Hidden Canyon in Irvine

An interesting fact:

Recently spoke to a window covering company.

Out of all the homes he measured, only TB homes have consistent window dims.  What that means is:  when builders put in windows, there usually "allow" a tolerance on the width/height.  So, the top and bottom of the same window, may be 0.25" or 0.5" different.  For TB, such tolerance is not allowed.

Of course, this fact is not specifically for HC, but for general TB standards and/or quality control. 

fortune11 said:
"Buyers voting with their $$ "  is just fact. 250 home sales at HC (or whatever the exact number is) is simple math -- draining a potential pool of buyers from other sellers at similar price points  - why is this common sensical item so hard to understand ?

Did you miss the fact that despite a limited supply, resale homes at that price point still sold in Irvine at almost the same pace? This doesn't mean buyers always chose Hidden Canyon over resale, it means that buyers bought both. Is that not common "sensical"?

"Buyers voting with their $$ "  found these floor plans superior to the other layouts such that they chose to ignore other supposed deficiencies like the tract home nature.  Otherwise what has changed ?  same schools , similar proximity, similar terraced elevations. Except the guard gated.  Anyone can paint their home for a few $$ bucks and get that new paint smell.  it is by itself not enough to propel people to buy something

See above. You have yet to prove that "buyers voted with their $$". If they had, the sales pace for surrounding resales would have been much lower.

I come back to my Northwood example,  One reason homes are still selling here is the zoning of NW high that the newer homes don't have access the way districts are drawn now.  This neighborhood took an initial hit in terms of slow sales and prices when nearby new communities opened but then the buyer pool that cared about schools has come back w the pickup in sales again.  Lack of new home smell not withstanding . 

I think you just proved my point. Resale homes that are served by Uni still sell.

I am personally surprised at the success of HC , I had totally not expected these price points to move this quickly.  But the fact is it did happen.  Rather than denying it , it is a learning opportunity to see what Toll did right and what they may have done wrong (we will know in the future). 

Maybe it's nothing that Toll did.

Have you considered that these (including Laguna Altura) are the only new homes this close to the 405/Spectrum and serviced by Uni? Remember the uproar when they wanted to rezone these homes to the GP schools?

I still don't think the floorplans or designs are what drove sales here. Half the homes in Laguna Altura are the standard TIC cramped/motorcourt/box-on-box/great room floorplans that they have in Stonegate/CV except they are trading much higher.

If they built homes in that "business park" area between LA and QH and they were the worst floorplans ever, they would still sell.

I wanted to leave it at that , but since you keep beating up on the same issue , here we go again ...

point 1 -- we have already established buyers in HC want to live in Irvine for whatever reasons (school etc you name it) .  fact is for the same price you can easily buy home in Newport coast etc. but they are not doing that . ok ?

point 2 --  so now we have 250 buyers wanting to buy in Irvine in the 2.25 - 4 mm price range buying in HC over the past two years , right ? 

point 3 -- I take at face  value your 202 home resales at 2.25+ mm range in irvine over last 2 years - these are non HC sales . 

ok so far so good.

point 3 -- now imagine a world where if for some reason whatsoever (environmental concerns or whatever) the HC community did not get built .  Now you have 250 buyers in the 2.25-4mm range looking for HC like homes but cannot find them because HC is not there. 

Would at least some fraction of that 250 number have ended up buying existing resales and increasing this 202 existing re-sales number to perhaps 250 or maybe 300 ?  Wouldn't the quail hill / TR sellers have loved that ?  Remember these buyers ONLY want to buy in Irvine , as we have already established.

How is then HC not taking away sales from your other beloved neighborhoods.

Or do you think these 250 buyers would have vanished into thin air " poof. " , just to provide justification for your romantic theory that nothing can affect resales of these beautiful vicara (or whatever the plan is) homes ?

Common sense is less common than we think ...

