge instead of the 60". Keep in mind you will also need to upgrade to the 'Pro Appliance Pkg' for $2800 if you opt for the furniture pkg, which replaces the standard rangetop with a full-size range, and adds an extra wall oven.

We're at 4.4% with structurals, electrical, cabinets, fridges, appliances, and plumbing all in. Doing countertops and flooring after COE.

Regarding voiding warranties, it's only a 1yr warranty anyway, almost impossible not to void anything unless you buy everything through the builder.

Good deals: flat screen prewire, extra outlet, kitchen sink, fridge. Do structural options count?

Thermador 60" built-in fridge runs cheaper than sub-zero. (Doesn't have an internal water dispenser though) I got quoted around $12000 including installation. That's too bad the builder offers a limited selection.

Went to the design center today. We were quoted 12,100 for the 48 inch subzero. Does anybody know if this is a good price?

Also, I found out that if you want the furniture package the only thing you will need to upgrade is the hood. The stainless steel hood is 500. The precast one is much more, and depends on the material you select.

I am having a difficult time understanding the difference between the organic and fresh furniture package.

irvine99 said:
snowball said:
marutaro said:
Laniakea said:
happios said:

eatthis said:
the dancer said:

Went to the design center today. We were quoted 12,100 for the 48 inch subzero. Does anybody know if this is a good price?

Also, I found out that if you want the furniture package the only thing you will need to upgrade is the hood. The stainless steel hood is 500. The precast one is much more, and depends on the material you select.

I am having a difficult time understanding the difference between the organic and fresh furniture package.

That's not too bad. I think I got quoted close to $12000 from the outside dealer. Isn't 48" hood standard? What size of hood you are getting when you upgrade it?

irvine99 said:

$12k isn't too bad.. $1k-1.5k more than Pacific Sales depending on which model it is.

Thermador would be a little cheaper ($9k ish). The main difference between Thermador and Subzero is that in the 48" models, Thermador uses 1 compressor, Subzero uses 2. In the 60" models, they both use 2 compressors.

--Update: The fresh package is shown in the Santa Monica model, straight edge, no moulding. The organic package can be seen in the Cassis model,-- with a bit of moulding details, and polished nickel legs. The design center has 2D sketches of each package, but it's irritating how they expect us to dish out $8k without at least showing us some nice computer graphics... I had some pics in my phone, so hope these will help.

The $500 stainless hood option is shown in the Cassis model. The precast starts at $900, can be seen in the Avalon model.

Attachments

• Cassis - Fresh Pkg.JPG
    Cassis - Fresh Pkg.JPG
    335.6 KB · Views: 242
  • Cassis - Fresh Pkg 2.JPG
    Cassis - Fresh Pkg 2.JPG
    542.8 KB · Views: 227
  • Cassis 2.JPG
    Cassis 2.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 216
  • Santa Monica - Organic Pkg.JPG
    Santa Monica - Organic Pkg.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 248
marutaro said:
irvine99 said:

$12k isn't too bad.. $1k-1.5k more than Pacific Sales depending on which model it is.

Thermador would be a little cheaper ($9k ish). The main difference between Thermador and Subzero is that in the 48" models, Thermador uses 1 compressor, Subzero uses 2. In the 60" models, they both use 2 compressors.

I *think* the organic package refers to the cabinets in the Santa Monica model, straight edge, no moulding. The fresh package can be seen in the Cassis model, with a bit of moulding details, and polished nickel legs. The design center has 2D sketches of each package, but it's irritating how they expect us to dish out $8k without at least showing us some nice computer graphics... I had some pics in my phone, so hope these will help.

The $500 stainless hood option is shown in the Cassis model. The precast starts at $900, can be seen in the Avalon model.

My designer told me the opposite that the Cassis is the organic while the Santa Monica shows the fresh package (also shown at design center when you walk in and see the kitchen, it's the left sided cabinets). But who knows what's right, there's confusion all over with pricing and options with these first couple phases!

Grayston said:
marutaro said:
irvine99 said:

I *think* the organic package refers to the cabinets in the Santa Monica model, straight edge, no moulding. The fresh package can be seen in the Cassis model, with a bit of moulding details, and polished nickel legs. The design center has 2D sketches of each package, but it's irritating how they expect us to dish out $8k without at least showing us some nice computer graphics... I had some pics in my phone, so hope these will help.

My designer told me the opposite that the Cassis is the organic while the Santa Monica shows the fresh package (also shown at design center when you walk in and see the kitchen, it's the left sided cabinets). But who knows what's right, there's confusion all over with pricing and options with these first couple phases!

We're being told the same thing... and that's the option we have picked.

The price for the 48" isn't bad actually...

Am just glad they're not forcing us to upgrade to the fancier Wolf range (60" wide - dual side-by-side oven) with the furniture package...the one shown in the Santa Monica model.

do you guys worry about all the options you buy added cost to your final purchase price and end up having to pay extra property tax on it??

I would personally  only buy from the builder the structural stuff and whatever i can buy after closing i refer to buy after closing to lower the final purchase price... any inputs?

Grayston said:

My bad! I just checked my order sheet, Cassis is Organic and Santa Monica is Fresh. Apologies!

ocdad said:
do you guys worry about all the options you buy added cost to your final purchase price and end up having to pay extra property tax on it??

I would personally  only buy from the builder the structural stuff and whatever i can buy after closing i refer to buy after closing to lower the final purchase price... any inputs?

Yes, I totally worry about that. If you stay in the house for a very long time, the upgrades will really cost you in tax. We spent a lot on structural and electrical, but are conservative on cosmetic options that we can do later.

what are your thoughts on the standard white thermafoil cabinets compare to the colored real wood cabinets?  we like the pure white color but it's not real wood:(

the dancer said:
what are your thoughts on the standard white thermafoil cabinets compare to the colored real wood cabinets?  we like the pure white color but it's not real wood:(

$2 million+ home uses white thermofoil cabinet as standard, that's just not right. 

I like the white cabinets and I'm ok with thermofiil cabinets but it just feel out of place in HC.  At least TBs should offer painted white cabinet with real wood as standard. 

the dancer said:

It's a 2 mil plus home - upgrade the kitchen cabinets. The cabinet pictures that someone previous posted looks nice.

the dancer said:

I think the standard is wood, choice of five stains. We're doing white cabinets and it's an upgrade cause they have to paint the wood cabinets.

Keep in mind...cabinet "upgrades" are usually just for the doors.  The doors will be made of wood and stained/painted according to the available options.  However, the boxes themselves will remain particle board with laminate.  It's a complete travesty that this is the case, but when you've lived with craftsman cabinets, you'll never go back.  I've always gone with the standard thermofoil and ripped it out the day after close of escrow.  Yes, it's expensive, but there's no way I can live with these cheap builder cabinets anymore.

Also, in this case "made in America" really means nothing.  The subs that the builders use for cabinets aren't very impressive IMO.  It's all made-to-order modular, but it's really no better than pre-made modular.

Back