Hardwood vs. Wood Looking Tile

jerometl

Thoughts please?

I know hardwood is popular but is it practical? Hardwood scratches easily, costs more and is harder to maintain than wood looking tile, but how come I rarely see these wood looking tile around? Anyone have wood looking tile installed? Do you love it or hate it?

I like my wood looking tile.  It was $1.75 / sq foot.  It is near indestructible and looks great.

irvinehomeowner said:
I would not mine wood-looking tile... even the wood-looking laminate (check out Urban Plates).

I thought I was the only one checking out decor in a business.  I like the sunken ceilings and crown mouldings at SCP's Forever 21 :)

Thought about it.  I actually wanted tile with the wood look.  However I was persuaded to engineer wood because:

--- still requires grout lines
--- feels super cold in the winter
--- falling on it or dropping something on tile means :( :(  :(

The grout line was my deal breaker.

bones said:
ps9 said:
irvinehomeowner said:
I would not mine wood-looking tile... even the wood-looking laminate (check out Urban Plates).

I thought I was the only one checking out decor in a business.  I like the sunken ceilings and crown mouldings at SCP's Forever 21 :)

And of course you shop at XXI. I've actually never been inside that one!

Only on bag carrying duty/baby sitting.  I don't fit the guy clothes they sell.  If only they have a bench for the guys to sit and maybe Sportscenter to watch.  I bet the wives/gfs will have more time to buy stuff there.  I usually end up staring at the walls and ceiling.

Wood tile is harder so that's the one thing to consider.  It might look great.. but I'm also into feeling comfortable when walking around the home.  Gotta weigh the pros and cons I suppose.  I'm considering Eng Wood for my first floor.

jmoney74 said:
Wood tile is harder so that's the one thing to consider.  It might look great.. but I'm also into feeling comfortable when walking around the home.  Gotta weigh the pros and cons I suppose.  I'm considering Eng Wood for my first floor.

we had engineered hardwood in our old place in Redondo and have porcelain tile now, i cant tell the difference in comfort level, they are both hard to the touch.  they are both cold in the winter.  this is like comparing asphalt to cement. technically asphalt is softer but if you fall on it both will hurt just as bad. if you are into feeling comfortable when walking around the home go with carpet.

yes both hard.. just a little more give with the wood.  Is engineered wood harder than regular hardwood? 

zubs said:
I like my wood looking tile.  It was $1.75 / sq foot.  It is near indestructible and looks great.

We had Tompkins Flooring quote us for the entire downstairs and they quoted us around $3+ per sq ft including demo. In the end it was price almost equal to the builder. We signed the wood tile flooring option with the builder and now the wife is having second thoughts. We have tiles in our current home now so we're used to it, cleaning and appearance, but my wife is having 2nd thoughts on grout against wood looking tile.

Tyler Durden said:
When we were landscaping, i thought about the wood tile for outside, but ultimately chose pavers because i didn't want the area around the pool to be super slippery for people.

my wife is actually contemplating on that now, using the same wood tile for landscaping so it looks like indoor/outdoor one big area. i'm not sure if it's a good idea though...

irvinehomeowner said:
BTW: If you get rectified wood tiles, you can go very thin or maybe even zero grout lines.

nope, i don't think the builder offers that. we were told grout lines will be 1/8". my wife chose a color closest to the tile as much as possible, but now she's thinking of backing out of the contract because the grout lines are bugging her..our current home has 1/2" grout line..1/8" seems to be negligible to me..but i'm a guy and i don't notice stuff like that...what's scaring her is that it's a big area, entire downstairs - kitchen, great room, den, guest bedroom all tiled

Back