Dow?

I'm not buying stocks anymore, the one time I buy in the Dow drops 1000 points.  Sticking with my 1.25% savings acct

eyephone said:
The market just opened 12 minutes ago, and it's down 350.

Looks like it's recovering, only down a little over 100 for now.  It's going to be an interesting day.

Also check out 10 year treasury, briefly plummet below 2%, at 1.87%.  Currently, it's slightly bove 2%. 

morekaos said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
morekaos said:
At least as far as the Dow in concerned, at just past the halfway mark, we find it up 2.3% as of today.  In January I said, "Again, I see a very volatile year, mostly up and down but probably trendless."  I will stick to that prediction but notice the "media" talks about the markets as if they are up 20-30%.  Not so Joe.
Volatility has been down a good bit this year, except for a few short lived mini spikes.  I'll take that all day long. 

A 500+ point swing in 2 days to spin wheels in the same spot....yah, I'd call that volatility.

Now down around 2.8% year to date...yawn.  Been long the vix and buying domestic oils into the weakness.  Easy pickings.  Remember we were at 15440 in February (just 6 months ago).  Flat markets are a traders wet dream but an investors frustrating nightmare.

when the dow was down 350+ down today i bought the following: F, BAC, AA, PBR and WFM.  sold towards the end of the day, except i kept PBR/BAC. nice little profit.

PS9 - hopefully you havent sold your SPY - it will bounce back man. it always does.  watch tomorrow the market will be up 200+ points.

qwerty said:
when the dow was down 350+ down today i bought the following: F, BAC, AA, PBR and WFM.  sold towards the end of the day, except i kept PBR/BAC. nice little profit.

PS9 - hopefully you havent sold your SPY - it will bounce back man. it always does.  watch tomorrow the market will be up 200+ points.
Yeah, we may get a dead cat bounce tomorrow but the market, with this recently drop, has done a lot of technical damage.  Ultimately I think we might head lower in the near term.  I started selling VIX puts last week and this week.

USCTrojanCPA said:
qwerty said:

Yeah, we may get a dead cat bounce tomorrow but the market, with this recently drop, has done a lot of technical damage.  Ultimately I think we might head lower in the near term.  I started selling VIX puts last week and this week.

i agree, i think the bleeding stops right after the official correction (10% drop), then it will begin its steady march back to 17K+, since this morning we were not to far the official 10% drop i figured it was a good time to buy some stock.  there is no where else to put the money to get a return.

so on the next dip im going to buy SSO, whatever the S&P500 goes up/down in a day times 2. good luck everybody.

irvinehomeowner said:
#qwerdaytrader

day trading is my escape. when i was younger i used to go to vegas 3-4 times a year, with a kid it makes it very hard to go, so this is how i cope with my degenerate gambling addiction.

qwerty said:
irvinehomeowner said:
#qwerdaytrader

day trading is my escape. when i was younger i used to go to vegas 3-4 times a year, with a kid it makes it very hard to go, so this is how i cope with my degenerate gambling addiction.

All these times I thought you were just pulling our legs.  How much money do you invest on average and what is the average payback on day trades?  To get in when AAPL is 99 and then get out at 101, the number of stocks (and hence amount you are investing) should be large enough for it to be worthwhile.  And on top of it you can afford a $900K house on your salary alone and you can still post on TI during work day.  How do I convince my kids to select a career path like yours?  I am too old and too dumb to change now ;D

Irvine Dream said:
qwerty said:
irvinehomeowner said:
#qwerdaytrader

All these times I thought you were just pulling our legs.  How much money do you invest on average and what is the average payback on day trades?  To get in when AAPL is 99 and then get out at 101, the number of stocks (and hence amount you are investing) should be large enough for it to be worthwhile.  And on top of it you can afford a $900K house on your salary alone and you can still post on TI during work day.  How do I convince my kids to select a career path like yours?  I am too old and too dumb to change now ;D

when i trade apple im buying 1000 shares at a time. if it is a 10-20 stock then i may do 2,000-3000 shares on a particular trade.  on average i shoot to net (gains-losses) of about $500/day.  i dont trade every day as work occasionally gets in the way, but 2-3 days a week i trade. sometimes i just sit a wait for a particular stock to drop then buy it (like AAPL).  i like to get in and get out fast, i dont like over night positions. i like PBR because it is very volatile and can hit may daily target pretty fast. with PBR, i can buy as little as 1,000 shares for 15-16K and get back 2-3% for the day. in general i buy in larger dollar amounts to get to my target and then be done.  so on apple, the return is around 1% per day, but that is just for the day, not annualized.

Back