Eastwood Village - what's the consensus today?

A great thing about the Asian community in America, is that they generally refuse to act as victims of an unfair society. This has allowed them to be successful and integrate well.

What grates on most Irvinites about the Mainland Chinese is their new money arrogance and lack of respect for this very generous country. The USA is seen as something to hide out in and take advantage of. A good citizen gives back more than he or she takes. I'm not sure pricing working people out of Southern California is seen as charitable by most.

Tbharvey said:
A great thing about the Asian community in America, is that they generally refuse to act as victims of an unfair society. This has allowed them to be successful and integrate well.

Yet, we don't want them to be too successful.  When their success supercedes the historical majority, our praise turns to resentment, denigration of their barbaric ways, and "white flight".

WTTCHMN said:
Tbharvey said:

Yet, we don't want them to be too successful.  When their success supercedes the historical majority, our praise turns to resentment, denigration of their barbaric ways, and "white flight".
WTTCHMN, you've just defined Liberal/Progressive Altruism: "we'll will shower you with benefits, so long as you stay beneath me."

@YellowBB:

Actually, I think it was me who was offended by your usage of the N word.

I can't speak for eyephone, but if you use it in reference to people, it's not kosher. If you use it to describe a product, it depends on context.

There are multiple times where you have used it in different forms (even a few times you remove the 'N' and use "'groes") but because you are referring to people of African American descent, it is offensive.

That's just my opinion.

This is an anonymous (mostly) forum and we all say things here that we may not normally say in real life... at least I hope that is the case.

WTTCHMN said:
Tbharvey said:
That's not true at all. I work for a traditional American Corporation (Fortune 150), and the new CEO we are grooming is Asian and all of our employees have shown zero resentment and a lot of positive feedback. If you're a good person with a lot of talent you can do anything. Maybe the road is a little more bumpy along the way, but that's not what I've seen for this guy. He's young, and has had a very successful career thusfar.

In my opinion, no one attacked you. It looks like you are the one doing the attacking.

YellowFever said:
cheetos said:
If you were just telling us how rude a person was and wanted us to know who it was by adding a descriptor then it's OK. But just to say the 'black' or the 'asian' or the 'blonde' is wrong. Because the descriptor is there for no reason.

cheetos, you want to attack me too?  I didn't do anything to you.  But I'm going to throw you into the same basket of deplorables with eyephone.  You sir or lady, are obviously a hypocrite too and apply a double standard.  If you do a search, tons of people on here use the word "mainlander" which is also deemed offensive.  Yet people use it freely on here as well.  Am I offended with the usage?  Sure, cuz I'm a mainlander myself.  But I don't bitch about it.  So don't apply a double standard to me.  'mainlander' is far worse than saying 'black'.  I've heard the news use the word 'black' man on KCAL9 more times than not but never once "mainlander". 

This forum seems to have a bias against yellow folks but there aren't yellow folks on here willing to defend themselves.  But you don't see me bitching about it.  And why can't I specify an "adjective" or a "descriptor" in front of a noun?  The news does it (see below).

2wf1l5s.jpg

As you can see here, cbs2 writes the word "black men" in their articles. 

Cheetos, why don't you go out on the street, verbally protest that CBS2 new's article use of "black men" is not justified.  Then come back and talk to me!http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016/08/16/men-tactical-gear-peaceful-protest/
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-hate-crime-irvine-20160331-story.html  ("Asian man's attack on black sibilings....")

Don't apply a double standard!!  That ain't cool at all!

Mainlander is offensive.  Mainland Chinese is proper.  You don't see me calling white people "cracker" on here!  They'd bust out the whip!

YellowFever said:
Instead of wasting your energy on a guy like me using offensive words on the "internet", (yet there are billions of people on a million more forums doing far worse)...

I agree that there are many forums that are far worse but I am not active in those forums. I am active in this one, therefore I voice my opinion.

... we should be focusing on why Chicago PD is such a racist department, killing so much black people.  I may use the word, but cops are literally killing these sobs. This upsets me so much and we need to fix society because you know what, BLM !!  ;)  Now this, is an injustice.

True, but again, that isn't really a focus of TI, that would be TalkChicago.

Whereas, people on TI only selectively choose to target/discriminate specifically mainlanders and air their grievances with them.  That is more "racist" to me.  And that is my opinion.

While it does seem "racist", the aspect of demographics in Irvine and how they behave is actually a focus of TI, thus topically applicable. I'm sure if IrvinePD were killing any certain race, that would also be discussed.

However, I do think you are one of the few using derogatory labels/terms towards people of Asian decent which I also find unnecessary but you have admitted you purposely use these terms to attract attention to your comments. I just think in a few years time, you may see how you could have better phrased your opinion and still get your point across.

And again, just my opinion, carry on as you prefer and don't pull a scorched TI as that seems to be the response when I share my "member conduct" opinions.

YellowFever said:
eyephone said:
You previously made a statement about how you were treated at the sales office, so I just asked you to clarify.
In regards to the product, I really don't know about that brand and product line, so I can't make a comment.

I can't let you off that easily.  You said that word offended you.  Therefore, why are you applying a double standard?  Metaphorically speaking, that's like saying, white people should be allowed to sit in front of the bus, but slant eyed people must sit in the back.  Then, when you, a slant eyed person, gets on the bus, you decide you want to sit on the front of the bus. 

You're evading from the question of whether or not that word on that bottle is offensive.  Instead, you are labeling the fact that it is on a vodka bottle, you appear to be indifferent and have no comment, but when it is used openly it is not.  So then are you saying that if Toyota released a new car called it the "Toyota Chink", you would have no comment, because quite simply, you know nothing about the brand or model of that car or how many horsepower it has?  But when some white folk calls you a 'chink', you would be offended?  This is a perfect example of why I think azn's are pussies and you represent one of them because you fail to act when duty calls.

Just a friendly tip, it doesn't make your self look good by calling people names.
#unbelievable

eyephone said:
YellowFever said:
eyephone said:
You previously made a statement about how you were treated at the sales office, so I just asked you to clarify.
In regards to the product, I really don't know about that brand and product line, so I can't make a comment.

I can't let you off that easily.  You said that word offended you.  Therefore, why are you applying a double standard?  Metaphorically speaking, that's like saying, white people should be allowed to sit in front of the bus, but slant eyed people must sit in the back.  Then, when you, a slant eyed person, gets on the bus, you decide you want to sit on the front of the bus. 

You're evading from the question of whether or not that word on that bottle is offensive.  Instead, you are labeling the fact that it is on a vodka bottle, you appear to be indifferent and have no comment, but when it is used openly it is not.  So then are you saying that if Toyota released a new car called it the "Toyota Chink", you would have no comment, because quite simply, you know nothing about the brand or model of that car or how many horsepower it has?  But when some white folk calls you a 'chink', you would be offended?  This is a perfect example of why I think azn's are pussies and you represent one of them because you fail to act when duty calls.

Just a friendly tip, it doesn't make your self look good by calling people names.
#unbelievable
Maybe, maybe not. He's pretty damn funny though. I nearly choked on my coffee this morning when I read "Toyota Chink."

Back