Hardwood vs. Wood Looking Tile

OpenSky said:
We just signed with Floor Expo in fountain valley to do our wood-look tile.

The tile is gorgeous (gray-blue tone with grain texture -- sounds terrible but it will "take your breath away") and we negotiated to $9 per square foot installed, including demo of A LOT of existing tile, materials, etc.

Correction on my other post regarding tile install... the demo cost from HD and Lowes is $2.80 per foot, plus $4/foot install plus material... even with your 10% coupon on tile you're over $10/foot, and that's the cheap stuff.

I'll post pics once installed.

Can't wait to see!

Instead of cleaning the grout if it gets dirty, I just re-grout it again...covers up the stain.

OpenSky said:
We just signed with Floor Expo in fountain valley to do our wood-look tile.

The tile is gorgeous (gray-blue tone with grain texture -- sounds terrible but it will "take your breath away") and we negotiated to $9 per square foot installed, including demo of A LOT of existing tile, materials, etc.

Correction on my other post regarding tile install... the demo cost from HD and Lowes is $2.80 per foot, plus $4/foot install plus material... even with your 10% coupon on tile you're over $10/foot, and that's the cheap stuff.

I'll post pics once installed.

Did you take any pics of it in the showroom?  I'd like to see as well.

bones said:
GH said:
Tyler Durden said:
When we were landscaping, i thought about the wood tile for outside, but ultimately chose pavers because i didn't want the area around the pool to be super slippery for people.

my wife is actually contemplating on that now, using the same wood tile for landscaping so it looks like indoor/outdoor one big area. i'm not sure if it's a good idea though...

hey GH - if you and your wife wants to see how this looks, one of the Heights models at Baker Ranch does this wood-looking tile in the indoor and then extends it through all the outdoor space/cali room.  Looks nice.

went to see the model units in BR and saw this wood looking tile. wife hated it! we're screwed since the builder cut off is already way past and there's no backing out. wife can't get past the white grout the BR model used. we picked a grout that's the nearest color to our wood looking tile so i'm hoping it's not as bad. i don't understand why Toll Brothers showed white grout on their dark wood looking tile?

OpenSky said:
This pic doesn't do it justice -- the floor is going in now and it looks/feels incredible. The gaps are 1/16" or less, and they are matching the grout to the wood.

WoodLookTile.jpg

My only regret is that we didn't do more of it!

After tile, the next step is eradicating the circa 2003 butter-colored walls.

wow.. that looks good.. Hope ours will be as good as that :)

OpenSky, can you share the brand of the woodtile that you used that allowed for grout to be as little as 1/16" ?

OpenSky said:
Small world... I don't want to make it worse, but we almost picked that tile. BuildDirect sent us a box of various samples, we like that one best because it was dark - the high contrast look was attractive and we liked the texture of it.

The problem is, if it is the tile I think it is, it's glazed. If you have a sample of it, brush the edge of a key along it. It scratches very easily and the material isn't the same all the way through.

Look for "through body porcelain" -- when it chips (and chip it will), the color is the same throughout and it will mask the imperfection.

thanks.  We're just hoping for the best.  We should have read more of TI before we decided on it  ;D  Personally, I'm not really very particular with the finer details, but my wife is and she get easily irrirated with minor imperfections .. oh well ..

I'm going with the plank tile in the attached picture in my new PP home. 

We were looking at hundreds of options in the design center and after all that decided that we liked best the one that they actually had installed on their floors - plus we'll have white cabinets and brown quartz counters (similar to the color scheme in the pic) and it all seemed to go pretty well together. 

Also I'm sure that floor has had tons of traffic (and swatches/samples dropped on it) and it seems to have held up quite well.

I know flooring from the builder's design center is usually outrageous but the price was a lot less than we estimated so we just went ahead and did it through them.  I also was worried that the built in fridge I'm getting (builder included this in the sale of my standing inventory home) would be at risk of getting damaged if an outside flooring contractor had to move it while doing demo and installing new floors.  Now I can rest a bit easier...

Attachments

• floor1.JPG
    floor1.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 331
OpenSky said:
Here are a couple more shots of the install... this is Day 1 post-demo. Expecting it done (1300 sq ft) by Friday.

Zoom of the grout line, sans grout:

The tile looks amazing!!  And those grout line looks so tight,  it looks like 1/32 or smaller.  Your will never get grout this tight from the new home builders.

do they use a special grout to get in there? just seems like  it would be hard to get the grout in all the way.

Back