I have no sympathy for Toll / TNHC or any other builder . they are all greedy corporations running to maximize the bonuses of the C-suite . But they are only responding to what the buyer wants / will take.  Highly likely that when QH was built those arches were a popular design feature.  But like boy bands of the late 90s, they have not aged well (well, except maybe Justin Timberlake). 

fortune11 said:
point 3 -- now imagine a world where if for some reason whatsoever (environmental concerns or whatever) the HC community did not get built .  Now you have 250 buyers in the 2.25-4mm range looking for HC like homes but cannot find them because HC is not there. 

Would at least some fraction of that 250 number have ended up buying existing resales and increasing this 202 existing re-sales number to perhaps 250 or maybe 300 ?  Wouldn't the quail hill / TR sellers have loved that ?  Remember these buyers ONLY want to buy in Irvine , as we have already established.

How is then HC not taking away sales from your other beloved neighborhoods.
If that was your original point, I would agree.

But this is what you said:
As Funkie said , actions speak louder than words.  People have voted with their feet / $$ . No one  (builder) is forcing anyone to do anything at that price point .  These buyers could have had their pick from many quail hill homes sitting on MLS for ages but the fact is they didn't.  Many real estate agents also would rather have seen 250 homes in this price range in quail hill /turtle / shady move in secondary market rather than let Toll soak up all the high end Irvine demand in one swoop. 

How do you know they had their pick froom QH but it's a fact they didn't? What if those buyers couldn't find a QH home they liked or didn't even look at QH?

And even though 250 buyers chose HC... that doesn't exclude that almost 200 chose surrounding resales.

Maybe it's just the way I read it, but you make it sound like people preferred HC over other areas much more ("voted with their feet / $$") but all I was trying to say was that isn't the case.

If there were only 50-100 sales in the surrounding areas, you have a point... but almost 200? That's too close to call "fact" that people voted with their $$.

Or do you think these 250 buyers would have vanished into thin air " poof. " , just to provide justification for your romantic theory that nothing can affect resales of these beautiful vicara (or whatever the plan is) homes ?

Did I say that? But by the same token, just because HC exists doesn't mean that no one will buy resales.

If HC didn't exist, would the 200 sales have been 450? No... because as I said before, resale market is limited by whatever is listed... and that's why that 200 number is compelling because resales have limitations that new sales do not which makes your position not as strong (as my original response to your post stated).

Common sense is less common than we think ...

This is the second time you have said this and I don't think this applies.

You still have not proven that statement about "quail hill homes sitting on MLS for ages". And once I pointed out the Redfin number, you started changing your point a bit. Or maybe that was your point all along and you were using hyperbole which is fine but saying I don't have common sense doesn't prove anything.

I have no sympathy for Toll / TNHC or any other builder . they are all greedy corporations running to maximize the bonuses of the C-suite . But they are only responding to what the buyer wants / will take.
I don't agree with totally with your last statement about "what the buyer wants".

No buyer said "remove the driveway" or "make the sideyard only 5 feet wide". There is a history of posts on TI and IHB that talks about how builders steer buyers towards designs that maximize their profit and are not exactly what the buyers want.

So yes, it's more "what the buyer will take"... or settle for.

Highly likely that when QH was built those arches were a popular design feature.  But like boy bands of the late 90s, they have not aged well (well, except maybe Justin Timberlake). 

Again, subjective. Many (including me) don't like those square modern design homes they put up at Beacon Park and Parasol Park, but they ones in Beacon sold fast. Does that mean buyers voted with their $$ and all new home projects should be modern only?

Just because it sells, doesn't mean it's what the people wanted/voted for.

Actually there were many homeowners who sold their QH homes for good tax-free profit to buy in HC in hope of another home run, including popular local realtor. Time will tell if they made a correct move or not.

Vicara is a great neighborhood with most of ~100 homes having good view and privacy. Floorplans are very average though.

If anyone is interested, there may be an opportunity to get into a home in HC at phase 1 pricing. Could be an amazing deal after the community closes out. PM me if interested.

Wow....I'm suprised to see both tracts are mostly sold out. This must have been the most expensive community Toll has sod outside of Manhattan.

