Hardwood vs. Wood Looking Tile

OpenSky said:
I talked to Bob at Groutzilla today.

in short, he doesn't think it necessary to seal our grout.

Reasons:

1. Non sanded grout can only accept clear sealer, which doesn't last long.
2. Our grout color is already dark, so as it discolors, we won't notice it.

Bob says sanded grout is the way to go, but it requires a minimum of 1/8" grout line, which is in conflict with wood look. He said it's a common mistake to do tight grout lines with light colored non-sanded grout.

we just got lucky that we aren't in that camp.

btw, nice guy, very helpful, talked himself out of $1300 worth of work (1300 sq feet plus backsplash).

Good call on your gout color.

Let me just summarized what we just find about wood looking porcelain tile.  If you ever want to do a wood looking porcelain tile floor, considered the following items:

1. Get a thin grout line.  1/16" or thinner if possible in order to get a good effect.
2. Make sure the porcelain tile is rectified so the dimension is consistent and allows you to do a 1/16" grout line.
3. Choose a dark colored grout.  It blend in better and don't need to be sealed.
4. Find a very good installer and expect to paid a little more in installation for it.

Check out this hardwood-like porcelain tile from Porcelanosa.  The grout line is 1/16" and the dark color grout blends in very well.

Attachments

• Porcelanosa Parker Tile.jpg
    Porcelanosa Parker Tile.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 558
OpenSky said:
I talked to Bob at Groutzilla today.

in short, he doesn't think it necessary to seal our grout.

Reasons:

1. Non sanded grout can only accept clear sealer, which doesn't last long.
2. Our grout color is already dark, so as it discolors, we won't notice it.

Bob says sanded grout is the way to go, but it requires a minimum of 1/8" grout line, which is in conflict with wood look. He said it's a common mistake to do tight grout lines with light colored non-sanded grout.

we just got lucky that we aren't in that camp.

btw, nice guy, very helpful, talked himself out of $1300 worth of work (1300 sq feet plus backsplash).

yeah he was very nice guy. knew his stuff.

irvinehomeowner said:
When we had our kitchen tile counter grout regrouted, the company said they used a self-sealing urethane grout.

Not sure if works for floor installations but here is the link (and it says can be used on floor tiles):
http://www.bostik-us.com/our-brands/quartzlock-2™
Urethane can be used on floors. Installers like it bc it's much easier to work with than epoxy. Epoxy can double the time needed for install so it gets expensive on both labor and material. Only issue on urethane is for the self-sealing to work, the tile must stay totally dry for about the first 7 days after install.

The builder re-grouted my wood tile to try to rectify the sharp edges.  The result isn't perfect but much better than before.  Finished the painting this weekend and here's a couple pics of the floor and an accent wall.  Getting some custom cabinetry in today to fill the void. 

Attachments

• floor01.JPG
    floor01.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 361
  • floor02.JPG
    floor02.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 311
ps9 said:
Whats that round thing in the middle of the floor?  Water drain for island?

Haha no, it's an electrical outlet for a floor lamp.  I don't think ill use it but the couch will cover it anyhow.

aquabliss said:
ps9 said:

Haha no, it's an electrical outlet for a floor lamp.  I don't think ill use it but the couch will cover it anyhow.

I could use one of those, was it standard or an upgrade? 

ps9 said:
aquabliss said:
ps9 said:

I could use one of those, was it standard or an upgrade? 

Pretty sure it's standard.  I bought a standing inventory but it wasn't listed in the upgrade list.

Aquabliss - I just saw the photo of your wood like tile floor and really like it.  Do you mind telling me the brand/name of the tile, and how wide the the grout is?  Thanks.

moonchild508 said:
Aquabliss - I just saw the photo of your wood like tile floor and really like it.  Do you mind telling me the brand/name of the tile, and how wide the the grout is?  Thanks.

Thanks MC, it's Bedrosians Kensington Grey:http://www.bedrosians.com/en/product/detail/porcelain/kensington-tile/?itemNo=TCRWK29G

They have a showroom in Orange where your contractor can buy it, very affordable and its held up quite well.  I'm actually using the Taupe color on my outdoor patio and I think I like it a bit better but it's very similar.

The grout is 3/16th", this is a sore subject for me as I asked for 1/8th" but the builder wouldn't do it.

If you get a good enough contractor have them do 1/16th" if they are confident and experienced enough, this would be best.

Back