No wonder, they are trying to replicate the homes in other parts of Irvine. I wonder which of their communities will have the highest appreciation given the current selling price? How will this compare to futue appreciation of areas like Newport Coast?

AlexG said:
Wow....I'm suprised to see both tracts are mostly sold out. This must have been the most expensive community Toll has sod outside of Manhattan.

No wonder, they are trying to replicate the homes in other parts of Irvine. I wonder which of their communities will have the highest appreciation given the current selling price? How will this compare to futue appreciation of areas like Newport Coast?

So far Vistas are doing really well.  Sold many lots they just released.  The Savona (equivalent to Santa Monica at HC) just got a deposit for a lot priced at $3.4 Million.

Zippohunter said:
AlexG said:

So far Vistas are doing really well.  Sold many lots they just released.  The Savona (equivalent to Santa Monica at HC) just got a deposit for a lot priced at $3.4 Million.

Muchas $$.  Is that the view Lot 136 with 17,314 sqft?

Goriot said:
Zippohunter said:
AlexG said:

Muchas $$.  Is that the view Lot 136 with 17,314 sqft?

Lot 136 has no view - it is blocked by the hill.

It is lot 135. I believe they tacked on 750K lot premium to it. The previous high premium for Vistas was 250K.

Ah ic.  $750k lot premium?? oh wow.  After upgrades and landscape, the buyer will be lucky to break even at $4.5 million.  People sure love that "new" smell.

Goriot said:
Ah ic.  $750k lot premium?? oh wow.  After upgrades and landscape, the buyer will be lucky to break even at $4.5 million.  People sure love that "new" smell.
Good news for the Groves at OH and the higher tiers of the Irvine market overall. At least $4.5M all in would be accurate for options/upgrades/landscaping. A lot that size would probably cost 500k minimum to landscape, but likely much more to make it 'nice.' ;)

Somewhat unexpected is how well both Vistas are doing well with non-view lots.  Some of them have large lots and are private but many are average sized lots.  What is good is that there are not many lots where you back straight to a rear neighbor.  There are elevation changes and at least some green behind most lots.

The Alta Vista single load street with views are expected to be 3.5 - 4+ million.
Next Bella Vista release has view lots and is said to have 500K premiums.

Got some inside information on the buyers of a few of the lots that recently sold...

One is a famous NBA basketball player...don't really want to "bust him out" on the Internet, but he is a really good player. Most casual NBA fans definitely know who this is.'

One is a famous Chinese actress. Probably one of the most famous ones from a semi-mainstream Chinese movie that was released in the US. Was featured in many Ang Lee movies.

One is a famous NFL football player who is playing for the LA chargers.

I guess maybe the home prices have a chance to appreciate if these are the types of people that are purchasing into the community. Not the typical lawyer, doctor, engineer (two income earning family) you find at QH, LA, or even TR.

keilbros said:
Got some inside information on the buyers of a few of the lots that recently sold...

One is a famous NBA basketball player...don't really want to "bust him out" on the Internet, but he is a really good player. Most casual NBA fans definitely know who this is.'

One is a famous Chinese actress. Probably one of the most famous ones from a semi-mainstream Chinese movie that was released in the US. Was featured in many Ang Lee movies.

I guess maybe the home prices have a chance to appreciate if these are the types of people that are purchasing into the community. Not the typical lawyer, doctor, engineer (two income earning family) you find at QH, LA, or even TR.
Are you referring to the lots recently sold at the Vistas or at HC? Things get a bit confusing when people start talking about multiple developments in a thread.

Happiness said:
$750k for view had better be a view of the Tecate girl training camp.

I had to google that.  Then, I had to explain the whole thing to my wife who saw me taking a gander.

Villager said:
keilbros said:

Are you referring to the lots recently sold at the Vistas or at HC? Things get a bit confusing when people start talking about multiple developments in a thread.

I'd like to think they want the nicer homes in Vistas vs HC but who the F knows these days.

Pretty strange to be buying these vs elsewhere for these celebs but I suppose its one of many properties.

Back